Element Software partnership?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Haos
Test Team

Re: Element Software partnership?

Post by Haos »

Finally, the truth has been revealed. There was no "Element" OS, no patches for us, nothing upstream, just pure PR, as BugBoy duly noted.

Now, can we move on?

patternjake

Post by patternjake »

Haos : Wow some credible source must have leaked that info.

Seriously, come off it. Why would I go to all the trouble of discussing a project like this one on a very well established community. I have alot more sense than that. The simple answer, the project got way too big for us to handle. We are still planning on improving the ReactOS experience, and that is a fact, it just wont come in the shape and form of what we origanlly intended for it.

Patches will not be needed since we are not patching for an operating system now; many of the things we changed were shell dialogs, resources and some very small GDI changes that would better reflect and match ElementOS , but obviously that has been dropped since we dont intend to work on an operating system now.

Admin : You are free to close this topic if you wish.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Err... this sounds more like a: OMG, they are starting to get a bit picky. What now??! Ignore or cancel?

Right or not?!

I vote for ignore. Show them something as soon as its done and lets them believe what they want till then.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

To all members of this discussion, keep it civil. It's starting to move into personal attacks.

panda84

Post by panda84 »

We feel that this is nessecary since licensing constraints in ReactOS will not allow us to distrubute ElementOS FIle Digger and related components, which, are closed source, on the open source ReactOS operating system.
This is too vague to pretend someone believes you. These issues get ironed out before starting to write new software in real companies. Real companies really don't like throwing away lots of man-hours work because of licenses that were clear and public long time before the new software itself.

Also, you promised a video... you don't need to release the software to get out a video.
We instead are going to focus our efforts on the Element Desktop software, which will deliver a full desktop envoirement and additionaly compositioning effects \ layers for both ReactOS, Windows and Linux. Additionaly we will focus our efforts on Mac in time.
Can I ask you what it has more than Plasma?
It works on Linux and BSDs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQHG_30PeX4&hl=it
and somehow works on Windows (so one can think of fixing on ReactOS too):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-hh6LLGQ_8
and with some effort on Mac too.
Not to mention S60:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ni_6qTwj-Y
and Maemo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1qxdYAUBbk
http://www.kdenews.org/2009/10/12/free-n900
Its code, from Qt through kdelibs to plasma itself is LGPL, so you can even write proprietary stuff over it. What about building your software upon it?

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

patternjake wrote:Element Software have decided to drop the ElementOS operating system project
WOW, I didn't see that coming..... :roll:
Maybe now people will take more notice when I tell them something is bulls**t

Nice PR stunt btw

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Hmph.
Last edited by Lone_Rifle on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patternjake

Post by patternjake »

Ged : And you call yourself a developer with that attitude?

To be perfectly honest, IM GLAD we decided to ditch using ReactOS, since it is obviously led by arrogant people like yourself.

Heck this will be the last time I even do any dealings with ReactOS, and I will not even recommend it to anyone either. Heres my final opinion on ReactOS:

-It will never compete with Windows
-Linux is marginely better than ReactOS
-It will never be able to run WPF applications, so whats the point?
-Pssh Windows 7 is here, and Id choose Microsofts buggy OS over this one anyday, wheres the eye catching features etc
-Im all for the open source community, and making a clearer choice, and making things better for the world, especially an Open Source NT architecture, but when INNOCENT people like myself are bitched about and wrongfully made assumptions on (e.g teenager in his bedroom reference), the project loses clarity.

And finally, I did not use this forum for PR, people asked me questions regarding other products that would have been included in ElementOS, and I gave them an answer. This is general discussion right? OPEN SOURCE, ha, weres the freedom if your forum isnt even OPEN.

With a relief, this is the last time i will be responding to any immature comments made to my responses, and I will not be looking at ReactOS again.

Well done, you just lost yourself a large group of people who actually respected this project. Congrats.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

patternjake wrote:Ged : And you call yourself a developer with that attitude?
Considering that he knows more about wininternals than you do, and works for a company that pays him well, why yes, I think he's a developer, and in my opinion, more of a developer than you ever will be.

In addition, he's entitled to his own views, and your insistence on rebutting them only serves to further indicate your lack of maturity.
patternjake wrote: This is general discussion right? OPEN SOURCE, ha, weres the freedom if your forum isnt even OPEN.
Says the person who refuses to release his pre-release source code despite this being standard practice.

Oh, and by the way, I will be judging you on your response.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

To be perfectly honest, IM GLAD we decided to ditch using ReactOS, since it is obviously led by arrogant people like yourself.

Heck this will be the last time I even do any dealings with ReactOS, and I will not even recommend it to anyone either. Heres my final opinion on ReactOS:

-Pssh Windows 7 is here, and Id choose Microsofts buggy OS over this one anyday, wheres the eye catching features etc
-Im all for the open source community, and making a clearer choice, and making things better for the world, especially an Open Source NT architecture, but when INNOCENT people like myself are bitched about and wrongfully made assumptions on (e.g teenager in his bedroom reference), the project loses clarity.

And finally, I did not use this forum for PR, people asked me questions regarding other products that would have been included in ElementOS, and I gave them an answer. This is general discussion right? OPEN SOURCE, ha, weres the freedom if your forum isnt even OPEN.

With a relief, this is the last time i will be responding to any immature comments made to my responses, and I will not be looking at ReactOS again.

Well done, you just lost yourself a large group of people who actually respected this project. Congrats.
I think you have choosen the incorrect way with this post. This is an obvious attack. I have been neutral and asking until you release, asking people to give you a chance. Of course i´m not going to tolerate this kind of revenge answer. So please, if anyone can delete or block this post will make me a favour.Thanks.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

I'm just annoyed that you tricked the reactos users for so long.
Even though I didn't, many of the people on this forum actually believed and had faith in you. It's unfair that we should allow people to come to this forum and get people excited only for them to be let down.
patternjake wrote: To be perfectly honest, IM GLAD we decided to ditch using ReactOS, since it is obviously led by arrogant people like yourself.
Let's be honest, you had no intention of ever working with reactos in the first place. I don't recall one piece of evidence to back it up.
There were some screenshots you tried to pass off as reactos which had a linux kernel signature on and were clearly gnome.
There were also some others IIRC, which showed images of a desktop I know our GDI isn't capable of drawing yet.
patternjake wrote: Heres my final opinion on ReactOS:
If you believed all that, why did you even get involved in the first place? Does that mean you're judgement is bad?
Sounds like a false attack from a bitter man.

patternjake wrote: Well done, you just lost yourself a large group of people who actually respected this project. Congrats.
Sorry, I still don't believe you.

Checking your history out from the very start set off alarm bells.
Banned from deviantart ... claiming to have an IE8 beta 1 ... claiming to have a patch which gave vista functionality (inc. directx 10) for win XP???
If you do ever decide to set up a company, I suggest you use a different nick from patternjake, that name holds too much history to offer credability.

I hope you don't hold a grudge, and I wish you luck in your future projects.

panda84

Post by panda84 »

This one deserves the "Thread full of nothing - 2009" award! :lol:

Just out of curiosity (that's a poll, nothing more): is there still someone who believes that pattenjake wrote the softwares he talked about? Not a single line of code has been released, except a raw copy (I actually mean a 1:1 copy) of Mozilla 1.7 source code, and unbelievable features have been advertised (with no tecnical details revealed, just really vague descriptions): do you still believe him?

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Ged wrote: It's unfair that we should allow people to come to this forum and get people excited only for them to be let down.
We've been doing that all the time with ReactOS, Ged. Mainly because people are too stupid to come here without any expectations.

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Yes, Lone_Rifle

PetruDimitriu

Post by PetruDimitriu »

Now do you see I was right when I said they dropped the project because of us? That would've been a real opportunity for ReactOS to develop and become famous. Now look what you have done... I'm really disappointed of you all. But if that's what you want, that's what you get.

1. patternjake was very kind of informing us that he was using ReactOS when it wasn't mandatory
2. he had a whole team to work on finding and fixing problems in ReactOS that he could have corrected in the original OS later
3. he and his team suffered all your critics without saying a thing, nicely responding to your insults
4. now he couldn't take it any more and dropped the project
5. it's your fault... and I'm not saying that to insult you, but to make you look inside and wonder if you really didn't do any mistakes while chatting on this thread.

That's a problem with today's programmers, their mind is pretty linear, they don't think so much of those around them; chatting on a forum is easy because computers don't transmit any emotions; if they did, it would have been a whole other world... I have a clear idea that discussions on this thread on this forum led to the death of the embryo of ElementOS.

This world is so sad...