Hey newbie with a quick question.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

KainKelly

Hey newbie with a quick question.

Post by KainKelly »

Hi I am Kain Kelly,

I study cyber security at technical school (TSTC) but started teaching my self to code, hack, and build hardware at age eleven from YouTube videos, fourms, the darknet, and good old fashion trial and error. Even with almost ten years of experience I still am not "that" great.

I started writing scripts for Roblox, then Java, dabbled in C and C++ then I got serious and dove head first into assembly. (Not my smartest move.) That said I enjoyed it I find it very elegant. Like I said not some super coder but I can power through it, I have learned the hard way the value of goal setting.

After all that said, I have not had time to look over the source code do to school. However I was wondering if I could look over someone's shoulder to contribute and learn if possible.

Sincerely,
Kain Kelly

~A wise man will walk into a library with respect. A respect for everything he doesn't know.
gonzoMD

Re: Hey newbie with a quick question.

Post by gonzoMD »

Welcome at first.

The best way to take a look over someone's shoulder is to follow git history, take a look at pull requests and JIRA issues with patches attached. Then you should enter #reactos or #reactos-dev in freenode IRC network, where you can ask questions about the changes or the code you are interested in, in general. Most of the devs hang around there.

Hope you find something interesting and start to contribute.

Happy hacking.
KainKelly

Post by KainKelly »

Thank you for your welcome, I am hoping to develop something similar to Kali but less intense on hard ware in the end. I have always wanted to develop my own tools.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

KainKelly wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:36 pm Thank you for your welcome, I am hoping to develop something similar to Kali but less intense on hard ware in the end. I have always wanted to develop my own tools.
But be aware that ReactOS is not a Linux distribution but an NT compatible operating system, written from scratch.
KainKelly

Post by KainKelly »

gonzoMD wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:24 am
KainKelly wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:36 pm Thank you for your welcome, I am hoping to develop something similar to Kali but less intense on hard ware in the end. I have always wanted to develop my own tools.
But be aware that ReactOS is not a Linux distribution but an NT compatible operating system, written from scratch.
Yes that is part of what motivates me, I hope by adding in my 2cents and in development of my own tools, I can learn more about how the ones and zeros actually work in the end. Trying to blur the line between knowing and understanding, if that makes sense.
herrybraun

Post by herrybraun »

I am a newbie and happy to help you with coding of all types.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

herrybraun wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:34 pm I am a newbie and happy to help you with coding of all types.
Please write new ReactOS audio stack with WASAPI :D
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

I just see Druaga1 suffering trying to do this.
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC