Funny thing and questions

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Enmar

Funny thing and questions

Post by Enmar »

I found this funny, ReactOS has a BSOD(blue screen of death) just like Windows. :lol:

Now for the questions:
I was wondering what programming language I should attempt to learn and a good place to learn it(I want to try to self learn it so a website or a book maybe) at so I can help this project as well as Rockbox because I hate feeling useless and coding seems like a useful skill.

Second, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good video editing program (not windows movie maker) that was free preferably open-source and for windows (and ReactOS :wink: (once it works well)) .

Third, when will ReactOS (as in time frame) will be a viable solution to windows because I have an old PC that ReactOS will run under but I have some issues with running from a LiveCD and installing but not under the emulation because windows 2000 hates my sound card and I know I need a better video card (its 1MB) but all other open-source operation systems also hate my computer and I always end up having to use 2000. Specs are as followed:
RAM: 128 (131072 bytes to be exact)
Processor: 400MHZ Intel Celeron
Video Card: 1MB, PCI
and Two 4gb hard drives

Apal

Post by Apal »

Language: C, but you need to learn about Operating Systems which is very difficult.
Program for video editing: Virtual Dub of course if you mean sth like this one!

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

C is the required language for reactos but it may not be the best place to start if you are learning to program. The best language will always be a matter of opinion, some will say C is good to start with but I think you should try Delphi. Turbo Delphi is a free download and as powerfully as C but a lot easier (opinion again), it is however not directly usable as reactos code but will help to teach you to program.http://www.turboexplorer.com/

Turbo Delphi comes with lots of samples and lots more code samples/help is available on-line. It also comes with a full help file/language reference.

If you can't program at all I think your first step would be to learn to program, then learn to program for reactos, don't try to jump in too deep to start with.

the video editor I mainly use is the one that comes with some versions of Nero (free with my hardware anyway) and I also use Wax for special effects (free, not sure about open-source).http://www.debugmode.com/wax/

the time-frame for reactos will still be some time yet try maybe 2008 - 2010 http://www.reactos.org/en/about_roadmap.html

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

ReactOS is done mostly in C, in some C++ and in some assembly. I'm not sure about rockbox. C is definitely the single language to learn to help ReactOS. Although writing lower level parts of the OS will no doubt be difficult, higher level parts like a wordpad replacement or imagesoft should be doable for beginners.

I prefer using avidemux myself; it is free software and for alot of platforms including windows.

I would give ReactOS a couple of years or so to become a good solution for older hardware. By then we will have larger hardware support, better USB support, at least some directx support, and wider application support. We will probably have ext2 FS support. I don't know about sound support or printer support though.

Also, keep in mind that you will be very limited with a 1 meg video card. Probably to 800x600 resolution and in 16-bit colors.

.aart3k

Post by .aart3k »

C is often called "hi level assembler", if you know C you know propably anything about structural programming.
Also Java is good solution to learn, you start thinking in object oriented way :)

Enmar

Post by Enmar »

Do you know of an Linux or other OS that would work well on this old hardware? And to mikedep333 it can get up to TWENTY FOUR bit color not just SIXTEEN. :lol:

BTW I have invites to G-Mail if anyone wants one just PM me and send me your email or email me at enmarabrams@gmail.com, but please no spam

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Debian. It's one of the most lightweight yet powerful systems out there. But that's if you're not using something like KDE and Gnome. And you have to know what you're doing.

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Actually, now that I think about it, Elive might be a good choice.

Enmar

Post by Enmar »

I'll take a look at them once I get a chance.

Enmar

Post by Enmar »

Okay now i need help my screen keeps flashing streaks of color randomly over the screen, does this mean my video card is a POC? What causes this I am clueless it did this with DSL and DSL-n also but not MS Windows.

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

About the video editing program: You are probably not looking for simple tools like virtual dub, but for something wich is really for editing. There's Zweistein (ZS4), wich is freeware, but not opensource. (http://www.zs4.net/, screenshots: http://www.zs4.net/screenshots), it has quite a lot of features.
Maybe someone can convince them to make it opensource.

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

Enmar wrote:Okay now i need help my screen keeps flashing streaks of color randomly over the screen, does this mean my video card is a POC? What causes this I am clueless it did this with DSL and DSL-n also but not MS Windows.
Hopefully this is just a distro specific issue. Try xubuntu or elive.

Also, to save memory usage, you might want to try xubuntu 6.06 LTS (dapper drake) over the latest version (6.10 or 7.04 in a week.) It will be supported for another 4 years or so.

Enmar

Post by Enmar »

It is still doing this even with xubuntu. What is wrong with my computer because it works fine with my better computer but not with the old one.

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

You're right, it probably is your video card. Just get a cheap one off ebay or something.