The best media player...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

What do you think?

This has to happen!
17%
I like the vision, but prefer songbird's design
9%
Its good, but will never happen
17%
What's wrong with what we have?
57%

Total votes: 23

chrisclap

Re: The best media player...

Post by chrisclap »

The best media player i have come across an use on a day to day basis it Moovida
http://www.moovida.com/

It is free sorts out all your media files, no need for codecs an it looks good.

Check it out :mrgreen:

[ external image ]

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

chrisclap wrote:The best media player i have come across an use on a day to day basis it Moovida
http://www.moovida.com/

It is free sorts out all your media files, no need for codecs an it looks good.
No need for codecs? How do you play ANYTHING then?

Does it have a repeat function?

Does it only allow you to add files to a playlist rather than playing one file in one media player window when you open a new music/video file?

Does it even PLAY video files (such as MPG, MP4, AVI (DivX AND Indeo AND AVC-1), WMV (WMV9 and WMVA), OGG, OGV, OGM)? (I ask this because you said it doesn't need codecs.)

I'll stick with windows media player if I can't do those things, I need to be able to play all those file types.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

VLC and MPlayer can say the same.
It is meant as "we have all codecs already bundled, so YOU don't need (to download another) codecs".

elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

i love latest vlc (1.0.0)

b4dc0d3r

Post by b4dc0d3r »

Every media player author wants theirs to be the sole player - but it will never happen because people like different things.

For example, WMP will refuse to play an AVI missing a single byte (used to anyway) because it wants to make sure it's playing the right thing with the right codec.

VLC always has slow startup time, and is sloppy about dropping frames and sometimes timing, because it's designed for both client and server side streaming, where you might not have all of the file when you want more data.

Others support piles of codecs but have clunky interfaces, others do playlists really well, others have nice interfaces but you can't use a keyboard... others are really nice but crash all the time.

It can't be a replacement until it's modular enough that people can do whatever they want to with it. Loads of options, easily set, loads of hotkeys, reprogrammable keyboard interface... efficient use of screen real estate, being able to switch to a smaller or more informative view... you truly need to write basically 5 or 10 different media players, just being able to switch between several interfaces. It's too much work to make the best, someone will complain it takes too much memory or CPU or installed size is too large. Don't forget web lookups like CDDB and album art. Winamp plugins would be nice to support

Figure out where you want it to really shine and focus there and make it as good as you can. Then shore up everything else. Byt that time we'll be listening to music through direct neural input so you'll have to add the telepathic interface on as well.

janmanzer411

Post by janmanzer411 »

I'd go for VLC for a stand alone. No codecs needed.

Best Regards,
Jan Manzer
Jan Manzer