Codes of Conduct discussion

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Re: Codes of Conduct discussion

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Our fridge used to have the word S M E G boldly and proudly written on the front door. For me, it always meant "Doctor Bollocks old knob cheese".
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Missingno50

Post by Missingno50 »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:14 pm Our fridge used to have the word S M E G boldly and proudly written on the front door. For me, it always meant "Doctor Bollocks old knob cheese".
I am ashamed to admit that I had no idea that was actually an expletive, and I always thought it was a typo of smug.
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."
Proud owner of one semi-modern ROS compatible computer. I hope to make an industry out of selling ROS compatibles the moment 0.5.0 releases.
minecraftchest1

Post by minecraftchest1 »

I will say, I am not against swear words. I don't use them personally (I have much better words in my vocabulary), but some people do. As long as people don't use them most of the time. I think that excessive use of these words should be banned, but not every occurrence.
My name is MinecraftChest1.
I am a Windows and Linux user.
I have broken reactos once.
That's my resume.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I am not fully against swear words, and I try to limit my use of them in ReactOS spaces. In other places such as Reddit, not so much.

I help moderate a subreddit for offensive jokes and am sharing some of the trends I see as they relate to the current topic. There are a lot of words we cannot allow if we don't want our sub banned by the admins. For instance, insults for intellectual disability are out. So we remove comments with "tard" and "retard" in them. The other active moderator there recently removed one that showed a person with Trisomy 21 Syndrome wearing a police uniform with the caption, "10-13, officer down." A 10-13 call is "Officer in need of assistance." In this image, they were referring to Down Syndrome, a person who is usually intellectually handicapped due to an extra 21st chromosome.

However, the environment of Reddit, in general, has gone overboard. We cannot joke about 42% (the trans suicide rate), or allow most things that start with "Despite." (Eg., "Despite being only 17% of the US population, [members of a certain community] are responsible for over 50% of all violent crimes.") Memes that include pictures of monkeys are usually deleted (due to racial comparisons). Most memes/jokes that are critical of the LGBTQ are removed. "Ouijas" (where different folks type different letters of a word) are removed when racial or anti-gay slurs are spelled, and I try to stop them before they get that far.

Thankfully, a lot of what I contend with while moderating does not apply here. For things to degrade to the above, we'd have to be very far off-topic. I see no case where we'd allow posts with only a single letter, and the site's code would likely stop that ("Your post must be a minimum of x characters."). Nobody here is just posting cartoons for the heck of it in the forum, though we do it some on Mattermost. I've cleaned up some flippant comments I've made in the wiki, such as, "I could care less if [those who want to help us] are Green!" I felt that didn't feel "professional" enough. Folks tend not to take you seriously when you start making up races of people. Plus our purpose is not to spread offensive content. You will find offensive jokes in forums for offensive jokes because that is the topic.

Now, one thing I was chastized for here was when I abbreviated "Oh my goodness!" as 3 letters and was accused of taking God's name in vain in a PM. I won't mention names there, though that is not hard to figure out. But I am not criticizing them because I think we need more who stand up for their deepest held values.