Element Software partnership?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

coldReactive

Re: Element Software partnership?

Post by coldReactive »

zydon: ReactOS isn't similar to ElementOS according to the screenshots. Not to mention, the File Digger license is proprietary, which is NOT GPL, which means it won't be included in ROS. I don't want ROS to become proprietary, and neither do you I'm sure.

I have to agree with ged. If you ask me, he's just trying to mooch.
zydon

Post by zydon »

coldReactive, yeah I know, I also don't want anything from ElementOS GUI components and it's license become part of ReactOS. I just hope to see the technology transfered between 2 groups of developers that helps both in their development and maintain their own concept. I'm sure those ideas and expertises could be adapted into ReactOS core and eliminates many of bugs and limitations.

If ReactOS developers have learned from Wine, I'm sure they can learn from ElementOS too some of the tricks for successful implementations.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

We "learn" from Wine because their code is open source. We still have no idea what exactly this guy is proposing, as we have not had any direct interaction with him. And this project will not grant any kind of license allowing a third party to distribute closed source copies of ROS derivatives. That pretty much goes against the entire reason this project was started.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

zydon wrote:I think patternjake's offers was an attractive win-win situation. It doesn't make ReactOS less popular. Instead, ElementOS which is driven by possible licensed (via partnership term?) ReactOS core which would be made to attract the new entry users or migrate from Linux and Mac OS, while ReactOS is the next advance stage of migration from ElementOS for a full Windows compatibility.

Unless, the offer is to make ElementOS becoming the official distribution for reactOS, I wouldn't even bother to look into ReactOS anymore. ReactOS definitely remain as the power users choice of OS. ElementOS or other distribution similar to it probably installed into my secondary PC or Netbook for the jobs need to be done without thinking about the underlying OS.

The graphics development expertise from Element Software might benefit ReactOS to cure Windows GDI resources leaking problems or even open the door to raster graphics engine solutions such as ReactX project and OpenGL improvement. So, it will return to the main issue, how the OS core would be able provide the stability if the OS developer doesn't know the architecture of the graphics power house that demanding the service from the OS kernels? The current basic/classic GUI layer in ReactOS distribution is desperately need help to cure all of those glitches...
No.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Guys, would you PLEASE stop to tell fairy tales? You all have NO idea what these guys are up to, so WAIT and complain as soon as you have a reason for it. Right now there's no illegal behavior because he did not release any binaries yet and he can do with ROS's Code whatever he wants at home.

Secondary: I second that ROS wont give away licenses to use the code for Closed Source Development. As any open source project we, of course, demand that all modifications to our code are made open. Anything else would be a reason to leave the project! And NO, he IS allowed to keep his GUI Code closed, because its his code.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Sof_T

Post by Sof_T »

Guys, would you PLEASE stop to tell fairy tales? You all have NO idea what these guys are up to, so WAIT and complain as soon as you have a reason for it. Right now there's no illegal behavior because he did not release any binaries yet and he can do with ROS's Code whatever he wants at home.

Secondary: I second that ROS wont give away licenses to use the code for Closed Source Development. As any open source project we, of course, demand that all modifications to our code are made open. Anything else would be a reason to leave the project! And NO, he IS allowed to keep his GUI Code closed, because its his code.
A voice of reason. As long once they release this all enhancements are passed back to ReactOS you can only win. If those enhancements don't match your way of working you can choose not to use them in ReactOS, but at least you have a choice. If ElementOS suceeds and says they are using ReactOS as the core it can only be good advertising for this project.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

There is a statement that we cant forget:

"One man is Innocent until proved guilty"

There are a lot of Shells out there which are closed and which are being used by people daily.Some arent free.

They are creating a Shell, and patching ReactOS to support their Shell.
The patches must be released open, so ReactOS team can use the code(if the patches are right).This is a GPL statement. But as i have red they plan to do this.
The Shell can be released closed and also non-free if they aren´t using ReactOS code(And i doubt they are using ReactOS code in the same way current alternative XP Shells doesnt use Windows XP code)

The way of making the Shell compatible with ReactOS but not with Windows is pretty easy, just checking if C:\ReactOS\System32 exists.I doubt this Path exists in Windows.If it doesnt exist,then the Installation aborts.As this example proves,the Shell doesnt need to break Windows laws.

And yes, i dont know any offer or agreement between Element Software and ReactOS, maybe they are waiting until having something to offer.

As i said, i will wait until they release,and then i will congratule them or I will blame them. Now they havent done anything so i will wait their release to decide my position.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

vicmarcal wrote: The way of making the Shell compatible with ReactOS but not with Windows is pretty easy, just checking if C:\ReactOS\System32 exists.I doubt this Path exists in Windows.If it doesnt exist,then the Installation aborts.As this example proves,the Shell doesnt need to break Windows laws.
I hereby ban you from writing any code for a week and sentence you to 10 hours of researching bad coding practices or 2 hours of being lectured by kjk_hyperion.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Ged wrote:I hereby ban you from writing any code for a week and sentence you to 10 hours of researching bad coding practices or 2 hours of being lectured by kjk_hyperion.
I have seen indeed worst code :). Some apps doesnt run in ReactOS since they are seaching "C:\Windows\System32" instead using the %PATH% Environment Variable.Im sure your eyes have seen code like this one.
It was a stupid example that shows in an easy/understandable way how to unable an App from being installed in Windows but in ReactOS without being incompatible.
The123king

Post by The123king »

vicmarcal wrote:
Ged wrote:I hereby ban you from writing any code for a week and sentence you to 10 hours of researching bad coding practices or 2 hours of being lectured by kjk_hyperion.
I have seen indeed worst code :). Some apps doesnt run in ReactOS since they are seaching "C:\Windows\System32" instead using the %PATH% Environment Variable.Im sure your eyes have seen code like this one.
It was a stupid example that shows in an easy/understandable way how to unable an App from being installed in Windows but in ReactOS without being incompatible.
Or... You could always ckeck with the kernel to see if you're running anything other than ReactOS/ElementOS...
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

The only supported way at present is to call GetVersionEx and check the szCSDVersion member for "ReactOS ..."
However this is a bit of a hack and will be replaced with a compatability flag in the future.
patternjake

Post by patternjake »

Please check this site for the latest information on ElementOS developments. (The site will change in relation to development of the beta)

Additionaly all source code of our variation of ReactOS will be posted here. (Source code of file digger and related components of ElementOS are CLOSED SOURCE.)

http://www.elementos.co.nr
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

patternjake wrote:Please check this site for the latest information on ElementOS developments. (The site will change in relation to development of the beta)

Additionaly all source code of our variation of ReactOS will be posted here. (Source code of file digger and related components of ElementOS are CLOSED SOURCE.)

http://www.elementos.co.nr
Too bad there's nothing to download.
patternjake

Post by patternjake »

coldReactive: Please be patient. The site has only just been added and bandwith limitations / cost will affect the public release of this beta. Last time we tried to upload an earlier beta the entire Element Software site went down due to people excessively downloading (however that was a 2.7gib image, the iso is now 300MB).

Please do not expect the download to be up this week, this month or even the next, the OS is still in major development, and we have to upload our modified ReactOS parts to the source code directories before we can even release any binaries of ElementOS itself.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

True, as long as modified GPL code is used internally, license doesn't require modifications to be shared...