DD2008

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

kevintrooper

DD2008

Post by kevintrooper »

Firefox is holding Download Day 2008 this year, or maybe even this month!

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord

"I pledge to get Firefox 3 during Download Day to set the Guinness World Record for Most Software Downloaded in 24 Hours."

Maybe something like this could be for the ReactOS beta or release?

coldReactive

Re: DD2008

Post by coldReactive »

kevintrooper wrote:Maybe something like this could be for the ReactOS beta or release?
It's possible, but shouldn't the system stuff come first? (Even in beta, system probably won't be complete) If we don't have any system for it to run off of, then what's the point?

Anyway, Firefox is liscensed under many things (MPL, GPL, LGPL and Mozilla EULA) for binary redist. Anyway, if you had Firefox RC1, you would know that you have an RC2 update waiting for you to install (Yup, RCs have auto updates working.)

Keep in mind, Firefox 3 still has many bugs as it is, (IE: History not working in the location bar if you set keep history for zero days, and more.)

Although I'd like to see it included, it's just an extra, just like with Windows.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

I think he means copying the idea, as in
"I pledge to get ReactOS during Download Day to set the Guinness World Record for Most Software Downloaded in 24 Hours."

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

GoBusto wrote:I think he means copying the idea, as in
"I pledge to get ReactOS during Download Day to set the Guinness World Record for Most Software Downloaded in 24 Hours."
But we don't know when the first beta or release is. =/ And we know it isn't any time soon. Although I guess there's always that possibility we can use the idea. But too little people know ReactOS in comparison to Firefox.

cppm

Post by cppm »

There's a reason why the mozilla foundation and firefox can pull this off, and we don't share the money, public appeal or the organization.

kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

cppm wrote:There's a reason why the mozilla foundation and firefox can pull this off, and we don't share the money, public appeal or the organization.

i didnt mean to copy the idea. i mean.. have a Download day to see how many people will download it (before release) and maybe try to get a world record for most downloaded OS in 24h

cppm

Post by cppm »

ah Kevintrooper, we'd be going head to head with the Linux distros there.... think, how many DLoad's do you think Ubuntu gets when it releases?

No, I don't think the world record for most OS Dloads in a day is a realistic target.

But, the time may come, around the release date that ReactOS causes quite a stir and a bit of publicity like this might be appropriate. At the moment however, that is simply hopefull speculation.

We'll just have to wait and see :wink:

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

cppm wrote:ah Kevintrooper, we'd be going head to head with the Linux distros there.... think, how many DLoad's do you think Ubuntu gets when it releases?
Tons. When 8.04 came out, all (I mean it, ALL) of the US mirrors were offline or busy. I had to wait about 2-3 days to get mine. 8.10 is coming by fall btw, probably will include the full version of Firefox 3 (Coming on June 17th, Tuesday.)