Modern Windows Apps Are Ugly!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

bradleybrand

Modern Windows Apps Are Ugly!

Post by bradleybrand »

Is it just me, or do many Windows 10 apps just look ugly? So I load up my virtual machine of Windows 98 SE and head to the Address Book - looks fine to me, very handy. I load up People on Windows 10 - the app looks ugly. Windows scrapped Address Book, went to Contacts, then went to People (app).

Usually, I prefer vanilla defaults to third-party software. Despite not using Address Book on Windows 98, I can understand how this could have been very handy for the time - being linked to say Microsoft Outlook for e-mail. It was simple, served it's purpose. I feel today people are somewhat forced to use their Outlook accounts on their web browsers because apps just look ugly.

What are your thoughts? I just hate apps on Windows 10. Much preferring the old applications. But I don't think you can get a copy of Windows Address Book working on Windows 10, unless anyone can help.

I would love to restore old Windows applications onto Windows 10, removing the modern-day Windows apps.

Furthermore, relating to ReactOS, I am hoping that we see a return of old-school applications with their simplicity and excellent functionality.

What are your guys thoughts?
dizt3mp3r

Re: Modern Windows Apps Are Ugly!

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Well, that's one of the reasons for promoting the cause for ReactOS.

See this thread - viewtopic.php?p=123529#p123529
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

bradleybrand wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:00 pm Is it just me, or do many Windows 10 apps just look ugly? So I load up my virtual machine of Windows 98 SE and head to the Address Book - looks fine to me, very handy. I load up People on Windows 10 - the app looks ugly. Windows scrapped Address Book, went to Contacts, then went to People (app).

Usually, I prefer vanilla defaults to third-party software. Despite not using Address Book on Windows 98, I can understand how this could have been very handy for the time - being linked to say Microsoft Outlook for e-mail. It was simple, served it's purpose. I feel today people are somewhat forced to use their Outlook accounts on their web browsers because apps just look ugly.

What are your thoughts? I just hate apps on Windows 10. Much preferring the old applications. But I don't think you can get a copy of Windows Address Book working on Windows 10, unless anyone can help.

I would love to restore old Windows applications onto Windows 10, removing the modern-day Windows apps.

Furthermore, relating to ReactOS, I am hoping that we see a return of old-school applications with their simplicity and excellent functionality.

What are your guys thoughts?
Since you are asking for it, my views are more or less the exact opposite:
I like the 'new' (not so new, but yeah) Win10 apps,
and I think the win98 apps look like garbage.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

learn_more wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:14 pm I like the 'new' (not so new, but yeah) Win10 apps,
and I think the win98 apps look like garbage.
Well, that's great, so you have the choice to create or use the massive, bland, flat, large white space apps with an invisible scroll bar and a corporate character assigned by Microsoft, whereas ReactOS will not force us to have them by default and so the choice is returned to the user.

None of my apps look like a corporation has defined the interface - viewtopic.php?t=15837, this is individuality unsuppressed by a dead corporate hand, we should all be able to attain a look and feel that we ourselves desire.

If you wish your computer to sport the colours and shapes as defined by the Microsoft Corporation and those fashion statements also suit your character (goodness knows why?) then you are free to do so.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Jdynqq

Post by Jdynqq »

I really love wallpapers live, as I really like to change the wallpaper all the time on my desktop.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Well, jdynqq, if you are real and not a bot you can use a tool such as John's background switcher to change the background at any time.Whether that actually works on ReactOS is another thing entirely, you'd need to test. If you are looking for a more live experience than that, then do let us know what your requirements are. If it is the ability to display a web page on a live desktop then do pray, tell us more succinctly.
TomasBeru0LN

Post by TomasBeru0LN »

The design is not important. The key is ¿How good works this new apps? The performance is lower than the traditional software and are very "heavy" for the system. I don't like apps. I want real software!!
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi imho I do not like windows 10 / 11 apps I like the windows classic applications
theronmad

Post by theronmad »

Moreover, classic Windows is generally more friendly, if you can call it that in comparison with more modern versions of Windows.