AERO

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ferret-Simpson

AERO

Post by Ferret-Simpson » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:21 pm

Hmm.

A "highly optimized" GUI featuring transparencies and other neat little special effects.

I have to say, it seems awfully like KDE in places, which ran at full whack on my old Pentium 233 notebook with 96MB Ram.

Actually, Windows XP ran at full whack on that, too. If only I still had it, I could try and install Vista for kicks.

Hold on, How the hell can I be having Packet collisions on my hub? It's only connected to one PC and my router!

But yeah, is there any plans to do a MS and implement a Ridiculously over complex GUI? (Although admittedly, being Open Source somebody might bother ACTUALLY optimizing the ReactOS equivalent, rather than using "Don't and say we did." Seriously. How can you run a GUI that needs a 128MB Graphics Card to run? HOW CAN YOU JUSTIFY THAT?????

Sorry, Sorry, Off topic ranting appears to have started. I'll shut up now.

Switchboy

Post by Switchboy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:34 pm

Well maybe you know compiz in Linux. It does the same and more than aero while it eats less resources. You should check it out. I also heard stories that aero actually runs better in openGL than in direct 3D but that may be just stories.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:36 pm

I'm fairly sure the ReactOS developer team intends to keep the GUI simple. At least from previous board threads, I've gotten the impression that ReactOS is trying to be lightweight. Adding something like Aero would not help to accomplish that.

PUOjACKz

Post by PUOjACKz » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:44 am

Z98 wrote:I'm fairly sure the ReactOS developer team intends to keep the GUI simple. At least from previous board threads, I've gotten the impression that ReactOS is trying to be lightweight. Adding something like Aero would not help to accomplish that.
These type, of EyeCandy features, could be introduced in a parallel distro, when the 1.0.0 of ROS will be released.
Remember, ROS is a Windows-Like OS, OPENSOURCE. :wink:

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:38 am

Or someone could release a shell or theme to sit on top of ReactOS without the need to create a "distro"

PUOjACKz

Post by PUOjACKz » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:45 pm

The native idea was to introduce a utility like WindowBlind (in it's concept of eyecandy modularization), with the possibility not only to introduce new graphic object, in the shell, but, to reduce what is still present (think about the option System Property-> Advanced Tab-> Performance-> Visual Effects on WinXP).

The problem is that, this feature introduce code in the OS, thing that could be bad if you want to use ROS to act like a server.