Vista features

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

digiboy
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:47 am

Vista features

Post by digiboy »

Well, Vista is officially released today. I've been running a trial version for a while and think there are some improvements that I hope make their way into ROS someday. Such as....

1) The Desktop is treated as an App and shows on the ALT+TAB list.
2) Resize any partition in the local disk mgr (even the one your running on)

Other than that, it's just a lot more eye-candy. The first thing I do is apply the Windows classic theme (I'm a minimalist).

The backup system also sounds like a good idea, although I haven't tried it and don't know if it's any good.
As for all the new applications, they are not part of the OS so ROS shouldn't be concerned with them anyways. Who wants to rewrite MS apps anyways?

jason.b.c
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:50 am
Location: Marshfield, Missouri

Re: Vista features

Post by jason.b.c »

digiboy wrote:
Other than that, it's just a lot more eye-candy.
And that is all Vista really is , Just "Eye Candy"..!!

It's stupid what people will buy or do just to have the latest and coolest...
digiboy wrote:The first thing I do is apply the Windows classic theme (I'm a minimalist).
Then why did you buy it..? If that was all you were going to do with it... How stupid..!

Apal
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:13 am
Location: Greece

Post by Apal »

One of the benefits of me being a Vista beta tester was the free copy of Vista Ultimate! ;)
But for its price, it's over-estimated I think.

Radhad
Posts: 605
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:09 pm
Contact:

Post by Radhad »

I got Windows Vista Busniess over MSDNAA, so ale free to me. From standard security point of view isi t better than WinXP, but XP has more oerformance and if ROS is in beta phase, it will be better than XP even if only 50% of the software works fine!

digiboy
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:47 am

Re: Vista features

Post by digiboy »

jason.b.c wrote: Then why did you buy it..? If that was all you were going to do with it... How stupid..!
I didn't buy it, it was a trial version that I downloaded from MS. I said that in my original post.

But would I buy it? Only if buying a new PC/laptop and was forced to.

digiboy
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:47 am

Re: Vista features

Post by digiboy »

jason.b.c wrote: And that is all Vista really is , Just "Eye Candy"..!!

It's stupid what people will buy or do just to have the latest and coolest...
Well, to be fair, there are a LOT of new technologies in Vista besides just eye-candy. Such as the disk resizing as I stated. A new backup system. And you can use a USB flash drive as a swap drive, although I think that is pointless. Most systems have enough memory to disable disk-swapping anyways.

The feature that is missing that really disappoints me is EFI support which is suppose to come out with SP1 now. MS claims there is a lack of EFI systems out there to develop for it. But if the MAC could do it, why not MS?

EFI will make OS development so easy. Less drivers to worry about, and more boot stability. ROS could greatly benefit from EFI since I can't get it to boot on most of my real hardware. Maybe MS understands this and is internally resisting EFI. (conspiracy?)

Anyways...

geertvdijk
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:19 am

Re: Vista features

Post by geertvdijk »

digiboy wrote:
jason.b.c wrote: And that is all Vista really is , Just "Eye Candy"..!!

It's stupid what people will buy or do just to have the latest and coolest...
Well, to be fair, there are a LOT of new technologies in Vista besides just eye-candy. Such as the disk resizing as I stated. A new backup system. And you can use a USB flash drive as a swap drive, although I think that is pointless. Most systems have enough memory to disable disk-swapping anyways.

The feature that is missing that really disappoints me is EFI support which is suppose to come out with SP1 now. MS claims there is a lack of EFI systems out there to develop for it. But if the MAC could do it, why not MS?

EFI will make OS development so easy. Less drivers to worry about, and more boot stability. ROS could greatly benefit from EFI since I can't get it to boot on most of my real hardware. Maybe MS understands this and is internally resisting EFI. (conspiracy?)

Anyways...
I'm not saying MS is right, but Apple could do it (MAC doesn't write software :P) because they only support one hardware platform, being their own... Microsoft didn't do it because EFI isn't being used widely in normal consumer-'space' (I think) and Vista is ment for 'normal' computers (after all it isn't a server release, I'm still testing Longhorn Server 8)).
And indeed, Apal, the free copy rocks ass, just like rolling into Ultimate Extra's Beta :)
-graey-

Angelus
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: Spain

Post by Angelus »

No way... I'll be waiting for ReactOS. (Keep on the good work, devs.)

Microsoft is digging his own tomb. More resources compsution is not equal to better OS. IMHO the better OS is the one that gives more resources to the software you use to work with. How is possible that you need at least 1 or 2 Gb of RAM to run decently only the OS? (They talk about 512Mb as minimum requirements... but i think that it is only to watch the desktop).

And it is not necessary to talk about prices and licensing policy. :evil:

Talking about Apple, they MUST to license their MacOS to a/some PC platform manufacturer/s now. This is the moment to kick Microsoft.

digiboy
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:47 am

back to the topic

Post by digiboy »

Anyways, lets stay on topic.

Vista features you would like to see in ROS...

petejingo
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:50 am

hmmm

Post by petejingo »

Nothing much until the whole project reaches a kind of maturity and more perhipheral (sp?) things can then be concentrated on. Alternate UIs to the standard ReactOS would be good for those that want them. If the USB - additional memory thing catches on it should be implemented as well. But I can't see either being a priority for a while yet.

Radhad
Posts: 605
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:09 pm
Contact:

Post by Radhad »

First of all, S-ATA support would be great, so that newer computers also could use ReactOS...

The window-preview with ALT + TAB and when your cursor is over the taskpane looks good, but it is not a "must have". The startmenu under Aero is cleaned up, but you cannot manipulate later where the folder of software xy should be (I haven't found it yet). I think that is the only GUI thing I like. Also the user should be a user with limited rights and not the administrator. Like in Vista, a messagebox asks if the program get's administrator rights for installation or something like that. that's a thing for login to ReactOS and mutliuser (later).

petejingo
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:50 am

yeah

Post by petejingo »

"built-in" as it were, S-ATA hard drive support would be good - it's not impossible to use one in XP, but it's difficult (correction: at least it used to be, remember reading an article devoted to getting one working with XP, chances are that's fixed by now, don't quote me on that).

Ahh yes, the new ALT+TAB preview does look good, something to add eventually.

With the whole admin/user rights..that should also be done, though then there's the whole software being (re)written to run under merely 'user' previlidges issue...'can of worms' comes to mind.

SpoonmAn
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:09 pm

Post by SpoonmAn »

did not realy test vista yet, but i think they built in some changes with user accounts, in the german forums there was suggested to threat every user just as a user, no admin accounts and if a software or the user wants to do something that requires admin rights the user should be asked to enter the admin password similar to runas, but the permission could be optionaly stored so the user wont be asked again if he decides so.

SpoonmAn
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:09 pm

Post by SpoonmAn »

ah, and i whould really suggest to get dx10 compatibility as soon as possible, this whould kick vista out of business ;-)

Tachikoma_Pilot
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:56 pm

Post by Tachikoma_Pilot »

Things i dont want from vista :

Draconian DRM management. :evil:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest