React OS = Linux?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

havig4u

React OS = Linux?

Post by havig4u » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:44 am

Hi

Am a fresh newbie here and interested in react......but what is it based on?

Is it a kind of Linux or...........

st

Post by st » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:58 am

No. It is based on its own WinNT-like kernel written from scratch.

GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:26 am

Welcome havig4u.
A must read for newbies,
http://www.reactos.org/xhtml/en/about_userfaq.html

havig4u

ok..tnx

Post by havig4u » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:26 am

So its more like XP then Linus.............

If I understand i correct its a bit tricky to install programs in Linux.....its not as easy as in windows were you just double click the exe file.......

But what about the "react"? Installation is it the ".exe" style?

I´ve been reading about the Microsoft license deal....it seems that there is an update to the license.
If you bought an computer with OEM XP or build it youself with OEM XP you are not allowed to switch Motherboard......then you need to buy a new OEM license........this suck!!!! I presumme that the XP will not validate and youre cut off.........

Any comments?

Thats why am looking at other OS solutions........as linus or React.
React seems to be the most interesting......am only a few days into the learning process.......

w3seek
Developer

Post by w3seek » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:33 am

Good luck using ReactOS in a production environment...

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:26 pm

Its called ReactOS

Its based on a completely from scratch written NT-Like Kernel.

Its still Alpha and not recommended for everyday use.

ThePhysicist
Developer

Re: ok..tnx

Post by ThePhysicist » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:30 am

havig4u wrote:So its more like XP then Linus.............
I would say it's more like Windows but with the freedom of Linux.

havig4u wrote:But what about the "react"? Installation is it the ".exe" style?
It is exactly like windows. If something runs on Windows it should run on ReactOS in the same way, but not yet. At the moment most applications don't work correctly.
havig4u wrote:I´ve been reading about the Microsoft license deal....it seems that there is an update to the license.
If you bought an computer with OEM XP or build it youself with OEM XP you are not allowed to switch Motherboard......then you need to buy a new OEM license........this suck!!!! I presumme that the XP will not validate and youre cut off.........
No, that is not true. Yes, you will need a new activiation key for the online activation, but you don't have to buy a new license. You just have to make a call to MS and you will get a new activation key.

havig4u wrote:Thats why am looking at other OS solutions........as linus or React.
React seems to be the most interesting......am only a few days into the learning process.......
ReactOS is still Alpha and not really usable at the moment. It only supports FAT32, it crashes pretty often, a lot of applications don't work (although somebody just got IE7 to run ;-)) and driver support is still very basic.
If you are looking for an OS to put on a second (or 3rd, whatever) PC just for browsing the internet, playing music and writing emails, not for your important work, then ReactOS might be good enough in the near future, but not yet. Maybe in less than a year.
But you can see for yourself. You can download the livecd iso (daily/nightly build very recommanded over v0.2.9), burn it and boot it. Then you will get a first impression what ReactOS is like.
If you like it, tell all your friends about it.

drwook

Post by drwook » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:30 pm

Actually I believe the Vista licence is going to be 'tied' to the motherboard & technically you'd breach it by upgrading your mobo without buying a fresh licence (presuming you use it anyway ;) )

http://www.theregister.com/2006/02/17/m ... m_shocker/

[edit] ok just actually read the document, they seem to believe it applies to existing OEM licences too [/edit]

wonko

Re: ok..tnx

Post by wonko » Sun May 21, 2006 2:33 pm

havig4u wrote:If I understand i correct its a bit tricky to install programs in Linux.....its not as easy as in windows were you just double click the exe file.......
you might be wrong. it's way more easy to install linux programs... you just have to use a prgram called apt. you can simply tell apt what program you would like to install and it tells you wich cd you have to insert or it's just downloading it from some server on the internet and installs it with you having nothing to do meanwhile. moreover, if you install a program which is in need of some other programs apt is just going to install those. And the best thing is: apt is able to update your system with all programs on it. You could tell apt to check for updates each day and that's it. you don't even have to pay for anything.

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf » Sun May 21, 2006 8:33 pm

hi
sorey to disappoint you but ie7 does not work in ReactOS SVN_0.3

Coviti

Post by Coviti » Mon May 22, 2006 2:40 am

Yes, we know. I can't get any versions of IE working in ReactOS, or should I say, react. ;)

Ferret-Simpson

Post by Ferret-Simpson » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:04 pm

MadWolf wrote:hi
sorey to disappoint you but ie7 does not work in ReactOS SVN_0.3
This may be a stupid question, but why would you WANT to? XP

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:21 pm

Certain websites make use of IE specific features, and certain companies use such websites in their businesses. Thus they would need IE on their computers.

Ferret-Simpson

Post by Ferret-Simpson » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:58 pm

Damn, I was hoping no one could think of a good reason. So It's basically a case of either Anal companies, or Microsoft bribery. . ?

counting_pine

Post by counting_pine » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:51 pm

If it could run Internet Explorer, it would be a great demonstration of what ReactOS is capable of.