Element Software partnership?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Element Software partnership?

Post by vicmarcal »

Looking forward for this idea :)

jorl17

Post by jorl17 »

EDIT: What the? What I had written was overwriten by a quote.

Well, I was saying that I never meant to offend you, I am sorry if I did. What happened was that I was unsure if you were the real thing or something fake. I see you _ARE_ the real thing and I am really glad that you chose to help this project, not just benefiting from it.

And as for the linux specific things, that's related with the fact that most linux users are a pain in the ass. Go figure - *whistles to the air*.

Anyway, thank you very much, to you and to your team, I whish the best luck -- really, I do.

Hoping to see you on the news:

Jorl17
Last edited by jorl17 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

This thread is quite offtopic. It should be moved to the appropriate cathegory.

zydon

Post by zydon »

Congratulation to ReactOS and ElementOS teams for the promising results in making a new MS-Windows compatible OS. I think, the long hard working from ReactOS team finally paid off when an UI developers team such as Element Software able to make use the Alpha release of ReactOS core. Its like a repeating of Mozilla success story on their Gecko engine. In this case, ReactOS with his Win NT/XP compatible OS core. While the ElementOS could be in the same path of Firefox team success.

I guess, the ReactOS team could now be more focus on the OS core improvement and stability of it's features. Especially, the kernels and drivers functionalities to match Win XP and above. Hope there will more partnership like this in the near future.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

There is no partnership.
This is Windows software that will run on reactos if anyone chooses to do so.
It won't be included in reactos.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Lets call it a Distribution. The official tree will only accept bugfixes etc. No other big Software which is non existant in WIndows will be added.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

I'm actually glad there is no partnership. I just have a really bad feeling about Element Software, that's all.

patternjake

Post by patternjake »

Ged: File Digger and all additional ElementOS components, Although they can TECHNICALLY run on Windows (and per se, better than it would officaly on ReactOS) This is NOT allowed, only within use of ElementOS kernel itself. (And ReactOS varients). We have taken the steps to protect our software so that it cannot be ripped out of the OS and run on a normal Windows installation. Its either for use on ReactOS and ElementOS, there are no in-betweens. Except in house testing of course.

No there is no partnership yet, which is why we are writing this proposal for the ReactOS teams.

patternjake

Post by patternjake »

EmuandCo:

The ElementOS software will NEVER be existent on Windows, it will only be ever run within the ElementOS or reactOS envoirenments, respectively. We have took protective steps in insuring that the ElementOS shell and binaries are not used on a standard windows install without our permission.

We have performed many bug fixes and GDI enchancements to the ReactOS kernel that we use in this distrubution. The fixes and enchancements will be submitted to the teams if an agreement is settled.

ReactOS Team: You dont have to accept our proposal, but in the long term we highly feel that you would benefit from our offers. We have already made vast improvements to the graphical fronts of ReactOS, and it will not stop there.

Thanks

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Firstly, you are already breaking the terms of our licence by doing this.
Secondly, we can't accept any code which doesn't match how Windows does things.

patternjake

Post by patternjake »

Development update!

Woo! After 4 months and 21 days of development, the file browser in file digger is finally complete and considered a beta product. Weve got a nice screenshot of it running on the desktop for you all to enjoy. This is exactly what you will see in the public beta release if no big bugs are found between now and the release.

(please dont ask us when the release will be, we dont know ourselves yet as there is still a load of work to do yet, but we are getting there!)

[ external image ]

Also the Omnibar is getting a nice update, change of color and more features, bringing it more in style with the Windows 7 taskbar (but radically different!)

We are also working on a dock, but due to the restrictions of the reactOS graphics system, this wont make it into the beta. Also we dont want the OS too macish. LOL

patternjake

Post by patternjake »

In any case, all open source components of ElementOS that we used (ReactOS) will of course be released onto our site for download and modification. Although if we were to become partners it would be more EASIER to merge source codes / tarballs etc.

However you will have to understand that the ElementOS components such as file digger will remain propertory, but the technical underpinnings wont be.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

patternjake wrote:Ged: File Digger and all additional ElementOS components, Although they can TECHNICALLY run on Windows (and per se, better than it would officaly on ReactOS) This is NOT allowed, only within use of ElementOS kernel itself. (And ReactOS varients). We have taken the steps to protect our software so that it cannot be ripped out of the OS and run on a normal Windows installation. Its either for use on ReactOS and ElementOS, there are no in-betweens. Except in house testing of course.

No there is no partnership yet, which is why we are writing this proposal for the ReactOS teams.
I have no idea what your proposal is, I'm not really sure what you're trying to offer us.

Your methods completley conflict with our methods.
Firstly everything needs to be open source.
Secondly any components added must be part of the Windows OS and the implementation must match that of Windows.

Its sounds like a fun project, but I'm not really sure what it has to do with us. It seems like you're trying to use the reactos wave to get your own products noticed.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

There is a wave? Ged: DOnt you think we shold at least look at their fixes? Maybe they are quite useful. Well, I think so
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

zydon

Post by zydon »

I think patternjake's offers was an attractive win-win situation. It doesn't make ReactOS less popular. Instead, ElementOS which is driven by possible licensed (via partnership term?) ReactOS core which would be made to attract the new entry users or migrate from Linux and Mac OS, while ReactOS is the next advance stage of migration from ElementOS for a full Windows compatibility.

Unless, the offer is to make ElementOS becoming the official distribution for reactOS, I wouldn't even bother to look into ReactOS anymore. ReactOS definitely remain as the power users choice of OS. ElementOS or other distribution similar to it probably installed into my secondary PC or Netbook for the jobs need to be done without thinking about the underlying OS.

The graphics development expertise from Element Software might benefit ReactOS to cure Windows GDI resources leaking problems or even open the door to raster graphics engine solutions such as ReactX project and OpenGL improvement. So, it will return to the main issue, how the OS core would be able provide the stability if the OS developer doesn't know the architecture of the graphics power house that demanding the service from the OS kernels? The current basic/classic GUI layer in ReactOS distribution is desperately need help to cure all of those glitches...