Vista features

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

nute

Vista should be ignored...

Post by nute »

Seriously, target Windows XP Pro and put something out that is better,
than go your own way. The less you have to support that is determined
by Microsoft, the less auditing that has to be done. If Microsoft is truly
moving to something else, grab the market that Microsoft is abandoning.
The greatest OS is one that runs the worthwhile software most people
have better than ever. Don't be afraid to attract open source software
projects to ReactOS.

I agree with the contempt one poster expressed towards Windows
wasting memory. If ReactOS doesn't waste hundreds of megabytes
of memory, it will be so much better than Vista. If ReactOS doesn't
have a kernel memory leak, it will be better than a most versions of
Windows.

I hope ReactOS objects don't have extraneous functinos for crackers
to expose and exploit.

Another thing, follow the KISS, keep it superbly simple, principle.
What you understand is what you are most efficient and effective
with. Vista is a prime example of what ReactOS should not be.

As far as Internet support. Careful, I wonder if Weatherbug and similar
services are going to be supported for older versions of Windows let
alone ReactOS forever? Does ReactOS really have to inherit the whole
COM, .NET, and DCOM nightmare? I think CORBA is a better idea.

On of the reasons Linux is so hot is that Windows networks are notoriously
insecure and inefficient.
geertvdijk

Re: Vista should be ignored...

Post by geertvdijk »

nute wrote:Seriously, target Windows XP Pro and put something out that is better,
than go your own way. The less you have to support that is determined
by Microsoft, the less auditing that has to be done. If Microsoft is truly
moving to something else, grab the market that Microsoft is abandoning.
The greatest OS is one that runs the worthwhile software most people
have better than ever. Don't be afraid to attract open source software
projects to ReactOS.

I agree with the contempt one poster expressed towards Windows
wasting memory. If ReactOS doesn't waste hundreds of megabytes
of memory, it will be so much better than Vista. If ReactOS doesn't
have a kernel memory leak, it will be better than a most versions of
Windows.

I hope ReactOS objects don't have extraneous functinos for crackers
to expose and exploit.

Another thing, follow the KISS, keep it superbly simple, principle.
What you understand is what you are most efficient and effective
with. Vista is a prime example of what ReactOS should not be.

As far as Internet support. Careful, I wonder if Weatherbug and similar
services are going to be supported for older versions of Windows let
alone ReactOS forever? Does ReactOS really have to inherit the whole
COM, .NET, and DCOM nightmare? I think CORBA is a better idea.

On of the reasons Linux is so hot is that Windows networks are notoriously
insecure and inefficient.
Well, seeing the goal of ReactOS I'm afraid that things as COM, .NET and DCOM have to be implemented up to some level, because it's about windows compatibility... I'm not really into it, but I'm quite sure creating a wrapper for it might be safer in the beginning, but also lots slower. And as ReactOS' developers won't code it the same way microsoft does, they can make a genuine safe implementation of it all, and it could be quicker as well... CORBA can be done, but COM, .NET and DCOM are quite necassery I think...
-graey-
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Cobra hasn't even been released yet. When it has, their own devs can create a Windows version, which will work on ROS anyways.
Karl

Post by Karl »

I don't get this. People bash Microsoft all the time, yet they all use Windows. We should show them some respect - we like their software.

1. Vista DRM Moaning

Get a clue. Vista includes support for new DRM technologies, but nothing is forced upon you. The content providers wanted it, and so Microsoft had to add support for it. But no DRM is put on your music library, and nothing that wasn't DRM-ed by another party has DRM added to it by using Vista.

2. "Eye-Candy"

Vista is a whole lot more than a visual update. There are security features that go right through the system, that a standard user, regretfully, won't see a lot of. Things like filesystem and registry virtualisation, transactional registry and filesystem, protected mode for IE, and the wholly redesigned Windows Firewall. And not all of it is features - they've closed lots of holes that hadn't even been discovered by malicious software writers. They've put lots of the code through automated checking procedures, and found bugs they didn't even find when manually checking each line of code.

And the new effects are due to the DWM, which treats the entire desktop as a 3D scene. And that's only possible thanks to the new user-mode driver model, which means you get fewer bluescreens and you can update graphics drivers without rebooting. The end effect is a more efficient use of hardware, which gives a perceived better-performing system.

And then there are loads of new things like the P2P framework, Restart Manager, Application Recovery, the new networking stack, the new audio stack. Those are all things users won't see. But they're there, and they're built more securely than before, more componentised than before, and with better features than before.

Vista isn't all that bad. Stop slamming it when you don't know how much work it took, and what new features it really has.
Stead

Post by Stead »

Couldn't agree more with Karl, i've been wanting to post something about vista for ages with everyone bashing it, I've been using the beta for quite a while and i have to say its fantastic! ok, it does use a lot of resources, but at the end of the day i bet all the people complain about the resources here don't drive tiny cars that run on water because they don't like how many resources the more poweful cars use...

I'd also like to say, I think windows is amazing, and i truely belive if it wasn't for microsoft pc's wouldn't be ware they are today, ... image we never had microsoft office!
Tachikoma_Pilot

Post by Tachikoma_Pilot »

Karl, Stead, ur high on drugs :roll:

P.S. Karl u smell like a microsoft employee
markanini

Post by markanini »

Tachikoma_Pilot wrote:Karl, Stead, ur high on drugs :roll:

P.S. Karl u smell like a microsoft employee
Judging by your reply it seems "ur" the one thats high on drugs.
Why would a microsoft employee have ROS also emulating all the features of their latest greatest OS?
"U" smell like a troll.
preston
Developer

Post by preston »

no offense guys but someone should lock this thread before it's too late :)
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

You agreed to the "Registration Agreement Terms", please read them again:
http://www.reactos.org/roscms/?page=register

Topic moved
Stead

Post by Stead »

I feel i should put my hands up and apoligise incase my post offended anyone! :oops:
Tachikoma_Pilot

haha stead u didnt offend me at all, :lol:

Karl and him lackie 'markanini' who believe DRM management should be part of your OS should go jump in the ocean and never return, as well as believing that microsoft didn't have a choice? haha laughable.

In any case DRM should be handled by the digital content maker and not be rooted into ur OS an pushed down ur throat as a 'feature' we are more intelligent than that so please dont insult me with ur high on crack posting nonsense about how DRM was forced upon microsoft by hollywood, they made the choise and i hope VISTA fails miserably.

:P
Karl

Post by Karl »

so, tachi, tell me one place where DRM is "forced down your throat" in Vista.

I've been using it for some years now, and I've never seen any mention of DRM anywhere in the OS.

And as it happens, I'm not a Microsoft employee. As it happens, I seem to be one of the only people who look at things realistically, and don't scream "Vista = DRM! OMG!" when the FUD-spreading media does. I actually look about the OS for things that are really there. And it turns out DRM is not one of those things.

It also turns out Vista is a whole lot more than a new look and some fantasy DRM.

EDIT: Tachi, you do not appear to have an informed opinion. Nor do you appear to have informed grammatical abilities. Please use grammar - it helps read your posts.
Tachikoma_Pilot

Sure karl, u go ahead and use vista i dont care it not my unsigned drivers thats gonna magically disapear from my pc, u've been using vista for years? :lol:

U live in space dude lets end this right here, and agree to disagree okies? :roll:
Karl

Post by Karl »

Well yes, I have been using Vista for years - since it was codenamed "Longhorn".

And I would like to settle this stupid idea people have that Vista has DRM inside of it. Show me one piece of DRM in Vista, then you'll have a valid argument. I'm not going to 'agree to disagree', because it's not a matter of opinion - there is no DRM in Vista. Fact. I'm a big supporter of ROS and free software, but that doesn't mean I like to see FUD get passed off as truth. Get the facts straight before you start running down what is IMO a great product.

And not supporting unsigned drivers that run in kernel mode (read that again: it only affects drivers that want to get in to the kernel's space), is a very good thing. Not only does it only impact x64 (so it affects as few devices as possible), but it is user-configurable, and stops a great number of security problems. But if you want to complain about the lack of unsigned kernel-driver support, complain to the rootkit creators who exposed that attack vector.

Decisions like that are not made without a good reason. Microsoft is not a company that stakes its most valuable product line on random and user-unfriendly decisions. That's why you won't see any DRM in Vista.
markanini

Post by markanini »

Tachikoma_Pilot, don't contaminate this community with your mindless assumptions and calling anybody thats not as big of an idiot like you high on crack. Putting words in other peoples mouths wont do any good either.

Vista will sooner or later take the place of XP, after all, people like the flashy interface and it's bundled with new computers now. Developers will try to take the good parts of Vista and integrate it in ROS no matter how much you whine. After all if Vista will still has features that ReactOS doesn't deliver Microsoft will simply continue having the most market share.

DRM was included already in ME and 2000. The DRM included in Vista is for HD content which you cant play back on any other OS's anyway. If DRM was forced upon you in Vista, even consumers wouldn't buy the OS, who loves downloading and sharing media more than consumers? Get a clue.