Netbooks, Netbooks, Netbooks...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

coldReactive

Netbooks, Netbooks, Netbooks...

Post by coldReactive » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:04 pm

I'm just wondering, why are netbooks starting to steal the spotlight? They are NOT a replacement to laptops, and never will be in my eyes. Netbooks are just dummed down laptops if you ask me, lower specs cheaper parts.

I thought the future was all about advancing, not... devancing!

=============================
Some replies to what people might say:
Netbooks aren't meant for word processing.
I can spend $500 to get an excellent desktop to do rendering, gaming, and more!
Not when desktops I require are over 1000 USD. (I need 3.0 GHz or more processing power, two cores or better.)
But now, people are even wanting the netbooks, at their low price, to have increased specs, such as more RAM and more disk space.
Exactly, netbooks should never have been made if they didn't want people doing this.
I can't build computers worth a damn, so I have no choice but to be ripped off.
It's pretty straightforward, dude.
Believe me, I've tried, in an A+ class. I often misplaced parts, or caused parts to fry, or I didn't put the right parts in place, or I didn't hook up the power button right to the mobo, or I didn't hook up the front panel ports right to the mobo. After about 5+ times doing it over, I got it right -_-

So not as straightforward, FOR ME.
I don't see a problem with this as long as they stay true to their purpose (lightweight and mobile). It won't hurt to try to max out the specs as long as the size doesn't change. I think they'd make a good laptop replacement as long as you have a desktop at home.
I have to rely on wireless hotspots that are free.
My local Fry's offers to put your parts together for around $80. It's still probably cheaper to pay them to do that than to buy a desktop of comparable specs.
We don't have fry's electronics. We have Milwaukee PC and Geek Squad, that's it. Milwaukee PC people are rip offs, so is Geek Squad.

hto
Developer

Post by hto » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:29 pm

It was advancing too fast…

gonzoMD

Re: Netbooks, Netbooks, Netbooks...

Post by gonzoMD » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:38 pm

I think netbooks are so famous, because everyone can buy them without getting poor, they are cheap.
at the past, the people who had a laptop were called rich, so now everyone can buy trash, that looks like a laptop. So it looks like they're rich.
I hate netbooks.
If you want a laptop you just have to look when you get a good price.
if you want a netbook, you have to pay, well, 250€ i think. I got a brand new compaq presario cq60 210eg laptop for just 377€ because a shop reopened.
A real laptop for not realy more money.
hold your eyes open but don't buy trash.

coldReactive

Re:

Post by coldReactive » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:40 pm

hto wrote:
It was advancing too fast…
I hope that was a joke. Else, I'd ask, "How exactly?"

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:27 pm

coldReactive wrote:I'm just wondering, why are netbooks starting to steal the spotlight?
Because laptops are "too heavy to carry around" (not my words) and PDAs are too different to run the same software.

anthrax11

Post by anthrax11 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:19 am

I looked around and got my EeePc 701 for 130€.

For that I can run a lot of 3D games playably, write down stuff at school,
write code, watch videos, boot from USB and network and boot XP in 30 seconds.
I get 3xUSB, WiFi, internal speakers, microphone, SD card slot, SSD hard drive (seek time 0.5ms).
I can fit WinXP SP3, OpenOffice, a couple of larger games (TMNations, Quake3Arena),
MinGW, MSYS and a few other programs on the 4GB drive and still have a gigabyte to spare.
It weighs at least 2x less than most laptops.

Well, too bad if that doesn't satisfy you, but I'm sure happy.
If there's anything more computationally intensive that I can't do with it, then it's probably
not anything I really need to do outside anyway. I can do those things at home on the PC.

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:13 am

anthrax11 wrote:Well, too bad if that doesn't satisfy you, but I'm sure happy.
If there's anything more computationally intensive that I can't do with it, then it's probably
not anything I really need to do outside anyway. I can do those things at home on the PC.
Yes, it doesn't satisfy me one bit. I want to be able to emulate PS2 games (SMOOTHLY) and take them around with me; for that, I need a DVD-ROM Drive, 3.0 GHz Processor Dual Core or better, nVIDIA 9 series or better, and at least 4 GB of RAM (Because the PS2 emulator requires at least 1.5 GB of RAM alone.)

The only computer I am considering at this point is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883103196

That said, it is not a laptop, as laptops don't come in 3.0 GHz two cores or better ( best I've seen is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834220544 )

tomleem

Post by tomleem » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:18 am

Netbooks are a niche market. I have two of them. They are low cost portable mini laptop computers. I can surf the internet with them. I can use them for simple tasks. It does not replace my two notebook computers. My notebook computers are for every day jobs. While my notebooks are great, they are too big for what I want. The netbooks are easy to carry with me to places and to carry and are affordable; some more so than others. 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

tomleem

Post by tomleem » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:19 am

I also think ReactOS is an ideal operating system for netbooks. Since ReactOS requires so few resources, I think it would work great on a netbook which have so few resources. 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:47 am

Also, people should realize that 3 GHz processors have been around for a while now (since 2003)

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:19 pm

coldReactive wrote:Yes, it doesn't satisfy me one bit. I want to be able to emulate PS2 games (SMOOTHLY)
Whereas I don't. I just want to browse the Interwebs and edit some text on the move. Therefore, the lack of power is acceptable to me because the trade off is a longer battery life.

What you want is a gaming laptop or a good ol' fashioned tower.
What I want is a netbook.
Different strokes for different folks.

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:07 pm

GoBusto wrote:What you want is a gaming laptop or a good ol' fashioned tower.
What I want is a netbook.
Different strokes for different folks.
Hardly any towers I see nowadays have 3.0 GHz or better. (If they do, they usually have Intel or ATI Graphics, which is no good.)

Here's another: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883241011

Problem is, I still need to save up two to three months worth. (Though the other computers I mentioned would take up half a year to a year to save for.)

The123king

Post by The123king » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:06 pm

anthrax11 wrote:I looked around and got my EeePc 701 for 130€.

For that I can run a lot of 3D games playably, write down stuff at school,
write code, watch videos, boot from USB and network and boot XP in 30 seconds.
I get 3xUSB, WiFi, internal speakers, microphone, SD card slot, SSD hard drive (seek time 0.5ms).
I can fit WinXP SP3, OpenOffice, a couple of larger games (TMNations, Quake3Arena),
MinGW, MSYS and a few other programs on the 4GB drive and still have a gigabyte to spare.
It weighs at least 2x less than most laptops.

Well, too bad if that doesn't satisfy you, but I'm sure happy.
This, but i paid £140 for my EeePC 701.

tomleem

Post by tomleem » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:31 am

Prices have come down for some netbooks. I paid $400 for an Asus EEE PC 701a. I try different operating systems on it. I also have a refurbished Acer Aspire One for $199. It has WinXP on it. :D It does every thing I want it to do.
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:38 pm

Cool. Who volounteers for coding USB Storage Stack?