Virtualization Question

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Thar

Virtualization Question

Post by Thar »

I'm finding I want to / need to boot into Windows 2k less and less, but I do still keep a dual boot machine.

My question is this: Is there a way to use virtualization technology to run a windows app, using the windows kernel etc., while the rest of the system is still in Linux, but have the windows app just function like a window on my X desktop? I'd prefer not to have all of Windows, desktop and all, in the window, but rather, just the app. This may not be possible, but I figured it was worth asking.

Alternatively, if I had one PC running windows, could I use that, over a network, to display apps to a different PC in a window?
Reactions

Re: Virtualization Question

Post by Reactions »

I think you're asking for a compatibility layer. Wine is an open-source compatibility layer for Linux and Mac OS. It supports Windows 7 and older based programs. Here's a link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... SDlvUPEhXG
Please support/share my Patreon! Helps so much! https://www.patreon.com/reactions
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

For Windows-to-Windows connections, Remote Desktop supports what you're asking using a feature called RemoteApp. You can see if that feature is supported by some Linux clients (Google comes up with at least SeamlessRDP, which sounds like what you're looking for... I didn't look into it though).
If your app works in Wine, that is indeed a nice option of course.
Lewis-H

Post by Lewis-H »

For virtualization, I would suggest using Azure windows virtual desktop will be helpful!
Regards,
Lewis
ragarlev

Post by ragarlev »

This means that if configured correctly, it will work on Linux. I'm right?
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

ragarlev wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:51 am This means that if configured correctly, it will work on Linux. I'm right?
What is the "it" in this case? RemoteApp?