Wayland gives ReactOS new life?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

irony

Re: Wayland gives ReactOS new life?

Post by irony »

somehow, people commenting on this thread miss the OP point, despite purplegirl and others reminded about it. the author meant, that because of his dissatisfaction with wayland, he wants to take a look at ReactOS and also he projects his feelings on other linux users, potential ROS users. this is what I was talking about - that crowd of penguins is just sitting and waiting to jump into the ROS bandwagon. the latter just needs to move a little. :D the lines quoted below show it well:
I am a long time linux user and am getting disgusted with wayland and the changing desktop environment. No longer supporting remote connections or screen capturing without going through the desktop. ...
I still use linux as a server and use it all the time but as my desktop I'm finding it less and less usable and thinking I should take another look at ReactOS.
So, the thread is not about running wayland on ROS.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I know. I forgot to make that more clear. I wanted to shut this discussion down with my reply ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Lewis-H

Post by Lewis-H »

ReactOS will still be unstable but some of what you want to do may eventually work with Wayland coming in!

--
Lewis
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Wayland on ReactOS might be usable after ENIW, to run native Linux GUI applications.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
cb88

Post by cb88 »

EmuandCo wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:54 am I know. I forgot to make that more clear. I wanted to shut this discussion down with my reply ^^
Still being insufferable I see. This is an OT thread... you shouldn't be just going around "shutting it down" good grief man give it a rest.

Anyway most of the OPs original points about wayland are wrong anyway ... Wayland will eventually allow better remoting support than X ever did but some things regress before they get better it took X many years to get to where it was. If anything wayland is making Linux's GUI stack more windows like (and window does support remoting even individual applications just like X granted it's a bit clunky)

It would be neat to see ReactOS support something like that where you could run individual applications remotely ala RemoteApp... it wouldn't be too much use without SMP support in ReactOS though.

The beginnings of SSH forwarding for wayland https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mstoeckl/waypipe/
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

cb88 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:50 am
EmuandCo wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:54 am I know. I forgot to make that more clear. I wanted to shut this discussion down with my reply ^^
Still being insufferable I see. This is an OT thread... you shouldn't be just going around "shutting it down" good grief man give it a rest.

Anyway most of the OPs original points about wayland are wrong anyway ... Wayland will eventually allow better remoting support than X ever did but some things regress before they get better it took X many years to get to where it was. If anything wayland is making Linux's GUI stack more windows like (and window does support remoting even individual applications just like X granted it's a bit clunky)

It would be neat to see ReactOS support something like that where you could run individual applications remotely ala RemoteApp... it wouldn't be too much use without SMP support in ReactOS though.

The beginnings of SSH forwarding for wayland https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mstoeckl/waypipe/
Yes, still doing my job, as you can see. If you have a problem with that. You know where the door is. And watch your tongue before I really start to become insufferable!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
wojabuk

Post by wojabuk »

In my opinion, Wayland in ReactOS makes sense due to the possibility of using Linux graphical shells or Wayland remote desktop, but I don't know if it will give more profit or problems.