Installer CD

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Flappz

Installer CD

Post by Flappz »

Hi everyone,
Lsat week I downloaded a Windows XP CD. I saw that the Torrent said Windows XP SP3, and I took it as a beta Service pack, but it turned out to be a bootable cd with all the current updates. Well I install it on a junker in my basement to have a look at it.
Ummmmm
well aparently this kid slipstreamed the Installation, I didnt have to type or change anything after it asked what file system I wanted.
He put a XP key and everything in there.
andfter the install the CMD came up and stuff was just buzzing along. I couldnt read anything it was going so fast.
Well It turned out that it was Un-Packing files, this kid had MS Office 2003 and alot of other software like Win-Rar and Adobe Reader already instlled.
Needless to say as illegal as it is to do this with Costly software, ROS is free.
I want to know if anyone knows how to do this.
I wanna make a Installer cd for personal use with ROS, Open Office, and a few other freebies.
Thanks
Phil
Coviti

Re: Installer CD

Post by Coviti »

Flappz wrote:Hi everyone,
Lsat week I downloaded a Windows XP CD. I saw that the Torrent said Windows XP SP3, and I took it as a beta Service pack, but it turned out to be a bootable cd with all the current updates. Well I install it on a junker in my basement to have a look at it.
Ummmmm
well aparently this kid slipstreamed the Installation, I didnt have to type or change anything after it asked what file system I wanted.
He put a XP key and everything in there.
andfter the install the CMD came up and stuff was just buzzing along. I couldnt read anything it was going so fast.
Well It turned out that it was Un-Packing files, this kid had MS Office 2003 and alot of other software like Win-Rar and Adobe Reader already instlled.
Needless to say as illegal as it is to do this with Costly software, ROS is free.
I want to know if anyone knows how to do this.
I wanna make a Installer cd for personal use with ROS, Open Office, and a few other freebies.
Thanks
Phil
What the heck is this? Leave piracy off the forums... :roll:
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Yeah, generally not a good idea.

Anyways, in trying to answer your question, it's more likely that something like that would be done through the LiveCD. I don't know what the script to build the LiveCD is though, or if it's included in the build environment.
Flappz

Post by Flappz »

I was explaining that the Piracy was a accident, I thought it was just a SP3, which is free.

I was trying to ecplain that as a example for what I want to do in a installer cd.
I want to add free software like The Gimp, Open Office, and all sorts of other usefull software that you can have the option of installing upon installing ROS.
Just like a Linux distro.

So I was not promoting Piracy.
Phil
forart

Post by forart »

Flappz wrote:I want to add free software like The Gimp, Open Office, and all sorts of other usefull software that you can have the option of installing upon installing ROS.

Just like a Linux distro.
Yes, we're discussing this in the italian forum...

I think we should build a "base install" for everyone, and specific distros for particular uses (for example, it would be great to have a Open Games LiveCD...) :roll:

The idea comes from Software Wishlist section @ the Haiku wiki...
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Tachikoma_Pilot

Post by Tachikoma_Pilot »

sorta the same thing i was going on about in my tachi packs thread maybe include sum freeware with the installation....

just basic stuff like compression agent, e mail client, pic viewer, media player, and sum more open standard drivers..

Oh yess and i dont mean now.... i mean when react becomes more stable and is ready for everyday use ^_^
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

This actually came up a while ago. I was still relatively new at the time. One of the others pointed out one of the objectives of ReactOS was to move more and more to a LiveCD setup. While I don't know if this holds true anymore, having the LiveCD would mean that anyone, providing the scripts were supplied, could build their own LiveCD with whatever programs they wanted, providing there's enough space on the CD, and then do a HD install.