ReactOS Shdocvw.dll is allowing GeoShell to run on Vista.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

gtfunding

ReactOS Shdocvw.dll is allowing GeoShell to run on Vista.

Post by gtfunding » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:27 am

Hello I am new to the Forum. I have been compiling and test reactOS software for a while. I have never got it install natively due to equipment issues. As in SATA huge video cards sat tuner cable tuner etc etc etc. This in mind I have spent a bunch of time running and testing apps on other win32api systems.

For example the ReactOS version of Shdocvw.dll is allowing GeoShell to run with out problems on Vista. I just compiled it and installed it in the Geoshell folder. This leads me to believe that geoshell will probably be compatible. I have also been using the screenshot program from an earlier build that I compile with Vista and it seems to work flawlessly. The taskmanager is also excellent and makes a great replacement for the vista version.

GoBusto

Re: ReactOS Shdocvw.dll is allowing GeoShell to run on Vista.

Post by GoBusto » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:55 am

I'm guessing that this is you.

I tried installing Geoshell on ReactOS SVN (build 34145-rel) via QEMU 0.9 and QEMU itself froze (ie not just the emulated ReactOS) when I double-clicked the installer.exe file.

VMWare was similar. I tried to run the installer.exe and the virtual ReactOS machine instantly rebooted.

As for real hardware, I haven't a clue, since all of my testing stuff is like 60 miles away right now and I don't want to run risks by using this PC (my main machine).

EDIT: Also,
gtfunding wrote:I am hoping to build a version of ReactOS in the very future using GeoShell for the default shell and destribute it freely under the name GeOS if the name is available, and every one is ok with it.
I'm not a member of the ReactOS team, but I can't see any reason why they would have a problem with this so long as you license it under the GPL and stuff. After all, Ubuntu has Kubuntu and Xubuntu.

Although I think that the name GeOS has already been taken. Perhaps GEactOs?

gtfunding

Re: ReactOS Shdocvw.dll is allowing GeoShell to run on Vista.

Post by gtfunding » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:30 am

You are right on. I have just tried it in virtualbox on main system and It did a similar thing with an older ReactOS and Geoshell installer. But in the case of the most recent versionns, it installed fine using the newest verion on Geoshell ver R4.11.10 but then refused to work. It crashed over and over and I was left with out a shell. This all happened using the Compiled SVN source from this afternoon of ReactOS.

Also, I figured that Geos was Probably already taken. It sounded to good. But if not I'll claim it, If I can get it to work. As for the name you came up with I like it and will definitely keep it in the running.

As a side note I tried the litestep installer and the installer froze at installing wallpaper but the OS kept running and working other wise. I then manually installed the files for litestep and changed the default shell to Litestep in the registery. On booting ReactOS give me the Bluescreen and told me there had been a general protection fault and ReactOS had been shut down to protect my computer.

As for the excellent file manager Cubicexplorer that is open source and free. It did what your system did installing Geoshell. It froze during the install with the blue screen and I had to reboot my virtual system. This is sad because I greatly preffer it to winefile based browsers.

I just realized that this part of the thread should probably be relavent to testing and compatability. Well the admins can can feel free to move it if they wish. Have a great night and thank you for your input.