Microsoft removed 32 bit support

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

dave67

Microsoft removed 32 bit support

Post by dave67 »

Just learned that Microsoft ditched 32 bit support as well. Even krita has ditched it as well.
dizt3mp3r

Re: Microsoft removed 32 bit support

Post by dizt3mp3r »

bollox and widdles to that - quite untrue.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dave67

Post by dave67 »

Are you sure? I heard any new laptop or desktop moving forward is 64 bit only.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Yes, of course, any new device will be shipped with a 64 bit o/s and there will be no more 32 bit versions of Windows shipped. That does not mean that 32bit Windows software will not be supported. You are jumping extremely far to utterly incorrect conclusions.

If MS withdrew 32bit support thousands of corporations would very quickly change Microsoft's mind using a blunt hammer.

Windows 64bit can run 32 bit programs and therefore MS supports 32bit programs on Windows.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dave67

Post by dave67 »

But there not gonna support 32 bit verison of windows anymore. If they do that then many companies will end up cutting off 32 versions of their products as well. Like Firefox. Krita has done this already.
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

Then here is ReactOS to support older hardware with older apps
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

dave67 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:30 am But there not gonna support 32 bit verison of windows anymore. If they do that then many companies will end up cutting off 32 versions of their products as well. Like Firefox. Krita has done this already.
So, who really cares? ReactOS is not meant as a mainstream replacement for Windows now and that should be obvious from its development progress. By the time ReactOS is anywhere near usable five-ten more years will have passed - by then you may be right and MS may well have dumped Windows 32 bit application support giving ReactOS its 32bit niche.

Until then it is a training ground and a passion for the ReactOS devs. For some users ReactOS may also be of some use to run and possibly develop 32bit apps. Note: 32 bit Windows apps will run on ReactOS and by then perhaps even 64 bit apps as 64bit support is making significant strides at the moment.
dave67

Post by dave67 »

I know it's a hard process to reverse engineer something that isn't open source. So I'm not complaining just thought it was worth mentioning. Since krita and Firefox are open source it can be made to run reactos as well. I noticed windows 11 requires more out of the computer then windows 10 does so I highly doubt it will get better in performance. Atleast for systems that been around 5 -10 years.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Hmmm, but what you 'noticed' and wanted to shout out was just plain incorrect, the implications you derived from your old news was just wrong. What is happening in the world of Windows is well known to people here as the dev team (not me) are building a compatible Windows o/s and so the chaps here will be informed and most likely be generally ahead of you.

If you ever have anything to say here, check your facts in advance and do some detailed investigation, do that and your shout-outs will be welcome.
dave67

Post by dave67 »

So I guess there's nothing to worry about for now.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Oh yes, there is plenty to worry about but not specifically that!

I always worry whether ReactOS will ever be completed. It is needed and I like many, need it soon.
dave67

Post by dave67 »

I do worry about that.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

For example everyone who has no TPM 2.0 in their PC and wants a Windows after 2025? ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dave67

Post by dave67 »

I don't think that's needed in all honesty just another road block that Microsoft has added. There's gonna be alot more computers in the landfill that's for sure.

Note I forgot to mention this I managed to get a nightly build of reactos to run on my dual pentium 3 setup recognized 3.45gb of ram too and my USB flash drive also detected. It crashed after I installed my ralink wifi driver.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, WIFI won't help you that much right now anyways. Unless you use WEP encryption. Did you try LAN?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...