Element Software partnership?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

coldReactive

Re: Element Software partnership?

Post by coldReactive »

Element Browser uses Ribbon much similar to Office 2007. This UI is not GPL.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Umm, you can't GPL a "UI."
jorl17

Post by jorl17 »

Z98 wrote:Umm, you can't GPL a "UI."
But beware! You can patent a red close-window button!! :)
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Z98 wrote:Umm, you can't GPL a "UI."
But apparently, you can License one.
jorl17

Post by jorl17 »

I don't know if anyone has noticed it, but -- pardon me if I sound rude or, simply, an idiot -- your webbrowser linux build is completely dull.

You claim it is meant for ubuntu-like distros (usually .deb format) and bundle it with a tar.gz format. Not enough, it isn't in the tar.gz format. You forced me to grab a hex editor to spook it and realize it is in a rar format.

Adding to that, it definitly is NOT meant only for ubuntu, it can run on any distro with wine, AFAIk. Maybe even FreeBSD, darwine or whatever else anyone might consider.

Your readme is extremely fascinating:
Element Browser Basic
---------------------

NOTE: THIS RELEASE IS NOT SUPPORTED BY ELEMENT SOFTWARE.

Also used for embedded systems such as linux.

Element Browser basic is a build of a early alpha of Element Browser Series 2, which has been converted from the .NET framework language to native Win32 code. This means that features found in the full retail versions of are either missing in this release or do not work as expected. Due to the nature of Win32 code, .NET is radically different which means that Element Browser Basic for linux may not be fully functional, if that.

Dependencies required-

-Wine 1.0 or later
-Ubuntu or debian based linux distrubution.
-Trident
Why an ubuntu or debian based linux distro? And Trident seems logical, I've been there too, Wine breaks the whole trident scene.

And why did you turn a rar into a .deb and into a .tar.gz?

One more thing, you are not informing the users, on your website, that you do not support your own Linux build (although you note that it is a BETA, which is not Alpha, like you state in the readme). Anyway, I appreciate that you do at least something, as bad as it may be. (others don't do anything)

Thank you for your work in ReactOS and whatever else you are doing. I am only trying to avoid a 'mess'. Keep up the good work. When will there be a build available?
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

jorl17 wrote:Adding to that, it definitly is NOT meant only for ubuntu, it can run on any distro with wine, AFAIk.
Perhaps not even the limited support can be given to other distros / UNIX flavours.
lollebol

Post by lollebol »

patternjake wrote:If you give us 10-20 bussiness days we will come up with a experimental build of this GUI / shell and AniCore framework which runs on the current version of ReactOS. This source will be closed of course, until a possible agreement is settled. We will of course post screenshots of it here and a build for you to work with.
Any luck on the further development since the quote, patternjake? i'm a little bit curious how this project is going :roll:
patternjake

Post by patternjake »

Sorry for the long wait between an update. ElementOS is progressing well, we have been focusing more on the File Digger shell more than anything else. The highest video mode avaliable now is 1024x768x16, which is great as it allows for full graphical features. (animations etc). Testing this in VirtualPC animations are a little chuggy but still pretty fast.

Heres a screenshot of the desktop with Element Browser running :

[ external image ]

Another screenshot showing the logon screen (this is the finalized logon which will appear in the public beta)

[ external image ]

Finally, this is the finalized (beta) boot screen.

[ external image ]
lollebol

Post by lollebol »

Although I'm not a bit fan of the linux-like taskbar at the top, It looks great so far. (maybe more like win7's superbar will make it perfect :P )
Also I see you spend a lot of time to the eye-candy GUI, which is a good thing, if it doesn't slow down the computer.

Have you tested it on real hardware yet?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

How did you realize the window theming? Via our uxtheme.dll? Looks promising
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

EmuandCo wrote:How did you realize the window theming? Via our uxtheme.dll? Looks promising
More promising is the Login :)ReactOS doesnt support Login yet :). Is it just a mockup?or did you manage to create a Login?Or is it running in Windows?
The123king

Post by The123king »

vicmarcal wrote:
EmuandCo wrote:How did you realize the window theming? Via our uxtheme.dll? Looks promising
More promising is the Login :)ReactOS doesnt support Login yet :). Is it just a mockup?or did you manage to create a Login?Or is it running in Windows?
Hmm... It could just be a shell addon (ie shell doesn't "activate" without login)

And as themeing goes, i think that's not done by uxtheme, but the application (like how Spotify and Office 2007 theme themselves)
patternjake

Post by patternjake »

Uxtheme isnt used here, its completely done by the application itself. Not much of a performance hit either, also works on real hardware flawlessly.

Because the Shell in ElementOS is a completely from scratch, the logon interfaces and desktops are done completely differently as to how they are currently (well limited at the moment) operated in ReactOS. To be honest, you could essentially call the shell a new OS itself, because once its loaded up there are no limits to what ReactOS can do now (DirectX bits aside though, managed to get a measly 2fps on software..I wont discuss this right now as its pretty late)

Nope, this is not a mockup, 100% true application there. I would BADLY love to send a build over but until things are finalized over here its still going to be a bit of a wait.

The Onmibar can be moved to the bottom of the screen by choice.

Theres alot of great things in for store for you all yet, this is just the tip of the iceburg ;)
patternjake

Post by patternjake »

jorl17:

Ill try to avoid sending you a build with that attitude. :cry:

You dont seem to notice that Element Software is BESPOKE and has only a team of less than 10 programmers at work behind the scenes, and theres a hell of alot to manage at the house. Keeping developments up with all of our projects (let alone an OS!) is very amountful and sometimes tedious to keep up with.

And issuing people support (even limited) on a beta thats only half cooked is probably something close to gracious. Hell the readme didnt have to be cooked up but it did. Rome was not built in a day.
patternjake

Post by patternjake »

Note to all:

As i said earlier, theming is done by file digger and the applications that come with ElementOS, including utilites such as Computer Preferences etc. Built in, low level dialogs such as in shell32 ARE NOT themed. We didnt extend our time to going that far. The majority of the time when the user is using ElementOS will never even come across one of these dialogs as the functionality is provided by File Digger, not the shell32 which explorer.exe embeds. (Like i said, its from scratch). Additionaly, alot of the old dialogs that will not come up we have removed in our shell32 / and or deprecated, which means the output for the dialog is redirected to a dialog in File Digger. (Basic english- heres the message, instead of showing shell32, show File digger dialog).

Ah and also

All of the CPLs have been ripped out because it has been replaced with a unified computer preferences application (rather like in Mac OS), which still changes low level ReactOS settings. Additionaly applications such as the calc.exe etc have been removed and replaced with up to date ones which are skinned by File Digger, so the whole OS is unified across.

If you wish to think of this in more basic terms, ReactOS and the kernel is more of a bootstrapping process, in which all low level stuff is done by ReactOS and the high level stuff is done by the shell (file digger) and other components we have developed.