I don't like this ad...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

nute

I don't like this ad...

Post by nute »

http://www.techworld.com/whitepapers/Wi ... LinuxG.cfm

From the abstract, it is clear right away that there is a distaste for Linux.
It's easy to call someone partisan, who isn't to a greater or lesser degree?
People just aren't who they are without their opinions.

I suppose it's no surprise that you have to potentially pay for the report to get it.

My question is, why is a web site that seems anti Linux linked to from the ReactOS
project web site? Linux is a super popular OSS system that is as stable where
ReactOS isn't yet. If anything, Linux proves that an OSS operating system can
be useful which actually helps ReactOS.

What is the vetting process for ads anyways?

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

You don't have to pay for that report. Just have no script running on firefox and click download. You just get the report no questions asked.

Guess what that is a Oct 2004 report. Its been a free download since then.

Please do not try to cloud things around here. Particularly with over 2 year old report. Even so the report is still a little bit handy. Points to a few weaknesses.

If you had of read the report is pro Linux not anti.
All of which seems to bring us to the conclusion:
Run a Windows server if Linux can’t run the programs you want, on the server you want to use, in the
authentication infrastructure you want.
If you don’t absolutely have to run Windows (for one of the above reasons) then unless the training
requirements are extravagant, Linux will usually be the better value choice.
That is the out come of the report. Its a good trick. Lots of anti-linux people point to that report as weakness in linux only to have egg on face.

The techworld rat trap strikes again.

GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Hello..
I didnt read the report nor do i plan to do so.. that site seems like any other Technology site to me...and seems like a report comparing Windows and Linux .. don't almost all sites do that? .. so it isnt really "anti" linux.. and it seems real old anyway ..

And err what AD are uu talkin bout? the ones on the main page? ever heard bout Google AdSense? its just google showin off some AD based on search result ..
Regards GreyGhost

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Why is this in General Discussions? Can a mod please move this to off topic?

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Cool jets a little Z98 wait for Nute to return and read then to off topic.

We don't want a person say we sweep something like this under table when we don't.

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

oiaohm wrote: If you had of read the report is pro Linux not anti.
All of which seems to bring us to the conclusion:
Run a Windows server if Linux can’t run the programs you want, on the server you want to use, in the
authentication infrastructure you want.
If you don’t absolutely have to run Windows (for one of the above reasons) then unless the training
requirements are extravagant, Linux will usually be the better value choice.
That is the out come of the report. Its a good trick. Lots of anti-linux people point to that report as weakness in linux only to have egg on face.

The techworld rat trap strikes again.
but that summarises to: if you don't mind having your hardware and software options limited and having difficulty in use then linux is a better option.

I agree also that this should be in off-topic

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

I agree kind off topic.

But that is a 2 year old report. How simple to configure has changed.

I have the other problems these days some of the hardware I use these days don't work with windows. Particular hardware accelerated pattern matching.

Please note before attempting to alter the summaries read the report. It is clearly stated that mysql and postgresql perform better on linux. And linux server need less memory to preform better. The word absolutely is critical. The words better value is also saying the same kind of thing.

I love the report for cooking people for being stupid taking stuff out of context by rewording it. Then trying to use it to argue against me.

These days it cuts both ways. The report is a good base to look at a OS. Using the sections they split the compare into would be good to use to compare Reactos to Windows and Linux when it moves into beta. Its not completely useless.

jezebelus

Post by jezebelus »

This Techworld looks like its made by Microsoft :lol: