Ideal OS

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

alexei2

Ideal OS

Post by alexei2 »

I believe it would be nice to hear from community, how would you see the OS, whuch you'd consider "ideal".
Here are some of my requirements to such OS:
1. Can use unchanged drivers written for other operating systems (any version of Windows, linux, haiku, OS/2, etc.).
2. Provides security via isolation of applications - each appllication runs in its own environment fully controlled by user, including access to network, files, etc. I mean "rights" are set per application, not per user, though user may be limited to use applications.
3. Does not need updates, unless user wants additional functionality. What works should work forever.
4. Provides multiple execution environments suitable to particular applications.
5. Has defaults that make it very safe, such as blocked incoming connections and disabled network sharing ("stealth PC" by default).
6. Provides several GUI interfaces, such as "Classic XP", "Win 10", etc.
7. Has a lot of simple switches to "tweak" everything, like "Disable all animations", "Disable IPV6", etc.
8. Despite of whatever environment is provided to application or driver, all its stuff is held in a designated folder, which can be transferred to another PC. Unused software components are normally separated from those in use.
9. OS itself should be strictly separated from applications, has separate file system, etc.
Probably I forgot something, will be glad to hear from you.

BTW, I've been following ROS for a long time, unfortunately, I had to setup a new account :(
vic

Re: Ideal OS

Post by vic »

As a simple user, I don't understand all that, but I like # 3, 5, 6, 7.

- Defaults that are actually voted by a majority of users, but that can be customized.
- Customizations to be able to save "at a button" in some file to transfter easily when restore/reinstall/upgrade the OS.
- more customizations ;) . I for one hate how win 10/11 make the desktop more like a cloud-sucking-tablet, with little ability to change.

- consistency and easier to learn and customize.
Ideally, every cmd line tool to have a text (thus not necessarily gui)- user interface, to click in menus etc.
Alternatively, cmd line tools to be, for example, object-oriented, so that once you type an "object" to process, you could be automatically suggested a list of relevant functions/methods/commands you could apply. Like, context-based suggestions. Instead of having to read long, hard to remember manuals for how to use a command and all its options...
artmrch

Post by artmrch »

free and open sourced windows xp 64mb iso
Last edited by artmrch on Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
dizt3mp3r

67 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
middings

Post by middings »

vic wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:53 amIdeally, every cmd line tool to have a text (thus not necessarily gui)- user interface...
PowerShell?
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

is there a link to it?
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Davey C39

Post by Davey C39 »

Your ideal OS should have:

Compatibility with drivers from other OSes.
Strong app isolation for security.
Optional updates for added functionality.
Multiple execution environments.
Safe default settings.
Various GUI interfaces.
Easy customization options.
Efficient storage management.
Separation of OS and apps.