Smartbooks?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

tomleem

Smartbooks?

Post by tomleem »

I read that there will be about 20 smartbooks coming out in the beginning of next year. :ugeek:
"Ready or not; 2010 Could Be The Year Of The Smartbook"
http://www.liliputing.com/2009/12/ready ... books.html
[ external image ]
Could ReactOS run on a smartbook? :?:

:geek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

swight

Re: Smartbooks?

Post by swight »

The problem I would suspect would be the ARM processors. I do seem to remember an ARM porting effort but I don't know what the full results of that effort was. Even if it did work there would likely be issues with running windows applications unless there was some sort of emulation layer to handle the conversion of x86(AMD,Intel,ect.) instructions to ARM instructions.

elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

ARM port is being actively developed, at a quite slower rate than x86 one, though

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

elhoir wrote:ARM port is being actively developed, at a quite slower rate than x86 one, though
I'm not sure what gives you that impression, I would say the ARM port is moving along at the same speed, possibly even quicker than x86.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Ged wrote:
elhoir wrote:ARM port is being actively developed, at a quite slower rate than x86 one, though
I'm not sure what gives you that impression, I would say the ARM port is moving along at the same speed, possibly even quicker than x86.
I think, curently x86 at least boots, while ARM port isnt arriving to explorer.exe. Maybe it is moving currently at the same speed, but x86 is currently more usable than ARM port(because first was moving since more time ago).

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

vicmarcal wrote:
Ged wrote:
I think, curently x86 at least boots, while ARM port isnt arriving to explorer.exe. Maybe it is moving currently at the same speed, but x86 is currently more usable than ARM port(because first was moving since more time ago).
The statement was about development speed, no one mentioned usability.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Ged wrote:
vicmarcal wrote: I think, curently x86 at least boots, while ARM port isnt arriving to explorer.exe. Maybe it is moving currently at the same speed, but x86 is currently more usable than ARM port(because first was moving since more time ago).
The statement was about development speed, no one mentioned usability.
Sure, i was just adding extra info from my POV :)