2020 expectations

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

kneekoo

2020 expectations

Post by kneekoo »

Hey, everyone! o/

Will you kindly consider writing a blog post about your 2020 plans and what seems plausible to be accomplished this year? That would be a great read and hopefully it will attract more support from everyone willing to lend a hand or even finances.

// I was just talking about ReactOS with a friend of mine, and I was making fun of him that he'd have to switch to Windows 10 in 2023, which is something he's not eager to do. But in 3 years ReactOS can shape up quite nicely if there are enough developers and all kinds of resources, including money, so give us some clues about what's on the horizon and how the community can support the developers. :)

Cheers! :D
dizt3mp3r

Re: 2020 expectations

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Don't forget the ReactOS team is fairly decentralised with chaps just working on those tasks that they can, those that interest them and those that they perceive as being resolvable within their skillset. They code to that approach and no-one pushes then in order to avoid potential burn-out. No-one is paid and therefore ReactOS is a community build with people contributing where they can. The community means you and I.

That all results in a lack of a concrete roadmap. I suggest you read the FAQ and see if it answers any more of your questions: https://reactos.org/wiki/ReactOS_FAQ
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
kneekoo

Post by kneekoo »

Thanks for your reply. As an OSS contributor myself I know how volunteering works, which is why I asked "what seems plausible to be accomplished this year?" Although there's no roadmap, a news item could still let everyone know where the focus is and where testing would do good. So even without promises of targets set in stone we can get some insight into what's new and what's going on.

So I'm not asking things out of personal curiosity, but I ask the ReactOS team to give the community a nudge with whatever info they have at hand, because there is progress that can be shared and it's a fun way to invite everyone to test stuff, help with translations, etc. :)
summerbright

Post by summerbright »

The latest version is probably the best. But again, the latest version is always the best!
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

summerbright wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:17 pm The latest version is probably the best. But again, the latest version is always the best!
The latest nightly build is the best. 8-)