Element Software partnership?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

patternjake

Re: Element Software partnership?

Post by patternjake »

Pisarz: Those are false positives. Element Browser was scanned with MSE beta, AVG and Kaspersky. I have yet to talk to Avira in why the font installer (it only installs the segoue ui font), and ElementTalkLaunch simply launches Element Talk if it is installed on your computer, is marked as a backdoor. It is mostly due to the fact that most of my software is protected by exectuable compression to both make the download size smaller and reduce the risk of program reverse engineer.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

To be fair, you've been posting on a forum which has very little to do with reactos development, it's a community forum. You made little attempt to contact any devs, no emails, no IRC contact, etc. You posted pictures claiming to be screenshots of reactos which when carefully examined had a little 'linux kernel 2.6.*' label on the about dialog. You then made some rather strange and uninformed claims about development which I would expect any competent developer to know. You then finished off by saying that you are no longer working on them

I also wonder why a closed source software company is writing a win32 shell and browser. Firefox and opera are the two best browsers available and both are free. Windows have their own shell and reactos will be supplying a new shell which very closely follows the internal architecture of the Windows shell, i.e. it relies heavily on standard built-in COM libraries which make up 80% of the windows shell. (shell32, browseui, shlwapi, etc)

Where do you expect to make money from this?. In fact, where is your current revenue stream coming from and if you are the owner why are you chasing this? It can't be paying the bills. Only very rich and successful companies run research projects and even then they do so in the hope that something will come out of it at the end. I'm not entierly sure what you hope to achieve

I don't mean to be rude, and I sincerly do wish you all the best. I'm just providing an opinion on why people are sceptical about this thread. It comes across as a young guy sat at home when he has no classes at school, writing some software in the hope of selling it. Such business plans usually fail unless the product is unique and well marketed, neither of which seem to be the case.

panda84

Post by panda84 »

Hey patternjake, I was just wondering if you realize all of your screenshots on the element page link to something along the lines of http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net instead of a larger picture.
can you tell my, why my Avira AntiVir detected infected files when I was trying to install your program? I have some screenshots.
:(

patternjake

Post by patternjake »

Ged: If you actually would have read some of my previous comments, you would have seen that we were experimenting with a build of ubuntu, too see which would be more useful to use as an OS base, ubuntu or ReactOS. We chose ReactOS because we found it a better platform to build upon. The screenshots were indeed very old and did not reflect the current development status of ElementOS.

ElementOS development is not over. It is merely paused while the antivirus packages are bieng worked on. (Which in answer to your previous comment, is the main source of revenue, including website advertisements).

Kestrel will be out for the public for definate in Element Browser 2.5 once it reaches beta. It will be included as a alternative webpage viewing mode. Development for that project is PAUSED, not stopped.

Yes I am working from home on some of the projects.
School I finished four years ago. I am now starting my degree next month. I do infact know what I am talking about here, and I am making sales of Element TotalProtect. Slowly, but surely.

I have not been in further contact with the ReactOS developer channels of yet because since there is no public build of ElementOS released yet, or any source code up on the website, There is no need for formal contact.

Unique software?
Please, ReactOS is essentially a clone of Windows, so please do not bring up uniqueness here. I now do not mean to be rude, but ElementOS seems to be more unique than ReactOS does of Windows.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

patternjake wrote: Unique software?
Please, ReactOS is essentially a clone of Windows, so please do not bring up uniqueness here. I now do not mean to be rude, but ElementOS seems to be more unique than ReactOS does of Windows.
Of course it's unique, we are the only free, open source implementation of an NT operating system in the world.
If you can point me at another please do and I'll retract my comment.

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

I'd like to sum-up my thoughts with these trhee idioms:

- Actions speak louder than words.
- None so blind as those who will not see.
- A word to the wise is sufficient.

Let's move on please.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

haha, forums need a 'like' button for posts.
Aagghh, I have facebookitis....

patternjake

Post by patternjake »

Ha. I never use facebook, and I dont see the point of using it either.

patternjake

Post by patternjake »

gabrielilardi: Well said. Lets move on please.

We are supposed to be talking about software here, lets leave the rest of this convo for the facebook fans. Thanks.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Pisarz: could you please send that file to http://www.virustotal.com and post the scan report log afterwards?

panda84

Post by panda84 »

Sent.
All false positives of course.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Ged, much as you are free to have your opinion and share it, I question the need to exercise this freedom. If patternjake wishes to take the ROS kernel and build a non-compliant shell and yet another browser on top of it, and do so without bothering to personally get in touch with the devs, so long as he complies with the GPL and publishes his changes, why would you care?

patternjake, your snide remark is noted and my opinion of you adjusted accordingly.

patternjake

Post by patternjake »

Lone_Rifle: Sorry. Its been a bit of a hectic day.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Lone_Rifle, dito.
Don't tread on my toes and I won't tread on yours.