Netbooks, Netbooks, Netbooks...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

lollebol

Re: Netbooks, Netbooks, Netbooks...

Post by lollebol »

I'm getting a little bit curious about the ssds, now that they are becomming a lot cheaper...
Can ReactOS boot up from an SSD ExpressCard?

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

The actual drive is not a problem, the controller, on the other hand, may be.

linuxguy666

Post by linuxguy666 »

Here's a idea: Let's fork ReactOS and make to a point where we call it NetBookOS! (LOL!)

tomleem

Post by tomleem »

Personally I think that is a great idea. The netbook does not have a lot of hard drive space or memory.If not NetBookOS, perhaps ReactOS; NB? I keep trying each new release to see if it will install onto my Asus EEE 701a PC. I think ReactOS makes more sense than Win7 does when it comes to netbooks. 8-)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

The123king

Post by The123king »

tomleem wrote:Personally I think that is a great idea. The netbook does not have a lot of hard drive space or memory.If not NetBookOS, perhaps ReactOS; NB? I keep trying each new release to see if it will install onto my Asus EEE 701a PC. I think ReactOS makes more sense than Win7 does when it comes to netbooks. 8-)
ReactOS will most likely run on the EeePC hardware, but due to it no CD drive and only USB ports, you won't be able to install ReactOS onto it.

zydon

Post by zydon »

The123king wrote:
tomleem wrote:Personally I think that is a great idea. The netbook does not have a lot of hard drive space or memory.If not NetBookOS, perhaps ReactOS; NB? I keep trying each new release to see if it will install onto my Asus EEE 701a PC. I think ReactOS makes more sense than Win7 does when it comes to netbooks. 8-)
ReactOS will most likely run on the EeePC hardware, but due to it no CD drive and only USB ports, you won't be able to install ReactOS onto it.
I wonder shy can't ReactOS setup running from DOS?

Is it none of any ReactOS developer know how to write a DOS program?

It will solve a lots Netbook and UMPC installation via bootable USB stick.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

It wont solve anything.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Only problem it could solve is when you have both a very old computer that doesn't even support boot from CD(-RW) AND a floppy from Win98 or so, which I guess is so minor fraction of cases it isn't worth the effort.

tomleem

Post by tomleem »

I try installing ROS with each new release. I have yet to get it installed but I will keep trying. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

doomonyou

Post by doomonyou »

sandrarsiegle wrote:which one is the best Netbook available in present market...
pls let me know.....
Depends on what you want to do with it... Some are more portable and some more powerful. For maxium battery life I recommend an Eee PC and for performance, probably a Mini.

livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

This whole discussion is idiotic. I Use a Samsung NC10 as my Reactos test bed. The idea that RoS wouldn't run on a netbook as is, comes down to you simply needing to by a portable CD-Rom drive. Stop being cheap and pickup either a basic usb cdrom or one of the Xbox360 HD DVD drives for $10. What a sad topic. This has been reduced to a Netbook flame war. It's a tool with many feature that one couldn't even dream of years ago. I compair my NC10 to my old HP Notebook with your beloved 3.0 Clocked Prescott. (Yes a Desktop CPU!)

I'd rather use my use my netbook, just because it's light, has an 8 hour battery life, runs MacOs, Has Blue Tooth, Wifi-N, and Tethers To My Phone.

My 3.0ghz Laptop Cant Do half of that, so whats the point of a high clock speed, without the modern features.
Netbooks have their place, and If it cant hack it, then i'll just turn to my 4.0GHZ, 1800MHZ FSB, Raid0 2X 100gb SSD, Core I7 Desktop.

God Help Me If That Cant Handle My Needs!

Netbooks are Tools, and If they aren't meeting your needs then Get A BIGGER TOOL, MHAHA, More POWER! (Tim Allan- The Tool Man)
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer

doomonyou

Post by doomonyou »

livestrong2109 wrote:This whole discussion is idiotic. I Use a Samsung NC10 as my Reactos test bed. The idea that RoS wouldn't run on a netbook as is, comes down to you simply needing to by a portable CD-Rom drive. Stop being cheap and pickup either a basic usb cdrom or one of the Xbox360 HD DVD drives for $10.

Netbooks are Tools, and If they aren't meeting your needs then Get A BIGGER TOOL, MHAHA, More POWER! (Tim Allan- The Tool Man)
A valid and truthful point.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You guys do realize that that was a spambot that posted that thing?

tomleem

Post by tomleem »

livestrong2109 wrote:This whole discussion is idiotic. I Use a Samsung NC10 as my Reactos test bed. The idea that RoS wouldn't run on a netbook as is, comes down to you simply needing to by a portable CD-Rom drive. Stop being cheap and pickup either a basic usb cdrom or one of the Xbox360 HD DVD drives for $10. What a sad topic. This has been reduced to a Netbook flame war. It's a tool with many feature that one couldn't even dream of years ago. I compair my NC10 to my old HP Notebook with your beloved 3.0 Clocked Prescott. (Yes a Desktop CPU!)

I'd rather use my use my netbook, just because it's light, has an 8 hour battery life, runs MacOs, Has Blue Tooth, Wifi-N, and Tethers To My Phone.

My 3.0ghz Laptop Cant Do half of that, so whats the point of a high clock speed, without the modern features.
Netbooks have their place, and If it cant hack it, then i'll just turn to my 4.0GHZ, 1800MHZ FSB, Raid0 2X 100gb SSD, Core I7 Desktop.

God Help Me If That Cant Handle My Needs!

I have tried to install ReactOS onto my Asus EEE 701a netbook using an USB cd drive. It does not install, yet. I have used the latest release (0.3.10) without success. I am waiting for the next release to try again.

Since the Webbook is suppose to have a cd drive built in, it would be nice to see if ROS would install onto it. I have read of another netbook with a built in cd drive but have not found that it is for sale yet. I keep a lookout for both. :)
http://www.liliputing.com/2009/09/webbo ... china.html
[ external image ]
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

swight

Post by swight »

I just recently figured out how to get the install cd iso to boot from usb on my Acer Aspire One. Unfortunately it does nothing once it reaches the first loading screen for the setup.

To pull this much off on a separate computer I
1.used a windows 98se bootdisk image from here http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm to create a floppy bootdisk.
2. used the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool Version found here http://www.bootdisk.com/plan081009/hpflash1.zip to format the pendrive supplying the floppy created in step 1 as the source for the Dos System Files in the "Create A DOS StartUp disk" option.
3. downloaded grub4dos from here http://download.gna.org/grub4dos/ ,Note:newer versions towards the bottom.
4. unzip the file from step 3 to the pen drive.
5.download ReactOS ISO and copy it to the pendrive
6. change the contents of the menu.lst file to the following

Code: Select all

color blue/green yellow/red white/magenta white/magenta
timeout 100

title ReactOS ISO
root (hd0,0)
map /nameoftheiso.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)
rootnoverify (hd32)
boot
7. Boot up the netbook with the pen drive inserted and hit F12 to get to the boot order screen or F2 to go to the setup and change the boot order so that the pen drive comes first(exit and save changes).wait for the grub4dos menu to appear.

8.Select ReactOS ISO from the menu by pressing Enter or "b" the instructions for this are on the screen.

9. press any key when prompted.

10.you are now where I got to.