Research survey: Impact of Microsoft Acquisition of GitHub

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

natnareeAsavaseri

Research survey: Impact of Microsoft Acquisition of GitHub

Post by natnareeAsavaseri »

Dear contributors,

I am Natnaree Asavaseri and currently undertaking a research internship at Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Japan. As a part of my research, I am analyzing the impact of Microsoft's acquisition of GitHub.

I would like to conduct a survey to understand how developers perceive the Microsoft's acquisition of GitHub, especially from contributors to Linux distributions and BSD families. So please consider voicing your opinion by allowing us up to 5 minutes to complete our short survey. 

https://goo.gl/forms/lbIL5qsinDRQyTaK2

We would like to remind you that participation in this survey is completely voluntary and your identity is hidden for anonymity. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Natnaree
Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Japan
ThFabba
Developer

Re: Research survey: Impact of Microsoft Acquisition of GitH

Post by ThFabba »

Are you sure we're part of the target audience? The survey description seems to say otherwise:
We target contributors of the Linux kernel and its distributions as well as BSD families to gauge your opinion on this acquisition.
ReactOS is neither Linux nor BSD, nor in any way related other than being an OS and being open source.
middings

Post by middings »

I am suspicious because the survey web page is not located at naist.jp (Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Japan) or any of its subdomains.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

middings wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:07 am I am suspicious because the survey web page is not located at naist.jp (Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Japan) or any of its subdomains.
It's normal practice to use Google Forms for such things as pools.
Fraizeraust

Re: Research survey: Impact of Microsoft Acquisition of GitHub

Post by Fraizeraust »

What's the point of this survey when it only applies to projects like BSD and Linux? That disqualifies every open source project that's not Linux/BSD.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yes, just the usual confusion based on assumptions and tunnel vision. Too many think we are somehow based on or related to Linux, and often after reading the screens that say otherwise, though others find us by deep-linking. Some of that confusion is seeing Wine and making assumptions. I've encountered that (and countered that) on YouTube and other forums. One outsider wanted to argue with me saying that including Wine includes Linux, even after I explained that it is mostly only the user layer that is used, with some underlying code borrowed and modified to map to native Windows calls rather than Linux/Posix calls.

Anyway, it is hard to answer the poll since the premise doesn't match.
JoeHoward

Post by JoeHoward »

I would not say that after these years, something has changed or taken a different direction. I do not notice any significant changes, and I think that in the hands of Microsoft, the situation will only improve.
nelligan

Post by nelligan »

JoeHoward wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:27 pm I would not say that after these years, something has changed or taken a different direction. I do not notice any significant changes, and I think that in the hands of Microsoft, the situation will only improve.
I agree, there are a lot of examples of improving platforms after the Microsoft acquisition.
Gride

Post by Gride »

As we know, Microsoft announced a deal of buying Github for around $7.5 billion.

Let’s talk about Github first.

It is a web-based hosting service for version control using Git which is mostly used for computer code.

GitHub hosts around 80 million source code repositories and in the world around 30 million software developers use it.

There are few cloud infrastructure platforms like Amazon, Google, Microsoft, etc. as they will mature after a time they will likely become functionally equivalent for most of the cases. At that time for deploying the applications, it will not matter what you use Amazon AWS or Google’s Cloud, or Microsoft’s Azure platform.

So at that time, the focus will change from functional capabilities, serverless app support, etc to ease of use, experience, performance.

This is why Microsoft has acquired Github. To integrate its cloud services into the Github platform.

Microsoft will possibly integrate its could service to Github like in code repository an option to directly deploy the code to the Microsoft’s cloud, or run the project on Microsoft’s cloud with a single click and much more.

A seamless integration of Microsoft Azure in GitHub will make Microsoft’s cloud much easier to use, easily applicable.

So, overall in my choice, it is a nice move by Microsoft as it will also help in improving GitHub and giving it a proper direction in developm
TomasBeru0LN

Post by TomasBeru0LN »

It's really bad news for developers like me :( They are using it with IA so lot's of developer will loose their jobs.