Wayland gives ReactOS new life?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

jeff.sadowski

Wayland gives ReactOS new life?

Post by jeff.sadowski »

I am a long time linux user and am getting disgusted with wayland and the changing desktop environment. No longer supporting remote connections or screen capturing without going through the desktop. I still use linux as a server and use it all the time but as my desktop I'm finding it less and less usable and thinking I should take another look at ReactOS. ReactOS has a good chance to really take off as windows users are finding windows harder to use and linux will have a transition period as wayland takes over the desktop. I'm curious if wayland has had more people checking out ReactOS?
erkinalp

Re: Wayland gives ReactOS new life?

Post by erkinalp »

A ReactOS fork may make use of it, but standard build uses ReactOS Explorer as its GUI.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

erkinalp wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:29 pm A ReactOS fork may make use of it, but standard build uses ReactOS Explorer as its GUI.
I think what he's trying to say is that as more people dislike newer Linux distros because of their GUI, more might try ROS. So ruining a non-Windows alternative to Windows might drive more to want to try an open source implementation of Windows.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Thanatophobia

Post by Thanatophobia »

Sorry if this thread is a bit old, but isn't Wayland supposed to be a replacement for the X windowing system?
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

Thanatophobia wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:54 pm Sorry if this thread is a bit old, but isn't Wayland supposed to be a replacement for the X windowing system?
yes but the last time I looked into Wayland I do not think it is ready to replace X windowing system yet
Thanatophobia

Post by Thanatophobia »

MadWolf wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:56 am yes but the last time I looked into Wayland I do not think it is ready to replace X windowing system yet
Also, what does X and Wayland have to do with ReactOS in Windows if those graphical systems if designed for *NIX? I know you can run an X server on Windows and run applications there, but it doesn't need it since the GUI on Windows is tightly integrated into the OS.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

Thanatophobia wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:21 am Also, what does X and Wayland have to do with ReactOS or Windows if those graphical systems were designed for *NIX?
They have nothing. Just read the first post, the idea is described there — people who encounter problems with Wayland may want to take a look at ReactOS (because it's open source as Linux) which doesn't have these problems (but have other ones). :lol:
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

I don't understand all this thread, Wayland is for Linux and ReactOS has no link with it. ReactOS use its own GUI based on ReactOS Explorer.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Me neither, but... If I close all threads I cant see the reason behind, it would be quite silent in here ^^ So feel free to go on.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Thanatophobia

Post by Thanatophobia »

shunesburg wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:43 pm I don't understand all this thread, Wayland is for Linux and ReactOS has no link with it. ReactOS use its own GUI based on ReactOS Explorer.
I mean, is it possible to build ReactOS with just a command-line and run an X server and desktop environment on top of it?
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

jeff.sadowski wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:52 pm I'm curious if wayland has had more people checking out ReactOS?
I do not think so any user of a Linux distro that has swithe from x to Wayland will not be interested in ReactOS thay will look for a different distro or install x and remove Wayland
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

Thanatophobia wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:06 am
shunesburg wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:43 pm I don't understand all this thread, Wayland is for Linux and ReactOS has no link with it. ReactOS use its own GUI based on ReactOS Explorer.
I mean, is it possible to build ReactOS with just a command-line and run an X server and desktop environment on top of it?
For that you use an Wayland Linux Distribution and install Wine on it.
Thanatophobia

Post by Thanatophobia »

shunesburg wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:43 pm For that you use an Wayland Linux Distribution and install Wine on it.
Or use Cygwin/X or MSYS2, (or a WSL distro like Ubuntu for Windows) and run an X server and graphical application on WIndows.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

We aim to provide a WINDOWS architecture based OS here. aka we write a NT arch based system. This means we have win32k and the interfaces needed for the drivers + some fun stuff in several dlls like gdi32 etcetc. Same as Windows does and this for a reason, WINDOWS COMPATIBILITY. If someone wants to build a chimera by adding a GUI system based on a ugly hack for GFX on Unixoid systems but then cleaned up and renamed... feel free to, but we will NOT do that.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...