Remove foolish posts

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

nute

Remove foolish posts

Post by nute » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:00 pm

I've made some foolish posts in general discussion. Part of the the audit is almost done thread comes
to mind. Why doesn't someone go through and trim some of these threads?

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: Remove foolish posts

Post by Z98 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:06 pm

Because our policy is to not delete posts/threads if they do not break the rules, as doing so would break the flow of discussion.

nute

Post by nute » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:33 am

How many posts are there on these discussion boards? If a flame thread pops up or people ask questions
that there are currently no answers to, does it always make sense to keep that whole entire thread?
People asking about NTFS for example comes to mind. Why not paraphrase and trim to get rid of some
of the foolish comments? Some of the posts on these boards seem just plain nonsensical, not foolish.
If someone were to set a goal of reading these boards completely, how long would it take? Email based
lists as opposed to bulletin boards are as long or as short as their subscribers want them to be and the
real nice ones are searchable through some database. With email as opposed to bulletin boards that get
fuller and fuller over time, it's easier to see the new posts and new information. Perhaps a wiki that is
edited over time would make more sense. Is the goal here to treat every post regardless of content as
sacred no matter what? Rewriting, paraphrasing, even deleting entries may enhance these boards.
At the very least, I'd like a feature that lets me see only the posts that I've made which will allow me
a chance to possibly comment at least on the foolish ones.

nute

Post by nute » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:58 am

I seem to have an inbox in these forums that is private and in it there is hate mail, but no way to delete the messages. According to Ged, hate mail is unacceptable. I'd get a lot less hate mail if some of my comments that were not so wise got taken down or edited. People seem very sensitive and hungry for information where that can manifest itself as, "you've got your facts wrong, I hate you." A simple question about when 0.3.7 is coming out has garnered me some why are you impatient responses. I do have hate mail though and I'd like to be able to delete it from my account.

Electronic bulletin boards and email are the new frontier still. It is easy to make a comment that may be okay today, but not tomorrow. I don't think anyone really wants to make themselves look bad to learn about ReactOS, but that is what can happen with unedited forums. All I'm asking for is a review process so that people who have made unfortunate comments can do something sensible about them.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:11 am

Please do not multipost. Edit your previous mail instead.

videlux

Post by videlux » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:20 pm

Hello "nute", hello Haos

if "nute" regrets , having written some foolish comments in the past, isn´ t it possible to him, to ask the forum-admin to delete those foolish posts or comments?
At least the most problematic ones? It would be possible to place a short remark there, that an offending comment has been deleted following the petition of the author.

If it seems too difficult, to delete the whole comment itself, it could also be an idea, to delete the (nick-)name of the author, also replaced by a short remark.
(Anonymized; poster dissoziates from his own statements.)

Nute, I havn´t searched for your comments. I don´t know how old you are. Some (young) people are not, or not enough aware of the risks and possible consequences of their publications in the web.
Thus I can understand, if somebody would like to "undo" some former actions.
I have read about the problem of some young people. When submitting their application for a job, they ran into difficulties, when the personnel department searched for, and found some foolish personal publications (comments, fotos, videos) in the internet.

videlux

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:29 pm

Deleting private messages simply requires you to check them and at the bottom of the page on the right is a pulldown menu that defaults to "Mark/Unmark as important" which you can change to "Delete marked" and then just hit the Go button next to it.

As far as erasing your past mistakes, take note that you aren't the only one who's screwed up in the past. When I first joined, I got into a massive fight with oiaohm regarding NTFS. That entire discussion is still present, barring some weird database failure. Even when I became a moderator and then administrator on this site, I did not touch it or try to delete anything off of it. I leave it be and moved on so that people can judge me for my current contributions, not for the screwups I made in the past.

And quite frankly, it is not our job to rewrite the past. This is a discussion forum. People express their ideas. Why would we want to alter that expression, short of needing to enforce the rules? How does deleting disagreeable posts "enhance" the board? There is a very clear distinction between censorship and maintaining order, and I have no intention of ever crossing that line. People are welcome to say this project sucks and I'll even have to slap down those to react too strongly in defense of this project. That's how this forum works and that isn't about to change while I'm moderator.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:18 am

I have been here a long time just like Z98 I have some posts I wish never happened.

Now would I delete them if I could. No. Few major reasons.
If I know I can rewrite history why would I have to be more careful not to do that again.
Just like lots of us here have stuffed up so we will forgive most cases. You would have had to have done something really extremely bad to be to that point.
Why should we make everyone look perfect. It is human to make mistakes.

Since your account is not banned what you have done is not past our forgive level. If you watch you posts in 2 to 3 months most people here will have forgot that you even did it or class that you have learnt from your mistakes. Simply accept your mistakes and move on. Same applies to reactos coders if they screw something up they have to accept responsibility for it.

I am sorry to say nute asking for special treatment is more annoying to me than all your other mistakes so far. Personally I don't think Z98 would be as good as a moderator if he had his mistakes deleted and did not have to learn from them.

nute

Post by nute » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:44 am

When I caused someone to say, "you are attacking the project, I hate you," I really wanted to take my post back. I am asking for special treatment and frankly I don't see why that is so offensive. I am not asking to be the only person granted this priviledge. Sometimes the slate has got to be wiped clean, or are first impressions here to be cast in stone? What I'm saying is, what is wrong with the moderators seriously looking into taking down some of my posts and/or editing them with my permission?

I hope my recent posts aren't considered offensive, well aside from the ones in this thread.

Does communicating with the ReactOS community have to involve the community seeing your offensive
remarks indefinitely? That is not very appealing if you ask me. People shouldn't have to hope that the
database will crash erasing their foolish remarks on here.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:23 am

Even if we already had our differences, i will talk to the other mods and if they dont care, might remove some posts. But only if i can persuade them.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:38 pm

No post removals please. This isn't George Orwells world.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:43 pm

Alright, sorry nute
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:59 pm

We're aware that you're asking for special treatment. The answer is still the same. No one will be deleting your posts just because you feel they reflect badly on you. If you did something to cause a negative reaction, learn from it.

Yes, interacting with the community means them seeing your screwups. This holds true for every member, myself and the developers included. This is what it means to be interacting with the public. And don't presume that us deleting your posts will somehow erase them from the internet. If you really want to move on, then don't bring up your past mistakes. This is simply reminding people about them and also pointing people who never saw them to them.