Which your favorite programming language??

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tobi

Re: Which your favorite programming language??

Post by Tobi » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:29 pm

I like languages with a synthax easy to understand. Like Pascal/Delphi (and other members of the Wirth family).

Strong typing helps preventing you from producing some quick'n'dirty, buggy code. And I will never get used to the case sensivity of C, or its IMHO strange operators like &&. Or typing } instead of END; ;) Of course you can also use OOP for a Pascal project if you want.. 8-)

Sometimes it almost seems to me that C was designed complicated intentionally...

The early versions of basic (Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) were designed for limited home computers during the 80's and often mislead programmers producing the famous spaghetti code... Nevertheless I have to admit that the language (QBasic - Visual Basic) has improved a lot over the years, but I prefer Pascal. :lol:

ADA is also nice, but the aviable programming tools are very limited... :roll:

chris319

Post by chris319 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:17 am

I'm a big fan of PureBasic which does not run on ReactOS at the moment.

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:08 pm

Delphi, good language but shocking IDE quality. C is such a horable language, pitty its so popular. if the world had taken on some other language the worlds software would be far more advanced and less buggy. case sensitive - what were they thinking.

Posterbot

Post by Posterbot » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:59 pm

My favorite is Visual Basic and the Net framework. It's the easiest language to learn. It's Free (the free version - Visual Studio Express) You can do most things with the express version that you can do with the retail version, you may just have to find a workaround for features not implemented in the express version.

There are TONS of free learning tools and information about it. That's the nice thing about the Net framework.. No matter if you use C or C++, Visual C or Visual Basic, you can make the same program that works with Net (or to say that works with Windows). No need to learn C or C++ if you can do the same thing with Visual Basic.. And you can.

To me, that is the ultimate test of React OS. To be able to run Visual Studio and have your apps work in React OS with no problems. of course this means you would have to build something kin to the Net Framework that makes Net Framework app compatible.

jorl17

Post by jorl17 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:50 pm

C and C++

They have come to where they are because they are fast and make sense. With C and C++ I can almost always visualize the assembly code as I type in C(++) code. With some other languages I just feel stuck in millions of layers and black-holes.

led-bloon

Post by led-bloon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:48 pm

I use English
English c, English x86 Assembler and English Basic
I know a little French of the above.
And less German of the above (provided it's got variables called 'schwartz' or 'verboten') :lol:

Seriously though:
For those that said Basic - have you checked out RapidQ - even though it's an interpreted basic output, it
is quick, has support and lots of examples. It's free. It compiles/runs (with minor glitches) in ReactOS ;)
AMD Athlon 2650e - Windows XP Home SP3 - VMWare Player v2

b4dc0d3r

Post by b4dc0d3r » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:00 pm

Favorite? x86 assembly, MASM style. NASM, but more frequently IDA + hiew (if you understand that then you understand).

No matter what you're doing, it's probably going to boil down to ASM. I consider any other language to be just abstractions on top of ASM. C is portable ASM, C++ is abstracted C. Java and .NET are copiled to ASM (for a virtual processor, but there's no reason you couldn't have a hardware interpreter AFAIK). Not x86, but still ASM. And it's funny that we went from "compile to ASM" to "interpreted languages" back to "compile to (virtual) ASM". PHP, Perl, it's all interpreted using something that compiles to ASM.

So why not know what your program is doing? You don't have to, but someone will have to port it to whatever's after x64 and maybe the phones, so someone needs to write a compiler that outputs the ASM.

Most common is C# (work) or for quick stuff C++ (C with some elements of C++ if they make life easier) or for really quick stuff VBS. If I want to have something I will use it's going to be MSVC6 with fixed C++ headers, but I'm leaning towards MSVS 2005 now.

@Posterbot - Mono is the .NET platform http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

krishnaswami.kaushik

Post by krishnaswami.kaushik » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:08 pm

python is my favorite programming language with very high productivity which only the openjdk (eclipse) and mono can match, which however is slow for very low level programming for which we inevitably need to turn for c, pascal, c++, d, etc.
ruby is equally productive with the added advantage of a 50-50 resemblance to both python and perl but is however slower than both and in fact all except basic (eg mbas), but when used in web applications, ruby in the form of rails is supreme both in terms of speed as well as productivity which is matched only with django (python), perl5-catalyst and cakephp (php).
c and c++ are excellent for low level programming but they need more lines of code.
as per the wikipedia the d-programming language in the form of gdc under mingw (usable from codeblocks) is the most compatbile between c (eg gcc), python (eg pygtk) and ruby (eg gtk2-ruby), it is thus the perfectly missing link for something both as productive as python/ruby and at the same time suitable for lower level which the c++ (g++) can do.
however there are very few who are expert in d (eg gdc), and at the same time d can replace only c++ but never c.
the only language which can substitute c (eg gcc) itself is freepascal (eg gtkfp)
so, the use of gtkfp (freepascal), gdc (d), pygtk (python)/gtk2-ruby (ruby), and django/rails (for web), etc will be one of the many ways to cover most of the requirements but I still feel that c (eg gcc) and c++ (g++) are a must which cannot be done without them (however i don't know whether the reason is speed as far as comparison of the pairs such as c-pascal and c++-d).
likewise we can also think of or the comparison of d+python (or /d+ruby) with c# (or /java).
but the most difficult should be the assembly language which I doubt if it is used to make the binary still faster to run than the c/pascal itself.

krishnaswami.kaushik

Post by krishnaswami.kaushik » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:07 pm

basic is the simplest language offering a wide range of the set of OOPS classes such as the use of gtkbasic and wxbasic via freebasic/gambas frameworks, fbide/geany/gambas ide and glade designer (for freebasic and geany), or the gtk#basic from mono's mbas compiler (and glade designer). then there is the kbasic (qtbasic) for all os, objectivebasic (cocoa-basic) for macosx, java's jbasic based on its own javabeans and swing, not to mention of the two famous types of msforms-basic in realbasic and vsdotnet's vb compiler.
If you are looking for basic making presence in all three os then choose kbasic, mono-mbas, realbasic and jbasic; but if you particularly want to focus on the best know basic of each os, then choose vsdotnet-vb for windows, gambas for linux and objectivebasic for macosx.
the only uncovered areas of basic are: 1) carbon-basic is not available 2) wxbasic cannot exist in macosx and until recently basic had the edge till these OOPS began to be extended as reusable from all other programming languages -- which currently python and ruby has the edge over basic.
IDEs of gtkbasic and wxbasic for freebasic compiler: fbide (windows), fbas (windows), geany (windows, linux), glade (only for designing using radrails, windows, linux);
Limitations: Although basic including the freebasic can connect to databases such as postgresql and mysql, web2 implementation (ndotnet, mod_mono) is not possible for many of these except the more well known ones in vsdotnet-vb, mono-mbas, realbasic, etc.

python and ruby can use every available types of the c/pascal/c++/c#/java based OOPS classes such as gtk, wx, qt, msforms, cocoa, javabean/swing (jfc), and previously even the carbon (support removed from latest versions of python, ruby, perl, etc)

Best IDE for python: boa-constructor (wx, all os, written in wxpython), spe (wx, all-os, written in wxpython, one of the best python ides for macosx), pida (gtk, linux, available as pida.py for all os, written in pygtk), geany, eric (qt, linux and macosx, available as eric.py for all os, written in pyqt), pyscripter (gtk, wx, qt, windows-only, but ide written in delphi-pascal, one of the best ides for windows) -- so for windows only the best option is pyscripter and boa-constructor; pida has been successfully compiled and run in pclinuxos-gnome, windows (under python>=2.5 and not <=2.4) after fulfilling all pygtk dependencies including glade;
but ironically eclipse (gtk/qt/wx, all widgets, python/jython, ruby/jruby) and netbeans (javabean+swing (jfc), python/jython, ruby/jruby) has overtaken all as best ide for python and ruby too; Eclipse and Netbeans provide support for django and rails too;

Best IDE for ruby: AptanaStudio (javabean/swing (jfc) usable both from ruby and jruby, all os), Eclipse, Netbeans; but if one has to use gtk/qt/wx then emacs, vim, geany, etc are the solutions.

web2 configurability in webservers: django, rails, etc configurable in IISServer (nwsgi, monorail, fastcgi (python2.2), cgi), ApacheWebserver (mod_wsgi, mod_fcgi (python2.2), mod_python, mod_ruby, mod_cgi), AbyssWebserver (mainly for rails), Xitami (only fastcgi (python2.2) and cgi available), etc whereas others such as webkit (webware for python) at present can be run only from ApacheWebserver (mod_webkit);
web2 known more from windows than other os: spyce (python) which uses ApacheWebserver (mod_python, mod_fcgi (python2.2), mod_cgi) or even IISServer (fastcgi (python2.2), cgi);
name of rails for different os: rails (linux), locomotive2 (macosx), ror2 (windows) -- but locomotive2 (windows) and ror2 (macosx) are drivers for games which if installed may adversely affect windows' graphics at least so care has to be taken while choosing without confusion.

however in case of pascal and d currently there are only restricted choices of OOPS available, although the carbon itself is a pascal based OOPS
so far the set of widgets (object oriented class layers), which are equally usable both from freepascal as well as d are: 1) gtk (gtkfp and gtkD) 2) wx (wxfp and wxd) 3) msforms (delphi and dmd), etc
that leaves out others such as carbon (pascal based widgets not available from d), cocoa (pascocoa; not available from d), svg (eclipse based widgets also usable from d; not mentioned for pascal), qt (pascal needs only a flat qtfp layer; not available from d)
Best IDE for pascal: Lazarus (freepascal) (amongst others the Borland Delphi does not include the gtkfp, wxfp and qtfp based OOPS)
Best IDE for d: CodeBlocks (gdc) or XCode (gdc, macosx) (amongst others the poseidon ide (dmd) does not include the gtkD, wxd and qtD based OOPS)
web2: as there is no direct web2 implementation of pascal or d yet, so the more well known ones are used;

If one were to opt for using multiple programming languages in one single IDE , then Eclipse, Emacs, Vim, Geany, XCode (Macosx), etc will be good enough for all such as python, ruby, c, c++, d, gcj (openjdk), etc except pascal, d, c#.
For c# the MonoDevelop is the best way for using gtk#, and is also configurable with the wx# and qt#. Recently even the latest vsdotnet includes the gtk# and glade.
Last edited by krishnaswami.kaushik on Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 38 times in total.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:01 pm

Its cool if you are good at python. If you would like to help our project, we might need some python-capable hand at buildbot, written in that language.

krishnaswami.kaushik

Post by krishnaswami.kaushik » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:13 am

oh, yes sure.
Last edited by krishnaswami.kaushik on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

reakt100

Post by reakt100 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:27 pm

led-bloon wrote:For those that said Basic - have you checked out RapidQ - even though it's an interpreted basic output, it
I googled about RapidQ, it seems to be abandoned in year 2000?

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:17 pm

reakt100 wrote:
led-bloon wrote:For those that said Basic - have you checked out RapidQ - even though it's an interpreted basic output, it
I googled about RapidQ, it seems to be abandoned in year 2000?
http://rapidq.phatcode.net/download/index.shtml
I don't think development stoped, I think it just became slow; however, the newest file is from this year.

zydon

Post by zydon » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:23 pm

led-bloon wrote:Seriously though:
For those that said Basic - have you checked out RapidQ - even though it's an interpreted basic output, it
is quick, has support and lots of examples. It's free. It compiles/runs (with minor glitches) in ReactOS ;)
I'll take RapidQ in any days. It's simple, fast and no fuss to create application and prototypes in minutes. Not bad for an abandon programming language. Based on it's users community at Yahoo Group, it make RapidQ quite easy to learn and progressing.

Frost

Post by Frost » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:38 am

Hell, I'm the only one who still writes in fortran? :lol:

I'd like to learn python but Im'm still stacked in fortran :mrgreen: