The best media player...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

What do you think?

This has to happen!
17%
I like the vision, but prefer songbird's design
9%
Its good, but will never happen
17%
What's wrong with what we have?
57%

Total votes: 23

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:53 pm

I wonder why people often put Video and audio players into the same pot.
I have an audio player runnung >90% of the time I'm on my PC. It must be leightweight, hide in the systray and be able to manage a huge bunch of mp3s and play internet radio. MusikCube is my choice here. (2MB mem and ~0% cpu)
And SongBird? That one is really overdone. I wonder it doesn't have build-in google-earth. I mean why does a media player need a webbrowser build in?

z180

Post by z180 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:10 pm

I wonder why people often put Video and audio players into the same pot
That is what I wanted to hear!
MS had a small CD player called "Music Box 2.0" added to a
beta build of Win 95 named 4.00.58.

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:53 pm

ThePhysicist wrote:I wonder why people often put Video and audio players into the same pot.
I have an audio player runnung >90% of the time I'm on my PC. It must be leightweight, hide in the systray and be able to manage a huge bunch of mp3s and play internet radio. MusikCube is my choice here. (2MB mem and ~0% cpu)
And SongBird? That one is really overdone. I wonder it doesn't have build-in google-earth. I mean why does a media player need a webbrowser build in?
That's because their goal is to 'play the web', providing you lots of ways to find new music, connect with other people that listen similar music and most importantly providing a solid internet 'interface' and solid APIs so that plugins can be written by any developer in order to achieve these goals. Sure, if you want a simple soundplayer that lists some mp3s (optionally) and plays them it's too much, but some people want something that manages their music, gives them ways to share and connect and find new stuff, and a nice customizable look and an expandable program. And when Songbird is ready (they're at 0.5 now) it'll probably eat a lot less resources, as programmers mostly first code the concept and get the functions the way they want it before optimizing.
EDIT: and someone might just make a Google Earth or at least Google Maps plugin so that you can see where the people that like the same music live, or how many are near you, or what vacation destinations they like. You just don't know :P
-graey-

betatester

Re:

Post by betatester » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:18 pm

etko wrote:When Winamp or VLC or WMP will handle 50 000 songs fast and easily I will rethink my decision. Till the time arives I'l stick with foobar. Yes it's a bit sad it's not open source. For video I will always use MPC .

Winamp can handle 50 000 fast alredy :D

coldReactive

Re: The best media player...

Post by coldReactive » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:53 pm

I still am bound to Windows Media Player because of the cole2k.net codec package =/

However, what cole2k.net doesn't have is the Ligos Indeo Codec which many people still use to encode AVIs even though they say they're encoding in DIVx :|

FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:57 pm

I know; I grew SO sick of looking for just a music player, since, well, that's all I really want. But no, couldn't find one that really fit the bill.

Of course, that's when I decided to just code my own, which is coming along quite nicely actually.

FlyingIsFun1217

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:10 pm

hi

have a look at fusion media player http://www.fusionmedia.org/
What is fusion?
fusion is the smallest fully-featured media player available! It is based on DirectShow© and features all the latest audio and video formats, if the appropriate codecs have been installed. fusion is free and doesn't contain any spyware or spam.

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:21 am

@MadWolf, can it play single files rather than a playlist. If so, can it play a file continuously in a loop?

Also, there is KMPlayer.

goblacky

Post by goblacky » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:37 am

ok two thing is a muuuuuust for me!

1)have 3d sound options.... I have 5.1 speaker and I want to make it sound like a live performance, not a flat cd. it would be awesome to have presets like "live,hall,Outdoor,etc" and also something like SRS wow effects like WMP does!

2)be modular and only load what I want into the player, i do not want social media site stuff loading on my player since I never use those sites and it would just be wasting RAM and stuff anyway. Also needs to have full sansa fuze support.

Please do it like WMP players syncing and not itunes style synching. WMP does it nice, quick and painless and it does a good job.

Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:33 am

Sound/Video - Codecs

i think, that's all what we need.. in the ffdshow it's all into what it is need, divx, xvid, ac3 and other too ..

best Regards
Blacky

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:37 am

doomonyou

Post by doomonyou » Thu May 07, 2009 2:00 am

I prefer VLC because it will generally take anything I throw at it.
But I also use SMPlayer, MPC Home Cinema, and MPUI.

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive » Thu May 07, 2009 3:02 am

doomonyou wrote:I prefer VLC because it will generally take anything I throw at it.
VLC Doesn't take OGV Files according to some people I've talked to.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto » Thu May 07, 2009 1:22 pm

doomonyou wrote:I prefer VLC because it will generally take anything I throw at it.
I've had some interesting experiences with some .MKV files under VLC giving everyone in the video epilepsy.

greenie

Post by greenie » Tue May 12, 2009 2:50 am

I like vlc. it is always good to have around. It means i don't have to think about chasing a codec to get something to work(especially if i've formatted and forgot what that difficult to find codec was).

Though I dislike that every response to the mention of vlc, audacity, pidgin(name cross platform program) is it does not use win32 api(though I do understand, but this is offtopic forum). I really think vlc is not suitable to be bundled with reactos anyway. It's support for installed codecs is nearly none. For instance it would not work with real alternative(though vlc supports rmvb now). This would confuse normal windows users if they tried to use installed codecs. I think windows media player classic is perfect. Though not suitable for music I feel it's perfect for videos.