Linux games company...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Reacter

Post by Reacter »

NT wasn't meant to run OS/2, it was meant to BE OS/2. P.S. Most BIG OSs have their lies...
More ReactOS, please!
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Floyd wrote:as far as OS/2 subsystems, the subsystems are only compliant with OS/2 1.x text mode. modern linux distributions may no longer support OS/2 (i'm not sure i haven't even seen an OS/2 application in years), but when i checked out linux in college most distributions supported a higher version of OS/2 than that.
Linux does not support OS/2 applications (and never has).
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

The IBM Official Response to the end of OS/2 in migrate to Linux. They also provide complete tech support to do it. http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/abstrac ... .html?Open

Some modern day Linux distributions don't have the OS/2 warp file system for migration.

Sorry OS/2 warp is dead. Linux world thanks you for parent of wine called odin.

Matthias is right that OS/2 warp was never subsystem on linux.

The thing is Linux has had subsystems. Wine is one of the shallowest ones. Most subsystems are kernel level to run other unix's binaries effectively.

Posix certification cost money. One of the past distributions of Linux has been Certified to the same as current Microsoft. There is a reason linux does not go threw Posix certification. Each major kernel change/package change requires the complete core of the distribution to be redone.

From the Linux Testing Project the linux has the posix 2003 standard covered other than paying for final certification.

Mrkaras it is when Reactos will be ready. Compared to when Linux will be ready. Please note Wine is not a emulator. The way it functions is way different. Thread/process management is done by the linux kernel itself there are flags in the linux kernel for windows processes to get special treatment. One of the major reasons why Wine has trouble on most other Unix's.

There is no reason why in time Wines file loader could not be embedded into the linux kernel. Wine is still a lot like Reactos. Own security system is trash. For Wine this is not exactly critical it has Linux security there to back it up.

Posix/Linux and Win32 is required on a OS some how due to the fact that most Open Source apps are for Linux and most closed Commercial is for Win32.

Please note I think Windows NT design of subsystems is not the best. It puts a lot of layers between real hardware and software. Posix benchmarks on Windows XP running the posix subsystem does not get near to linux when wine on linux can get really close to XP at run win32 stuff that should be imposable you would think. Bad news wine is no more layers than what the Windows NT subsystems causes.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

Matthias wrote:
Floyd wrote:as far as OS/2 subsystems, the subsystems are only compliant with OS/2 1.x text mode. modern linux distributions may no longer support OS/2 (i'm not sure i haven't even seen an OS/2 application in years), but when i checked out linux in college most distributions supported a higher version of OS/2 than that.
Linux does not support OS/2 applications (and never has).
i might be mistaken but i'm pretty sure i've seen OS/2 apps run on linux before (text mode apps). when i was in college my friend ran OS/2 warp often would often try to get me to run it. hmm. perhaps i have it reversed and it was linux apps running on OS/2.

still at this point in the game, it's moot. who cares which OS supports OS/2 now anyway? after OS/2 4 IBM quit selling it to individuals (1996) and officially ended support for all of OS/2 in 2006 with 4.52. it's still sold as eComStation -- but until i found it on wikipedia, i've never even heard of eComStation (and i've worked in IT for 8 years--granted, never for a bank).

saying your OS du jour has an OS/2 subsystem is like saying you have a BeOS subsystem; or QNX. in other words, yay for you, no one cares (although i actually like QNX and BeOS--yay haiku!).
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

As this topic has wandered more and more off ReactOS topic, i think it matured enough for closure.
FSX

Re: Linux not compatible...

Post by FSX »

nute wrote:CentOS 5 isn't even listed as a supported Linux platform for Dirk Darling, but it works.
CentOS = RHEL

EDIT
In the 10 days since this topic began, the company has shut down.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

These at the very beginning could be moved to the right place.