KS2009: How Google uses Linux [LWN.net]

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

KS2009: How Google uses Linux [LWN.net]

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Since it's always interesting to learn what other tech communities get up to, thought I would point this article out to you guys:

http://lwn.net/Articles/357658/
unofficialforum

cool article

Post by unofficialforum »

if google is using perforce over an open alternative, it must be an amazing system.

...aha, they're moving to git! it must be really amazing. free or non-free, it's not surprising to me that they rely on something that allows them to make and modify unlimited copies. i can't imagine them trying to get by at the mercy of another corporate entity. but using a free operating system is one thing... the idea of a revision control system that fits google's needs is unreal. i'm sure the git team is beaming.

i like this:
This separation of classes is done partly through the separation of each machine into a large number of fake "NUMA nodes."
i'd be surprised if there isn't already a song about it on youtube. one of these days i'll have to learn "real programming" so i can say things like "SCHED_GIDLE" and "HTB queueing discipline," although i'll never be one if you have to say that with a straight face. you guys must have a great time coding ros. put SCHED_GIDLE in there if you can, even if it doesn't do anything. please? oh and if for nothing else the article is awesome for explaning "offline memory." anyone that doesn't know what that is must read.