windows vista

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

MadWolf

windows vista

Post by MadWolf »

hi all

I have a windows vista home basic laptop connecting to a netgear adsl modem router DG834 v3 windows vista has problems connecting to the router I have 2 other pc with the same network settings running xp home and xp pro and I do not have the same problem with them 2 pc and clicking on Diagnose and repair is only a short term fix I need to know how to 100% fix the problem
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

what is the connection problem, does vista fail to get an IP address assigned? if so try setting it static and if it fixes it (not a real solution either but may help find it or workaround the problem). assuming it still works from vista, run "ipconfig /all" from a command prompt and check what is correct an what is not
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
does vista fail to get an IP address assigned?
i have set a static ip address
what is the connection problem, does vista fail to get an IP address assigned
windows vista failes to connect to the router it is like i have unplugged the network cable but the network cable is still plugged in

when i start firefox i get the error Server not found

if i try to load my router config http://10.0.0.1 i get the get the error Server not found

i think it may be because ms have crippled vista home basic networking ability even more worse than xp home
gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

Check that you have disabled the dhcp server on your router. Try to ping from vista to xp and vice versa. Eventually open cmd type ipconfig /all > pcX.txt (change the X with a number for each of the 3 pcs) and copy & paste (http://www.reactos.org/paste) so we can take a look.
milesje

Post by milesje »

something very similar happed to me with my Linksys router on my visat Ultimate. I had to track down a updated vista driver from the manufatures website to get it to work. so you may want to check out Netgears site to see if they have a driver that works with vista. noted that my XP box did not need to have drivers loaded it worked as soon as I plugged in the cable, but vista needed a driver to work.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

netgear hehe
do not buy netgear buy something else
at my home i activate a wifi packet q* something, it will crash all netgear network card that is wifi and netgears wifi routers. they can not handle the wifi protocolls well
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Seen simplar one Vista is a bugger. The XP machines will be missing a patch cannot remember the patch off hand. You if find XP not appearing in the Vista network map.

Annoying Vista takes a stupidity hit finds unidentifyable machines on network will not connect to anything even to get updates. Now MS has built in a nice way for anyone to simplely screw up a Vista network. Just plug in a old machine.

Try connecting with the XP machines Off if that works you have the missing patch problem. Guess what its a optional patch that does not come threw windows update.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
netgears wifi routers. they can not handle the wifi protocolls well
that is not a problem for me i am not planning on using wifi

ok thx for the help but until i can get a copy of vista ultimate and MS Release sp1 the easy way to fix the problem when it happens is to reboot the laptop or i am going to bin vista