ReactOS updater

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

erkinalp

Re: ReactOS updater

Post by erkinalp »

I don't know if Windows Update is the only thing that needs BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service).
ReactOS and Windows updaters are not required to be compatible, as you are not allowed to pick and choose parts to mix and match.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

And it is not even an option at this point. Even if the updaters were compatible, and even if ROS could accept their upgrades, XP and 2003 support are long gone.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Microsoft, unlike Intel, keeps available the downloads of unsupported updates around for a long time.
Last edited by erkinalp on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

PurpleGurl wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:29 pm And it is not even an option at this point. Even if the updaters were compatible, and even if ROS could accept their upgrades, XP and 2003 support are long gone.
Yes, but if there is a server for update of ReactOS, it would be very good.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

shunesburg wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:32 pm Yes, but if there is a server for update of ReactOS, it would be very good.
So you mean like remote updates across an entire local network? Yes, that would be great in an enterprise environment.

And my earlier comment about BITS was concerning 3rd-party software that uses it. I am pretty sure that the updater isn't the only thing that uses that service. So it likely should be present and similar to how Windows does it, whether we use it as part of our updater or not.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

PurpleGurl wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:20 am
shunesburg wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:32 pm Yes, but if there is a server for update of ReactOS, it would be very good.
So you mean like remote updates across an entire local network? Yes, that would be great in an enterprise environment.

And my earlier comment about BITS was concerning 3rd-party software that uses it. I am pretty sure that the updater isn't the only thing that uses that service. So it likely should be present and similar to how Windows does it, whether we use it as part of our updater or not.
No, I mean a real "ReactOS Update" with access to a server of ReactOS to download the packages for update/upgrade/driver like Windows. But a kind of WSUS for ReactOS will be great too.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yeah, I think I misread the first part of your sentence. Right now, we just have the downloads. That's why I suggested my older idea. If you had a program to examine the ISOs and pull out what changed and then register the necessary files, that would work for now. But yeah, it would be interesting if there was an upgrade server to get packages from.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

PurpleGurl wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:52 am Yeah, I think I misread the first part of your sentence.
It's nothing, and maybe it's because of me. I'm not English native and sometimes I use a word for another, or use unusual syntax.
minecraftchest1

Post by minecraftchest1 »

If all of the update packages are packaged into a compressed (zip) folder, we could have the updater download them, extract them to a folder, then on next boot, the files could be them moved or copied to the appropriate folders. If we need rollback, we could could create a backup of all the folders to be modified, compress, and stored in a system restore area.
The only problem then would be packaging the updates, although that shouldn't be to hard. Just a slight modification to the release build script that would copy every package to a directory after it is built. Then we just need to compress it, version it, and make it available for download.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

minecraftchest1 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:42 pm If all of the update packages are packaged into a compressed (zip) folder, we could have the updater download them, extract them to a folder, then on next boot, the files could be them moved or copied to the appropriate folders. If we need rollback, we could could create a backup of all the folders to be modified, compress, and stored in a system restore area.
The only problem then would be packaging the updates, although that shouldn't be to hard. Just a slight modification to the release build script that would copy every package to a directory after it is built. Then we just need to compress it, version it, and make it available for download.
thanks for volunteering.