MS wants to start using viruses

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Vorg

MS wants to start using viruses

Post by Vorg »

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

This is reading like a sensationalist piece that is trying to blow things out of proportion.
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

yeah,their first worm will be a WGA worm. :P
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

This is lot more scary than you are taken it Z98.

Anti-virus worms are classed as grey tech.

Hacker tech classifications. White programers and the like designed and restricted to do no harm. Grey is using black tech against viruses and the like note there are important reasons why its called grey. Finally black the evil virus writers and other trouble makers.

There have been many good worms like the Linux Cheese worm. Of course these are still heavily frowned on. Reason just like the black tech a so call good worm can turn harmful. Apply the wrong fix due to the system being infected with a anti good worm. Yes has happened. It happened with storm complete failure since the storm worm responded with a ddos on source of its attacker.

Now there are other case of a so called good virus gone bad. Yes it fixes the infection but opens up a door for another infection.

Z98 its not blowing it out of proportion. If MS is truly thinking of doing this they also need to read the laws. Under Australian law it makes no difference between a good virus and a bad one. Both could land you in jail for 15 years even if they do no harm.

Best thing in Linux for slowing down to stopping virus infections with the least harm has been application profiles. Now if ms was putting this in first and it had not worked then moving onto this they might have some grounds.

Worm vs Worm tech is major risky. Linux world has had good and bad out comes like the cheese worm. Normal cause of bad outcomes with cheese worm was that it got damaged in transport somewhere so did not ended up repairing correctly worst was a few completely stopped systems.

This is the biggest risk of worm vs worm. That a good worm turns bad and does more damage than what the bad worm was doing. Think about number of machines that get infected under windows the risk of it turning bad is really really high. Linux world were normally only small space is effected by any worm is no were near the same risk of the good worm turning bad.

Please note in my youth I wrote about the use of good worms and a good thing. It only been with age have I found the weak point. Transport damage.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

pear to pear patching. I have written some software and although I haven't got round to it I were going to make it automatically upgrade old versions it finds on your LAN (it is already LAN messaging type software). save on downloads, convenience. calling it a worm does make it sound bad though.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Group policy object from a ads server. Central server update script and so on.

peer to peer updating sounds good until you wakeup that one doggy harddrive or ram or network card could endup with the update being damaged. With cental server you can put more into it to try to reduce the risk of this. Also its the numbers of machines been threw.

How many bad downloads do you get from the web. I have had a lot. It is worse when its active code. The important thing is the means to trace back to stuff up location so you can stop it form happening over and over again.
etko

Post by etko »

Yeah, the problem is that even with good intention, the instant this software will be released to public consumption, it will be abused by real virus writers same way as interwebs exploder is now.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

LOL,
I thought MS was using viruses for years to help the anti-virus software co's.
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

God I love Linux! So much less worrying for me :D

FlyingIsFun1217
nzsmostwanted

Post by nzsmostwanted »

ok flying dude.You state Linux is good.It doesn't pain you.I've been trying to find a version that not only installs, but detects ny WinModem.I have AMD Athlon 64,3000+ x86 version,cpu-1.85 ghz.I have tried lots of free Linux versions, but never found one I could replace windows with, that detected my WinModem.Can you suggest how to get around this problem? When using Linux,and trying to get net connection, which option do I choose? Devx1 or ....? Or would I need an external modem? :?
milesje

Post by milesje »

nzsmostwanted your best bet would be to get an external modem. I use to have the same problem and there is not really a good linux distro that is free that allows you to use a winmodem. there are a few that you can pay for that will work with your winmodem (linspire, Xandros, and a few others). I am not sure, but freespire is a spin-off of linspire which might conatin the necessary parts to work with your winmodem. but, if you are using a winmodem it will be very hard and long process to download any distro. You might also try mandriva, I know at one point it worked with my winmodem, but I not sure if it will work with yours.
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Essentially, your best bet for modem support would be with any distro that uses the latest kernel.

Personally, I can't recommend any certain distro for you (I don't use modems, and you didn't even specify which model you have), and I don't want to veer this thread off-topic.

FlyingIsFun1217