Element Software partnership?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Haos
Test Team

Re: Element Software partnership?

Post by Haos » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:17 am

There is obviously some creepy code there, that is alerting av heuristics.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:58 am

Not necessarily, e.g. Upack is blacklisted just because it's good and malware creators use it, not because of creepy code.

patternjake

Post by patternjake » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:46 pm

Because the programs are compressed by UPX, some avs (not all) are alerted that it may be potentiall harmful. This is not the case. UPX is a program used to compress an exectuable further to both reduce the image size and without further decompression times nessecary.

I hate it when malware creators use UPX, it spoils it for everyone. Plus, it harms the creators of UPX since they have to update thier program so antivirus software do not flag it. Many genuine software creators use UPX to both protect code and reduce download sizes, and this affects them in the long run.

Pisarz

Post by Pisarz » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:50 pm

But... I'dont have any problems with UPX. Sometimes I need to compress my app, because .exe file it's too big. AntiVirus have never detected my file as Infected.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:39 pm

No patternjake... most AV properly detect UPX compression. Its a matter of detected APIs used, or their combination. We have for example issue with kernel32-test, being discovered as a false positive, despite not being compressed.

patternjake

Post by patternjake » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:39 pm

The issue will be resolved in element browser 2.0.11. We will remove the Segoe UI Font installer from the application. Just very odd how some AVS flag it as malware.

It maybe due to the nature that the font installer is a silent installer. Hmm.

patternjake

Post by patternjake » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:54 pm

Update on ElementOS and Kestrel:

We have silently been working very hard on kestrel layout issues, and have moved way past 0.0.0.3 (alpha), and are now onto 0.0.0.4 candidates. Latest test results show brillaint improvements to website compatiblity, especially online blogs. Kestrel will be released for public use once it hits 0.0.1, so not long to go now!

ElementOS - Development is back on. Although the beta was origanlly frozen, serious work has begun again fixing the issues that are delaying the release. We are working very aggressively on the project, and are really trying to get this out the door.

Now that Element TotalProtect 2010 RTW has been finalized, the webpages will be up, and all our focus can be on maintaining updates to ETP, working on ElementOS and updating kestrel. We have also come up with a whitepaper for Element Browser 3.0, which is viewable at http://bit.ly/4eClk8

Things are finally looking up again! Thanks for everyones support and belief in the projects. Thank you :)

DangerGround
Website Coordinator

Post by DangerGround » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:36 pm

I don't like that you use our forum for your PR stuff. I prefer to read stuff about ros on those forums, even if this post is now in Off-Topic.
Just my personal opinion.

lollebol

Post by lollebol » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:08 am

DangerGround wrote:I don't like that you use our forum for your PR stuff. I prefer to read stuff about ros on those forums, even if this post is now in Off-Topic.
Well in my opinion, I like it that he gives updates about his OS here. He's using the base of ReactOS and shows what he and his team can do with it (complete different GUI, running office 2007, etc). Too bad most stuff are closed source but I hope that they can help out a bit by contributing some code or something :mrgreen:

But who am I to say that :roll:

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:06 am

lollebol:
I think dangerground is talking about all the apps not related with ReactOS.Since patternjake said ElementOS development is frozen this thread has become OFF topic,and now thw thread is talking about an Antivirus,a Browser and other closed-non-free apps which could be understood as a PR,which can finish in advertisement and finally could finish in simple Spam.
Since ElementOS development is frozen,and since the partnership is related just to ElementOS,maybe this thread should be "frozen" until the development begins again.
Next time the best way to begin a partnership is contacting with Fireball/Aleksey Bragin.
;)

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:42 am

Well. Read his last post completely. The Development is active again.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

patternjake

Post by patternjake » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:56 am

For the record, Many of the apps that we have created for Windows are also some integral parts of ElementOS.

patternjake

Post by patternjake » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:57 am

Please read my last reply:

ElementOS - Development is back on. Although the beta was origanlly frozen, serious work has begun again fixing the issues that are delaying the release. We are working very aggressively on the project, and are really trying to get this out the door.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:04 am

DangerGround wrote:I don't like that you use our forum for your PR stuff. I prefer to read stuff about ros on those forums, even if this post is now in Off-Topic.
Seconded.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:00 pm

Its in Off Topic and this is where it belongs to and is allowed to stay in. Its about ROS around some edges, what more do you want?

I'LL ALLOW IT!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.