Would Microsoft replace NT Kernel with Linux kernel?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Adcock
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:37 pm

Would Microsoft replace NT Kernel with Linux kernel?

Post by Adcock » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:25 pm

Do you guys think that Microsoft would replace NT Kernel with Linux Kernel in future versions of Windows to come?
Any possibility?

Thanatophobia
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Re: Would Microsoft replace NT Kernel with Linux kernel?

Post by Thanatophobia » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:08 pm

I don't thinks so. Otherwise, they have to release a GPL version of Windows without other proprietary stuff from their main version. And I don't think Microsoft is willing to completely open-source Windows 10 anytime soon.

irony
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Would Microsoft replace NT Kernel with Linux kernel?

Post by irony » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:58 pm

Adcock wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:25 pm
Do you guys think that Microsoft would replace NT Kernel with Linux Kernel in future versions of Windows to come?
Any possibility?
that would be the stupidest move in the industry of all the times. hard to say what everybody in MS should smoke and in what amount to make that decision. it would be something like replacing this (lamborghini diablo):
Image
with this (lada kalina - a wonder of russian automotive industry):
Image
:lol: :lol: :lol:
what is really interesting - why such silly ideas for threads have become a trend on this forum - what if MS opensourced Windows, what if they made linux into Windows, what if MS hired Stallman as a CEO? why? why people think it's a cool idea to create such nonsensical, wasteful threads? not everyone here is skilled enough to help with the kernel development, but hey, if you are so full of enthusiasm, there is still a lot of stuff you could help the project with, maybe it's better to go do that instead of generating this freaking nonsensical BS? translations maybe? no? site, wiki, activism, a constructive one, design? icons, I don't know - anything. except these crazy talks.

ROCKNROLLKID
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:19 am
Contact:

Re: Would Microsoft replace NT Kernel with Linux kernel?

Post by ROCKNROLLKID » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:37 pm

irony wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:58 pm
Adcock wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:25 pm
Do you guys think that Microsoft would replace NT Kernel with Linux Kernel in future versions of Windows to come?
Any possibility?
that would be the stupidest move in the industry of all the times. hard to say what everybody in MS should smoke and in what amount to make that decision. it would be something like replacing this (lamborghini diablo):
Image
with this (lada kalina - a wonder of russian automotive industry):
Image
:lol: :lol: :lol:
what is really interesting - why such silly ideas for threads have become a trend on this forum - what if MS opensourced Windows, what if they made linux into Windows, what if MS hired Stallman as a CEO? why? why people think it's a cool idea to create such nonsensical, wasteful threads? not everyone here is skilled enough to help with the kernel development, but hey, if you are so full of enthusiasm, there is still a lot of stuff you could help the project with, maybe it's better to go do that instead of generating this freaking nonsensical BS? translations maybe? no? site, wiki, activism, a constructive one, design? icons, I don't know - anything. except these crazy talks.
You realize you contradicted yourself, by contributing time to actually contribute to this and I bet you took time to actually find those pictures, too, but then underneath say that it is "nonsensical and wasteful". It is not uncommon for forums to wonder what life would be like if it happened differently, it's why there is a off-topic section to begin with.

Also, what have you contributed to ReactOS?

Thanatophobia
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Re: Would Microsoft replace NT Kernel with Linux kernel?

Post by Thanatophobia » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:49 pm

Bryan Lunduke made a video explaining this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S27_WyQKQdQ

Thanatophobia
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Re: Would Microsoft replace NT Kernel with Linux kernel?

Post by Thanatophobia » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:56 pm

irony wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:58 pm
that would be the stupidest move in the industry of all the times. hard to say what everybody in MS should smoke and in what amount to make that decision. it would be something like replacing this (lamborghini diablo):
Image
with this (lada kalina - a wonder of russian automotive industry):
Image
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I agree with you in that it would be a bad move on Microsoft's part. I'm not trying to that Linux is a bad system, but given how Windows is structured with its NT architecture and how everything is kinda tangled, they would have to reconstruct the OS, and also it would be impossible to completely open-source windows because of proprietary components from other companies included in there.
irony wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:58 pm
not everyone here is skilled enough to help with the kernel development, but hey, if you are so full of enthusiasm, there is still a lot of stuff you could help the project with, maybe it's better to go do that instead of generating this freaking nonsensical BS? translations maybe? no? site, wiki, activism, a constructive one, design? icons, I don't know - anything. except these crazy talks.
If no one has the skills, how can we directly help the project?

irony
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Would Microsoft replace NT Kernel with Linux kernel?

Post by irony » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:14 am

No, it wasn't contradictive. It took me 1 minute to find those pics. The goal was to lower chances for such needless threads to appear in future - a good thing for sure. they are demotivating. you really don't want to get involved when seeing so much of moronic stuff going on. off-topic is not an excuse for bullshit.
Also, what have you contributed to ReactOS?
why are you asking this? you say, writing nonsense is free and welcome but yet asking me a question you shouldn't ask anyone in response of criticism to that writing. "how dare you?" :lol: I won't reply to this even if I do very c00l k3rn4l stuff to ROS. because you can only ask yourself such questions, got it?

irony
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Would Microsoft replace NT Kernel with Linux kernel?

Post by irony » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:50 am

Bryan Lunduke made a video explaining this:
these linux fans... thanks god, this annoying guy got removed quickly from the recommended list by clicking "not interesting". the explanation sucks. sucks as everything related to GNU/religion. he repeats it would be cool, and even that it will happen, he talks as it is inevitable (gosh, *facepalm) but doesn't say why it would be cool nor he explains what exactly "cool" is in adoption of the "open" kernel. he, seems, has believed in the FSF religion so blindly, that takes it as is - it's benefit per se, without any real expalanation. what I heard, is it would be cool because a bunch of linux drooling pricks would get an ecstasy of it. yay. so well explained. and so justified.

not wondering, that nobody produces such speculations in mirror so to say, towards the linux realm, because just nobody else is suffering from such insecurity and inferiority complex as linux fanboys are and let's be honest - nobody cares about those 1d10t5. but as we already are on this page, I'd seriously recommend them to exchange linux kernel for something better, let's say - Darwin. ah, anything will be better than linux. let them think of this, not about MS exchanging NT for linux. :D

I tell why MS won't exchange NT for linux. because NT is better. it the first and foremost. then because they own its standard. and because MS is not composed of crazy. that's all of the story. everything what is left - for wet Bryan Lunduke panties and for places like Moronics site, where such types are collected in insane concentrations. :lol:
If no one has the skills, how can we directly help the project?
read the wiki, it answers.

Thanatophobia
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Re: Would Microsoft replace NT Kernel with Linux kernel?

Post by Thanatophobia » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:04 am

irony wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:50 am
these linux fans... thanks god, this annoying guy got removed quickly from the recommended list by clicking "not interesting". the explanation sucks. sucks as everything related to GNU/religion. he repeats it would be cool, and even that it will happen, he talks as it is inevitable (gosh, *facepalm) but doesn't say why it would be cool nor he explains what exactly "cool" is in adoption of the "open" kernel. he, seems, has believed in the FSF religion so blindly, that takes it as is - it's benefit per se, without any real expalanation. what I heard, is it would be cool because a bunch of linux drooling pricks would get an ecstasy of it. yay. so well explained. and so justified.

I tell why MS won't exchange NT for linux. because NT is better. it the first and foremost. then because they own its standard. and because MS is not composed of crazy. that's all of the story. everything what is left - for wet Bryan Lunduke panties and for places like Moronics site, where such types are collected in insane concentrations. :lol:
What's funny is that Lunduke was once an employee of Microsoft back in the '90s and early 2000s, mainly porting Microsoft products like Office for other systems such as Mac OS and Solaris. But yeah, I guess he's trying to appease to Linux fanboys since they are his biggest audience.
a wonder of russian automotive industry
Yep, that's ReactOS.

irony
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Would Microsoft replace NT Kernel with Linux kernel?

Post by irony » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:00 am

Yep, that's ReactOS.
I follow ReactOS, Haiku and I honestly believe they are better than linux. of course, they have a lot of missing parts, they don't have even a 0.01% of workforce linux has, so they are incomparable with it by the readiness criterion. but unlike linux, they are based on something better, than linux is. linux is a messy unix clone, poorly implemented, in a "hacky" way, without personality, ideas, innovations etc, the whole linux charisma ends on that stoned looking penguin. but they have arrogant developers thinking of themselves too high, and moronic and aggressive (in majority) plankton fanbase, able to only produce hatred and stupidity on the internet and questions to Lunduke about linux conquering the galaxy. whereas both ReactOS and Haiku have their roots at the much better designed system architectures, and their communities are much more humble, so far at least. funny, even being at these babystep stages I often notice how both OSs run more efficiently than that hog, I mean CPU consumption - high CPU consumption is one of the main reasons I hate linux, - it shows how inefficient it is. as much as its developers are arrogant as much their creature is inefficient. often ReactOS and Haiku beat it. and this is satisfaction. I believe, the lack of developers for ReactOS is a bad luck, just as for BSDs - they were better than linux, but it didn't help. it's just an unfortunate coincidence. so attracting more attention from ones able to code and bring up missing things is a key to success. the question is how. but ReactOS has a very hard to achieve, yet very strong point in this competition, - binary compatibility with the most used OS in the world. should it get more polished, it could blow linux away from desktop forever. because all the opensource lovers, still willing to conveniently use their PCs, would jump in ReactOS immediately. ReactOS is not a "Windows replacement", in its optimistic future, it is the absolute linux throwaway from desktop. and, possibly, from many other segments, but the desktop in the first place.

Thanatophobia
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Re: Would Microsoft replace NT Kernel with Linux kernel?

Post by Thanatophobia » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:22 am

irony wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:00 am
I follow ReactOS, Haiku and I honestly believe they are better than linux. of course, they have a lot of missing parts, they don't have even a 0.01% of workforce linux has, so they are incomparable with it by the readiness criterion. but unlike linux, they are based on something better, than linux is. linux is a messy unix clone, poorly implemented, in a "hacky" way, without personality, ideas, innovations etc, the whole linux charisma ends on that stoned looking penguin. but they have arrogant developers thinking of themselves too high, and moronic and aggressive (in majority) plankton fanbase, able to only produce hatred and stupidity on the internet and questions to Lunduke about linux conquering the galaxy. whereas both ReactOS and Haiku have their roots at the much better designed system architectures, and their communities are much more humble, so far at least. funny, even being at these babystep stages I often notice how both OSs run more efficiently than that hog, I mean CPU consumption - high CPU consumption is one of the main reasons I hate linux, - it shows how inefficient it is. as much as its developers are arrogant as much their creature is inefficient. often ReactOS and Haiku beat it. and this is satisfaction. I believe, the lack of developers for ReactOS is a bad luck, just as for BSDs - they were better than linux, but it didn't help. it's just an unfortunate coincidence. so attracting more attention from ones able to code and bring up missing things is a key to success. the question is how. but ReactOS has a very hard to achieve, yet very strong point in this competition, - binary compatibility with the most used OS in the world. should it get more polished, it could blow linux away from desktop forever. because all the opensource lovers, still willing to conveniently use their PCs, would jump ReactOS immediately. ReactOS is not a "Windows replacement", in its optimistic future, it is the absolute linux throwaway from desktop. and, possibly, from many other segments, but the desktop in the first place.
I see your point. I'm not a big Linux user (I'm writing this using Windows 10) and I also do follow ReactOS and hope that one day it can be a functional OS.

But with Linux, yeah it has more developers and given that it has been developed since the early 90s has come a long way and it's still active and improving with new features. Both ReactOS and Haiku are pretty much based on dated systems from the early 2000s that haven't kept up to modern standards.

And I said that comment because ReactOS is just another Russian clone, just like PTS/DOS and the Dubna 48k

irony
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Would Microsoft replace NT Kernel with Linux kernel?

Post by irony » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:18 pm

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:37 pm
Also, what have you contributed to ReactOS?
by the way, wanna help me to contribute to ROS? donate (or just lease) to me Pinebook Pro and I'll try to bring ROS on it up (it's 64 bit ARM). it's 200$. ;) :lol:

binarymaster
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:05 pm
Location: Russia, Moscow
Contact:

Re: Would Microsoft replace NT Kernel with Linux kernel?

Post by binarymaster » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:00 am

irony wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:18 pm
ROCKNROLLKID wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:37 pm
Also, what have you contributed to ReactOS?
by the way, wanna help me to contribute to ROS? donate (or just lease) to me Pinebook Pro and I'll try to bring ROS on it up (it's 64 bit ARM). it's 200$. ;) :lol:
Raspberry Pi 3 would be cheaper, and it's 64-bit ARM too. ;)

Although Pinebook Pro is more powerful machine.

irony
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Would Microsoft replace NT Kernel with Linux kernel?

Post by irony » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:11 am

RPi is POS. and I don't mean Point Of Sale. :lol:
1) it's barely usable as a desktop
2) its documentation is near to non-existent
3) it's not even an ARM machine, it's a VideoCore machine with an ARM CPU attached as a toy controller (ARM for example doesn't have access to many peripherals and doesn't own the system address space, there is addition mapping between the ARM view and the real system space, owned by VC). this is not just "philosophical" inconveniencies, this awkward design makes it a very bad candidate for the architetcure bringup, because all these VC<->ARM shufflings, needed to get things working, doesn't make sense for anything else, the code would be much harder to adapt for other ARM boards.
4) has overheating issues

Pinebook Pro is a fully featured laptop on the other hand. being really an ARM computer. the manual for its SoC is available. the latter is very important for adding support to it.

Of course, I was kidding about donating it to me, I am not "eligible" for this, just thought it would be a nice response to ROCKNROLLKID's impudence, :lol: but I think it's a good idea for the ReactOS foundation overall (to consider) - to lease a couple of such devices for candidates, claimed and proved their interest and eligibility respectively - it might attract potential "ninjas". there should be ideas anyway for it to evolve. and a couple of these laptops won't be awfully unaffordable to allocate resources for for the foundation. the latter is a pure guess, of course.

ROCKNROLLKID
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:19 am
Contact:

Re: Would Microsoft replace NT Kernel with Linux kernel?

Post by ROCKNROLLKID » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:52 am

irony wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:18 pm
ROCKNROLLKID wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:37 pm
Also, what have you contributed to ReactOS?
by the way, wanna help me to contribute to ROS? donate (or just lease) to me Pinebook Pro and I'll try to bring ROS on it up (it's 64 bit ARM). it's 200$. ;) :lol:
It is a nice cheap laptop, probably enough to run ReactOS. I just run it through a VM to test stuff, but I would like to run ReactOS on real hardware.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests