Merging windows of different versions

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

alexei2

Merging windows of different versions

Post by alexei2 »

Have anybody ever heard about people making custom MS Win using files from different versions of the OS?
For example, I found cmd.exe from 2003 runs OK in Win 10.
Is it only me, who got this idea?
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Merging windows of different versions

Post by EmuandCo »

Heard yes, used, no. I see no reason for that and regarding licensing this is more than questionable to be legal.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
I know of two projects for that but for windows 98/98se one to swop windows explorer for the Windows 95 version the second that updates some of the windows 98se files for the ones from windows me 98SE2ME this my not count Falling Leaf Systems Alky Project viewtopic.php?t=5021
silvicky

Post by silvicky »

No, some applications may work but you can't mix the core OS, I tried.
Don't even need to mix them, simply install without formatting the disk, and the new system won't work at all.
That's why windows create a windows.old folder while doing huge upgrade.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

You can install multi-Windows with a boot selector, but you need to install Windows with other name folders.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I always use task manager from Win7 to Win8 & 10 by simply copying it over. It is superior in my eyes. Not strictly legal but it is for my use alone.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.