Windows 10 now hides local account option

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

erkinalp

Windows 10 now hides local account option

Post by erkinalp »

Windows 10 now hides the option to create a local account if there is a network connection.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
learn_more
Developer

Re: Windows 10 now hides local account option

Post by learn_more »

Great feature, let's see if we can implement that in ReactOS as well.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I install Win10 on a daily basis at work. It's NOT hidden, you just have to click the text left to the button to NOT use a MS account. Or... you remove all LAN connections of course.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

learn_more wrote:Great feature, let's see if we can implement that in ReactOS as well.
What would we use as the online account provider? reactos.org accounts?
EmuandCo wrote:you just have to click the text left to the button to NOT use a MS account.
This started in R1909, so you might not have encountered it yet.
This is from Reddit:
fatherjetson wrote:Flashed with the Download Tool today, and that option was gone at the login screen. Clicked create account, but neither found it there. :(
Although, some say there is a workaround: leave the password blank; this will cause a local account to be created as passwords are compulsory for microsoft.com accounts:
scsibusfault wrote:Pro tip, to avoid this- don't enter a password during setup. No password, no security question bullshit. Set one through computer management once you're logged in and it doesn't throw the hint or the recovery prompts.
This workaround may not last for long, though.

Some say the option has been just renamed:
Kuinox wrote:They didn't removed it. The title is misleading, The button is still there, but they renamed the button. It's under "Domain Join Instead" https://i.imgur.com/tA9fo1R.png And there you can create an offline account: https://i.imgur.com/eBLi5cv.png
Last edited by erkinalp on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

That is ridiculous and my Win10 hate levels just rose from 10 to ... 11.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

German news regarding that fake news: https://www.drwindows.de/news/windows-1 ... -in-aktion
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Well if it isn't true completely, then it is still true, trying to add a local user used to be as easy as following the "add a user" link. It isn't any more.

[ external image ]

I am no longer self-mutilating.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

English (American?) news re: that news making it appear valid.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-1 ... tion-gone/
ImperialSpectre

Post by ImperialSpectre »

Just for the record this feature can be re-enabled if you unplug the ethernet cable or remove the Wi-Fi dongles then the offline local account creation would show as normal.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

ImperialSpectre wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:48 pm Just for the record this feature can be re-enabled if you unplug the ethernet cable or remove the Wi-Fi dongles then the offline local account creation would show as normal.
Made the same think at work, and before reconnect I disable Local Update and put the flow of update to 5%, because without that the Update take all the traffic on WAN and LAN.
Lewis-H

Post by Lewis-H »

To switch to a local account from a Microsoft account on Windows 10, use these steps:
Open Settings.
Click on Accounts.
Click on Your info.
Click the Sign in with a local account instead of option.
Type your current Microsoft account password.
Click the Next button.
Type a new name for your account.
Create a new password.
Try this method instead it might help!
Regards,
Lewis
Jah-On

Post by Jah-On »

I noticed that too. What I ended up doing is downloading the educator's edition, which is the same, but has the "Create Offline Account" button.
Lewis-H

Post by Lewis-H »

Have you tried these steps?
Open Settings.
Click on Accounts.
Click on Your info.
Click the Sign in with a local account instead of an option.
Type your current Microsoft account password.
Click the Next button.
Type a new name for your account.
Create a new password.
I hope this helps!
Regards,
Lewis