sorry to say that, but: ReactOS is a joke

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Chis
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:24 pm

Post by Chis »

ReactOS developers deserve a medal. And every donation they get.

I can't believe some of the comments people have made. Yes, 0.3.1 is "late", so what? ReactOS is free. The devs aren't getting anything for this, they're doing it for themselves and the benefit of PC users around the world. The sooner ReactOS can replace Windows the better, but even if it takes another 5 years, I'm glad it's here at all!
Karl
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:04 am

Post by Karl »

The point is that if it takes another 5 years, it won't replace anything.
chrisv5
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:46 am

Post by chrisv5 »

Chis wrote:The devs aren't getting anything for this, they're doing it for themselves and the benefit of PC users around the world. The sooner ReactOS can replace Windows the better, but even if it takes another 5 years, I'm glad it's here at all!
It is their hobby, right. I have hobbies, too. Though I do not ask others to finance my hobby. Esp. not by pretending that I have something which works!

On and on we have been told, "hey it is in alpha, you cannot expect it to work". Yet, they have the chuzpe to suggest that it gets preloaded on Dell computers. Yeah, sure! Honestly that was the last straw for me to prove this is all a SCAM!

There will be never a ReactOS which can be used productively. You read it here first. Good bye ReactOS, welcome Linux
SpoonmAn
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:09 pm

Post by SpoonmAn »

hmm, what a stupid guy, or is he working for microsoft ;-) ???
Apal
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:13 am
Location: Greece

Post by Apal »

I think chrisv5 is partly right.
I still wait to enter the translators group. :S :S. I should count months since the day I sent pms to the devs. Mercy guys!
All is around the irc channel. I cannot join the irc channel and you can't expect from everyone to join it to find you.
I would expect a more organized work.
Linux is getting better and better because there are lots of people working together.
I have an openSuSE 10.2 distro @ my laptop and I'm very excited with the work that has benn done!
This team won't grow up fast because I don't see anyone to care so much.
chrisv5 I understand you and I think you are partly right. Please write with a less aggressive eay though! ;)
Last edited by Apal on Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:04 am

Post by Karl »

I don't mean to be disrespectful to the ROS developers, because I marvel at their work.

But I do think the donations scheme that was running has had (or could have) a detrimental effect on the project. I've seen two conferences announced on the front page that ROS has attended. But in that time, we've had little or nothing in the way of progress with the project.

I'm just worried the ROS developers will go around showcasing the project, without getting on with it. It's been 10 years.
forart
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:36 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Post by forart »

chrisv5 wrote:Good bye ReactOS, welcome Linux
I strongly believe in Haiku instead. :wink:

Check out this interesting Haiku Tech Talk at Google video to understand why (EDIT: it would be great to have a similar video for ROS, where main devs talks about it :idea:).

BTW open source software is immortal, so one day we have a fully working ROS. Meanwhile, try to inform every open source win32 software developer you know at least about the existence of this project (many simply don't know it, so can't help) as I'm indipendently doing.

KNOWLEDGE *IS* POWER 8)
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
PeterK
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:24 am

Post by PeterK »

Karl wrote:I'm just worried the ROS developers will go around showcasing the project, without getting on with it. It's been 10 years.
There's large steps forward in the kernel.

As with cars: You don't see improvements in the engine technology. You just have to believe (or measure the consumption of fuel ..) If You are not familiar with engine technology You don't understand these improvements. But a engine makes no car - and a working kernel makes no working OS.

So please stay tuned. When the "engine" (kernel) works well, at this point the devs have a base for further develope stability, hardware dependencies and so on. Without a working engine it's all a mess ..

You all have helped Windows 1.0, 2.0 ... 3.1 to make Windows big. Now please also wait until this ReactOS gets stable !


Thanks,
Peter.
Chris5 wrote:Yet, they have the chuzpe to suggest that it gets preloaded on Dell computers.
(Am I the only one in this forum who posts: MY PC DOES WORK WITH REACTOS ? Do they all work only for me and my DELL GX 260 ? Nice suggestion. People all around the world, working only for ME ME ME ..;-) )
chrisv5
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:46 am

Post by chrisv5 »

PeterK wrote:
Chris5 wrote:Yet, they have the chuzpe to suggest that it gets preloaded on Dell computers.
(Am I the only one in this forum who posts: MY PC DOES WORK WITH REACTOS ? Do they all work only for me and my DELL GX 260 ? Nice suggestion ..)
The point is that it is YEARS from being usable for day-to-day work. Period. As for booting or not, it seems that 0.3.1 is approaching release for real now (at least there are indications in SVN). Let's wait and see. If it still does not boot... well, an OS which does not even boot, how far is that from being usable?
geertvdijk
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:19 am

Post by geertvdijk »

chrisv5 wrote:
PeterK wrote:
Chris5 wrote:Yet, they have the chuzpe to suggest that it gets preloaded on Dell computers.
(Am I the only one in this forum who posts: MY PC DOES WORK WITH REACTOS ? Do they all work only for me and my DELL GX 260 ? Nice suggestion ..)
The point is that it is YEARS from being usable for day-to-day work. Period. As for booting or not, it seems that 0.3.1 is approaching release for real now (at least there are indications in SVN). Let's wait and see. If it still does not boot... well, an OS which does not even boot, how far is that from being usable?
Well, it's alpha, like you said yourself, and it needs work before it will be usable fully.
But that's just pure logic, it's a handful or two of developers out there with a family (at least some of them) and a job, so there isn't as much time for them as the devs @ microsoft, and there aren't enough developers in like there are @ linux, so it takes longer.
And about the booting (again), do you think microsoft singularity (an OS kernel research program in c#) boots on every pc? Or do you think it only boots on those of the devs until it gets to be something that would make sense to be working on every pc? First you get the bugs out that are there on every pc, then you get hardware-specific bugs, right?
-graey-
chrisv5
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:46 am

Post by chrisv5 »

geertvdijk wrote:[
Well, it's alpha, like you said yourself, and it needs work before it will be usable fully.
You do not get it: they seriously want that thing to be PRELOADED on new computers being sold! With all the fancy new hardware. While ReactOS just supports basic VGA and very, very select VESA devices. That would make really happy customers, won't it?

Now guys, get real! Either it is in alpha or shippable. It cannot be both. Unless... you are just making fun of your supporters.
oiaohm
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:40 am

Post by oiaohm »

Everyone here is clear that its Alpha. http://www.dellideastorm.com/article/show/64682/ This is asking for support not for shipping if this is where the your trouble is coming from. There is a big difference between the two.

Some of the plaining now is for the shippable state even if that is years away.

It would be helpful for development of Reactos was granted the rights to ship drivers and if able source of drivers. The binary drivers would be still be a boost. There are many things that can be allowed by companies that will help.

Please note Nvidia and ATI drivers can be used with Reactos. If you are prepared to go threw the alpha hell to use them. So its not exactly very select range of hardware. Some drivers are just hard to use at this time.

If you don't read the front page of a project and take the warning notice on board that is not our problem. Please note moderators are being very kind not to move this thread to trash.

NO MORE POSTS KICKING A DEAD HORSE PLEASE
PeterK
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:24 am

Post by PeterK »

I'M KICKING A DEAD HORSE ..
chrisv5 wrote:Let's wait and see. ..
Yes. Please, please do THAT !
forart
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:36 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Post by forart »

chrisv5 wrote:Let's wait and see.
chrisv5, sorry again but you don't (want?) uderstand the open source philosopy: you DON'T have to wait, you MUST act !

Open source IS participation (sharing something in common with others) !
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Radhad
Posts: 605
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:09 pm
Contact:

Post by Radhad »

chrisv5 wrote:
geertvdijk wrote:[
Well, it's alpha, like you said yourself, and it needs work before it will be usable fully.
You do not get it: they seriously want that thing to be PRELOADED on new computers being sold! With all the fancy new hardware. While ReactOS just supports basic VGA and very, very select VESA devices. That would make really happy customers, won't it?

Now guys, get real! Either it is in alpha or shippable. It cannot be both. Unless... you are just making fun of your supporters.
No, they hope on support from Dell or other companies so that the work goes faster forward. There is a difference. www.dellideastorm.com is not only to mention which OS should be preloaded. It's a collection of ideas from people and Dell picks out the best or most interesting ideas.
Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest