Vista features

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Stead

Post by Stead »

^^ can't help but feel this topic should be locked now...

although i have a urge to use IBM dos because microsfot is pure evil and none of there os's are ever good enough for me...actually i'll just go back to ma trusty amstard cpc64? trusty 64k of ram, that os barely used a the entire 64k, far better than vista...and it didn't need signed drivers! heck, didn't even need a driver at all!

and if i remember right u could get a nice 8mb harddrive for it :lol:

Tachikoma_Pilot

Post by Tachikoma_Pilot »

me agree lock FTW !!!

haha i hate flaming and i have a feeling this will go bad :roll:

jezebelus

Post by jezebelus »

Vista is the worst OS along with Win 2000

samwise52

Post by samwise52 »

I LOVE VISTA
ALWAYS USE THE LATEST VERSION OF YOUR OS!!!!!!!!!
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Wait till you are gonna try to play Protected Content... Vista has many suprises that are yet hidden before our eyes.

Iain Marais

Vista Features

Post by Iain Marais »

Vista has no DirectSound/3D subsystem. It's as if MS is concentrating on the GUI more than the DX systems :o

Reacter

Post by Reacter »

Shot that one down right.
More ReactOS, please!

mf
Developer

Post by mf »

I've never gotten into contact with DRM'ed content, actually. Unless you count CSS (not the stylesheets, but the scrambling system) as DRM, and I can assure you that DeCSS works perfectly fine on Vista (DVD CSS+Region Free works, too) ! It plays MP3s just fine, and I've seen no problems playing DVD rips, HDTV rips, or even HDTV transport streams. I'd even go as far as claiming that a descrambled BluRay rip works, but I haven't actually tried that. In fact, I've seen nothing of this whole DRM scheme, apart from the fact that there is an "audiodg.exe" running in my process list, which is apparently protected. I was able to un-protect it using DPinPurr, though-- so I don't think it's that much of a threat to my freedom. But maybe this whole DRM scheme is disabled in my case, and I can't even play protected content if I wanted to; I have a dozen or so unsigned drivers (which I recall weren't even supposed to work on Vista without huge branding letters reminiscent of running safe mode on Win95) that could compromise DRM security.

Anyhow, moral of the story: read less FUD, and just try it for yourself. It's not all the evil it's cracked up to be. And the eyecandy's quite nice, I might add.
It compiles, let's ship it!

phoenix

Post by phoenix »

And the eyecandy's quite nice, I might add.
Especially that is one of the features which aren't interesting for me. I have Gentoo Linux with Compiz, and imho that looks much better.
It's more the rest which sounds interesting to me, for example controlling the computer with your voice, a feature Linux doesn't have and likely won't have for ages.
And of course Vista's compatibility and better system design compared to Linux.
I won't switch to Windows though. I might try BSD as soon as there are graphic drivers for 64 bit systems, but I think I got far too used to Unix and think it's superior to Windows anyways, at least for me.
my blog: phoenix.de.am

Reacter

Post by Reacter »

DRM only blocks me when I put a legal ROS CD into the drive. That is because Vista still thinks ReactOS was an illegal copy of Windows, and it determined that my installation method was the CD-drive. Therefore, I must mostly shutdown Vista to the bare pieces to run ROS on QEMU, unless I have an ISO.
More ReactOS, please!

mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Reacter wrote:DRM only blocks me when I put a legal ROS CD into the drive. That is because Vista still thinks ReactOS was an illegal copy of Windows, and it determined that my installation method was the CD-drive. Therefore, I must mostly shutdown Vista to the bare pieces to run ROS on QEMU, unless I have an ISO.
Right. And how do you explain this screenshot?

[ external image ]

Works for me.
Somehow I wonder if people that have a certain mindset attract certain problems simply by expecting them. The funny thing is, that since I've gotten more optimist towards Windows, it seems like I've had less issues with it, but that might just all be in my head ;).
It compiles, let's ship it!