HELP!!! win xp boot problems. very very desperate.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

cdoublejj

HELP!!! win xp boot problems. very very desperate.

Post by cdoublejj »

Where to start? Well nice to see you all it's been a while.

I noticed my torrents were slowing down usually when i reboot they reconnect and speed up. So I rebooted this is where horror struck i got the reboot paradox where it keeps rebooting. it reboots after the xp logo if i boot normally. If i TRY to go into safe mode it just reboots after i select safe mode and hit enter. when i go to do a repair install off my xp cd it acts like it doesn't see that it's installed just shows the portions (i can still get to the xp logo on boot) i should have tryed the repair install first.
when i boot into ubuntu live 7.04 it flashes a "mp bios bug timer not something something" really quick before i can read it all. ubuntu still boots just fine. And my bios seems just fine. Oh also when i try to go into recovery console it now thinks there is an admin password because when i just hit enter at the admin password prompt it says incorrect and i didn't set a password.

Here is the first thing i did i went into recover console not knowing what i was doing and did the default thing for the boot.ini. that didn't work

so then i went to google and found this non helpfull page i found out it only makes things worse after trying it.

http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com/ar ... ?id=8658-0

thanks a lot Charlie White.

well I got the part where you put this in

md c:\windows\tmpcopy c:\windows\system32\config\system
c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak
delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

so when i tried these commands it just said they were the wrong command or something so i did this

cd \windows\system32\config
rename system system.kpp
rename software software.kpp
rename sam sam.kpp
rename security security.kpp
rename default default.kpp

cool they should be backed up. Then i went to do this.

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\system\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\system\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\system\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\system\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

well that didn't work so i did this

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\system\ c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\system\ c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\system\ c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\system\ c:\windows\system32\config\default

well i did that and it gave me a "1 file copied" message
after each one
and typed in exit and rebooted except it didn't reboot so then whent into linux ubuntu live boot to do it again with a front end except it refused to let me write to the hdd.

so then i found a boot program called ebcd and tested my hard drive and it checked out ok.

and thats about as far as i got and now i can't live boot linux :(

i'm very desperate.

any help would be appreciated.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

That's why it's always a good idea to stay as far away from Windows as possible. Get a Mac. Or try formatting your entire HD (or buy a new one) and only install Ubuntu.

If you have any recovery CDs, you could try putting those in and do a non-destructive restore.

Best would be to call your manufacturer for help.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Windows is good system it is not a bad one, if it was bad I should not started on writing code to ReactOS
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Dont blame Windows artguy10 when you`re not sure what went wrong.
Most Win problems are caused by damaged hardware, buggy drivers and viruses/malware. You need to really mess things up not to be able to boot Windows.

cdoublejj: you should try Repair from Windows installer. If this doesnt work, you should use Recovery Console. You shouldn`t copy files randomly... but rather enter safe mode, enable bootlogging, and later check on where it goes bananas. Its hard to give any advice remotely...
cdoublejj

Post by cdoublejj »

neither repair install or safe mode work and recoverconsle now acts likte there is an admin password there isn't but it says i have enter the incorrect password when i JUST hit enter and don't type in any thing in that field.

and artguy10 I use windows for gaming i'd like to see linux run gta or bioshock or crysis i run a pretty good rig for gaming.

edit I decided to take it to a shop that i trust they're saying it'l cost less than 100 to fix it. I talk with the I.T. about my issues and see what can be done.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I hope that you ensured they wont just delete/reinstall...
cdoublejj

Post by cdoublejj »

Haos wrote:I hope that you ensured they wont just delete/reinstall...
yes i'm going to speak with who ever does the job.
this is a shop i trust they are truly honest. I have been happy with there services in the past.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi

tip if your xp is installed on a ntfs partition then go to http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ and build a windows xp live cd then you can get in to a windows like envirement to backup data on the ntfs ntfs partition

imho the best way to fix all windows boot up problems is format and reinstall