Nute's Private Playground

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Haos
Test Team

Re: Nute's Private Playground

Post by Haos »

Clearly, our project doesn`t stand up to your standards. Unfortunately, we have no will to change anything just because you dont like it and feel like having to vent this dislike on forum. The thing that you show no apparent will to assist our project with anything is not helping either. Like i said before, we are not promising anything, bar possibilities, limitations, WYSIWYG. Same as before, accept it or leave us be.
nute

Post by nute »

I have never called anyone stupid. ReactOS is developing slowly and if this pace doesn't pick up
it doesn't bode well for the project. At least Syllable doesn't crash every 5 minutes like ReactOS
does. Certainly Syllable has a long ways to go, but so far it looks like Syllable is coming together
nicely.

What I see is a project that is a hobby that won't work as a hobby because the rate of development
is not fast enough for it to stabilize before noone has any interest in using it. What are needed are
paid developers with the necessary skill set to guide the project and deal with some of the more major
bugs. Why should I make a miniscule donation if it isn't going to make ReactOS come out any faster?
If the foundation isn't going to make the needed effort to raise money and convince talented people
to make ReactOS their day job, why should I donate anything?

I'm not the only one who has pressed for a harder time line for ReactOS. I doubt that I will be the last
one who does.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Noone cares if a nobody and troublemaker from the forums presses for anything. you always Complain about anything and never helped us in any way. you have no clue of real life and how much time is left these days for something like a hobby. go Back to your fluffy dreamland and leave us alone!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Holy place is never empty.

On the place of a killed troll will arrive another troll
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

nute wrote:I have never called anyone stupid.
Oh really?
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... erk#p57382
Z98, why are you being such a jerk?
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... erk#p48382
EdmuandCO, you are a huge jerk
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... erk#p29461
Geez oiaohm, [...]Listen up jerk, what is obvious to you clearly isn't obvious to everyone.
The last one is especially neat, whole thread named
oiaohm, back off
. Care to comment?
What I see is a project that is a hobby that won't work as a hobby because the rate of development
is not fast enough for it to stabilize before noone has any interest in using it.
Its fine by me.

What are needed are paid developers with the necessary skill set to guide the project and deal with some of the more major bugs.
Even if we had money, such developers are of scarce number, most of them already employed/w. signed MS NDA.
Why should I make a miniscule donation if it isn't going to make ReactOS come out any faster? If the foundation isn't going to make the needed effort to raise money and convince talented people to make ReactOS their day job, why should I donate anything?
I never asked for a single penny from you. Never would ask anyone to donate to ReactOS. People are doing it of their free will only, not because we ask them to do so.
I'm not the only one who has pressed for a harder time line for ReactOS. I doubt that I will be the last one who does.
You are in no position to press for anything.
florian

Post by florian »

nute wrote:I can't help but wonder with 0.3.11 taking as long as it is to come out if there are more
blockers between 0.3.11 and 0.5.0 that are going to delay reaching beta.
I guess that we can expect many blockers but are many blockers a big surprise in such a difficult project - no.
nute wrote:Is the amount of work to make a free Windows compatible OS more than the amount of
work it would take to make Linux versions of popular programs? How much more? [...] I don't see why as much as people can profit from a Windows alternative that runs the same software on the same hardware for free why they aren't paid at all. The ReactOS foundation should be able to raise more funds, especially if it can predict that the funding will allow it to reach certain milestones by certain dates.
I don't know. But do you really suggest that our developers should make Linux versions of popular programs? Then why should the ReactOS foundation collect money and "pay a programmer or two".
In terms of fundraising there are some efforts done by Aeneas & Co. Instead of only demanding fundraising you can help them. Help them and maybe we get a paid developer...
Changing my OS to Linux or BSD is not an option as I am too lazy. I like the idea to have a small, fast Windows alternative with low system requirements for older computers. To my mind this is a profit and an argument pro ReactOS. Not to mention the end of official NT, XP, Vista support.
nute wrote:The promise of ReactOS is highly dependent on the abilities of the developers to write and debug a Windows compatible OS.
Right - but in context with all of your statements it might has a certain aftertaste.
nute wrote:Yes a prediction can be made based on how much time on average the developers spend working on ReactOS and how productive that time tends to be on how long it will take to reach beta, but that would require cooperation from the developers. One of the biggest criticisms of open source volunteer efforts is that they don't get anything done because there is no time pressure and limited commitment.

You should really know the result or quality of such a prediction. Our developers try to predict 0.3.11 and then we all have to read again and again the same question(s) and comment(s). Although analysing the working time spend by our developers would be as interesting as a controlling would be welcomed by myself, well, I wouldn't like to do or to have it in my spare time after the pressure of university or work.
nute wrote:What are needed are paid developers with the necessary skill set to guide the project and deal with some of the more major bugs. Why should I make a miniscule donation if it isn't going to make ReactOS come out any faster? If the foundation isn't going to make the needed effort to raise money and convince talented people to make ReactOS their day job, why should I donate anything?
Should our developers collect money or code? Aren't our developers skilled enough? Then try to get better and paid ones. Help to get money for it. You even don't have to donate. Just help in developing a marketing-and-fundraising-strategy. Or introduce unknown opensource stuff, which might be helpful to ReactOS (like blackrack always tried).
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

florian wrote:Should our developers collect money or code? Aren't our developers skilled enough? Then try to get better and paid ones. Help to get money for it. You even don't have to donate. Just help in developing a marketing-and-fundraising-strategy. Or introduce unknown opensource stuff, which might be helpful to ReactOS (like blackrack always tried).
Is Blackcrack still around? I haven't seen him in a while. He always added some life to these conversations. Introducing unknown open-source stuff was pretty useful, too. Now ReactOS is getting cooperation from the FullFAT team, (thought it wasn't Blackcrack that found that project), which is always good for an open-source project such as ours.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

RaptorEmperor wrote: Is Blackcrack still around? I haven't seen him in a while. He always added some life to these conversations. Introducing unknown open-source stuff was pretty useful, too. Now ReactOS is getting cooperation from the FullFAT team, (thought it wasn't Blackcrack that found that project), which is always good for an open-source project such as ours.
He got banned, because he was in trouble with EmuandCo

I miss his posts too, it was very funny to read them with his germenglish ^^
They had interesting content the most time too
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

This is fucking ridiculous. I stay away from the forum for two days because of a project and this is what I come back to? Not only do we have continued back and forth between the original participants of the argument, but the topic title was changed to an inflammatory title? This is NOT what moderator access is bloody for. I'm locking this topic.