OpenGL ICD specs?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Corscaria

OpenGL ICD specs?

Post by Corscaria »

I am looking to write a compatibility layer for AROS (Amiga Research OS) to use windows OpenGL drivers for 3d acceleration, I know ReactOS has already accomplished this compatibility. Would you have any notes and/or documentation on getting the ICD to work to assist me?

I am avoiding looking at your code directly for the time being as I wish to roll the compatibility layer into AROS directly, and the GPL is not compatible with the AROS public license. Though if worse comes to worse I could always release it as a contrib.

Preferably, I'd like to use just the OpenGL ICD drivers themselves, and wrap the neccessary calls to native AROS API's, though I do realize I may have to reimplement certain OS functions. Any information you could provide would be helpful, as this is most certainly going to be harder to get working on AROS than on ReactOS due to the entirely different OS architecture.

Thank you.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Greatlord is currently busy with his job, but I've notified him of your request. When he's finished with his current project, he might be able to help you.

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hi

ICD documations is not public from SGI you need buy a OpenGl Devloping licen and the right using S3 compress/decompress format.
it is being use for compress texture in opengl.

For us have been guessworks and the informations we found in msdn and own test. and thx to mesa3d.

Corscaria

Post by Corscaria »

yes, i know it's SGI doesn't share it without buying a developers license. I was seeking notes and docs created from your efforts. Not the official Documentation.

Very little information is available on windows ICD at all. Though anything available openly, i have collected. When I found out ReactOS had the ICD's working, i checked your license and saw that it is GPL. So i have been avoiding looking at the code, as AROS is licensed under the APL which conflicts with the GPL.

But if you have no notes or Docs, created during your own research, I guess i have no choice but to look at your code, and make the compatibility layer (which would load a windows OpenGL ICD on a non windows-ish OS), be a GPL contrib instead of part of the OS. I thought it might go this way...

Great work on ReactOS, BTW. i ran a LiveCD, and it seemed to work very well. It's just that windows(and clones) isn't my OS of choice.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that you're okay to look at code licensed under the GPL as long as you don't just copy/paste or manually copy it verbatim into your own source code file. Simply looking at it to see how it works and then implementing it in a compatible but slightly different fashion should be acceptable, as far as I am aware,

Can someone else back me up on this/tell me I'm totally wrong about it?

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Corscaria
try reach me at at irc on freenode net server
I am using same nick
I am some times in aros channel but most in #reactos channel