Netbooks, Netbooks, Netbooks...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

tomleem

Re: Netbooks, Netbooks, Netbooks...

Post by tomleem »

It will be neat to try that. Thank you for the information. :ugeek:

I am hoping the next release of ROS will have USB Support. :geek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

tomleem wrote:It will be neat to try that. Thank you for the information. :ugeek:

I am hoping the next release of ROS will have USB Support. :geek:
Not yet. USB support is almost pretty the same.
swight

Post by swight »

This setup actually should only require usb support from the bios to install to the local hard drive if I did my reading right. The image is actually being saved to a ramdisk before boot due to the --mem option on the map command. Also this is being emulated as a CD(that is what the hd32 is about). With further reading some things that may prevent it from working is protected mode drivers or lack of file access compatible with int 13(since this is how the mapping is done). Lastly I am intending to install ReactOS to the local hard drive, not to the pen drive, so the emulation needs only to last until the install is complete. So theoretically ReactOS should not require USB support to be installed in this method to the local hard drive(not the pen drive).

Also here is a link to some better info than I originally had that includes some of the above info. http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/map.htm#hd32
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

swight wrote:This setup actually should only require usb support from the bios to install to the local hard drive if I did my reading right. The image is actually being saved to a ramdisk before boot due to the --mem option on the map command. Also this is being emulated as a CD(that is what the hd32 is about). With further reading some things that may prevent it from working is protected mode drivers or lack of file access compatible with int 13(since this is how the mapping is done). Lastly I am intending to install ReactOS to the local hard drive, not to the pen drive, so the emulation needs only to last until the install is complete. So theoretically ReactOS should not require USB support to be installed in this method to the local hard drive(not the pen drive).

Also here is a link to some better info than I originally had that includes some of the above info. http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/map.htm#hd32
I will check out the link. Thank you for the information. :geek:
:ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
reub2000

Post by reub2000 »

I'd be interested in seeing reactos running on netbooks too. Netbooks don't need all of the bloat thats in Windows 7.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

reub2000 wrote:I'd be interested in seeing reactos running on netbooks too. Netbooks don't need all of the bloat thats in Windows 7.
IMO; ReactOS would be a great replacement for WinXP that is currently used in many netbooks and other small computers. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
unofficialforum

Post by unofficialforum »

netbooks i can understand, but what the hell are people buying pocket calculators for? they better put a phone or something in those things before people start wedging them under tables to keep them steady.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

unofficialforum wrote:netbooks i can understand, but what the hell are people buying pocket calculators for? they better put a phone or something in those things before people start wedging them under tables to keep them steady.
I read that not many watches are being sold since one can get the time from ones phone. I think that also applies to calculators. Why buy one when one can use ones smart phone? :?: Perhaps there are those who have phone and not a smart phone that does all those things? :?:

Perhaps one day there will be a ReactOS Mobile? :idea:
:geek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

There's something called exams where the professors frown upon using any communication devices. Something about potentially cheating.
zefklop
Developer

Post by zefklop »

Maybe because a decent calculator costs between 80 and 200€. Can't say so for a laptop, without taking the cost of a Maple/mathematica/Matlab/put_some_nice_math_software_there into account.

Or why you buy your bread instead of hiring a baker : COST!
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

Since 0.3.11 is now out, I will give it a try on my netbook; Asus EEE 701a. :geek: I am having trouble downloading it. I keep getting a memory error message. :( I will try another computer and/or another connection. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Change the Mirror from Sourceforge
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

I will go to SourceForge and change the mirror and try it again. I have been trying from the download section of the ReactOS site. I tried different ones but had the same result. :( Thank you for the recomendation. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

I went to the ReactOS - http://sourceforge.net/projects/reactos/ - part of SourceForge - http://www.sourceforge.net - but had the same problem trying to download the latest version of ReactOS. I will try another computer to see if this is the problem. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

I downloaded in a bit just without issues.