Possibilities For NTVDM and other Sub-Systems

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Thanatophobia

Re: Possibilities For NTVDM and other Sub-Systems

Post by Thanatophobia »

erkinalp wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:58 pm I have the necessary and sufficient coding skills, but lack the necessary time (it's very difficuly to be a combined research&administrative assistant in one university and doctoral student in another, and more difficult to find a suitable contiguous timespan to make significant (non-toy) contribution to a third project), hence in the need of help.
I would help you, but unfortunately I don't have the sufficient knowledge or skills yet, but I'm learning. Though I am planning out an ReactOS distro that looks like Windows 7 with the features of Windows 10.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

erkinalp wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:58 pm I have the necessary and sufficient coding skills,
Sorry, but based on what you wrote here and in other topics I highly doubt this.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

WSL 2 is now ready for release. ENIW needs more developers before it becomes too late (MSFT open-sources Windows).
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

erkinalp wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:26 pm WSL 2 is now ready for release. ENIW needs more developers before it becomes too late (MSFT open-sources Windows).
ReactOS needs more developers too, before it becomes too late (the WW3 happens and the coronavirus kills everyone too).
Thanatophobia

Post by Thanatophobia »

Speaking of ENIW, not to burst your bubbles erkinalp, but would it be easier instead to include UNIX-like/POSIX subsystems that already exists for Windows, such as Cygwin or MSYS2 (both are licensed under GPL-compatible licenses)?

Also, I know that WSL 2 uses virtualization via Hyper-V. I don't know if ReactOS already has native virtualization, and if it does I guess there can be a way to implement ENIW using a real Linux kernel or an implementation similar to coLinux.

If anything, if the developers either chooses to implement the ENIW proposal or their own POSIX subsystem or not (if not bundled in I guess you can install Cygwin or MSYS2 on ReactOS the same way you can on Windows), it should be an optional component, since for most users there's obviously already a lot of software already available on Windows including free and open-source software you can also get on Linux, so for the average user there's no need for that audience to include a Linux/POSIX subsystem as a compatibility layer for getting most Linux software. It would most likely be useful instead for developers wanting to port UNIX/Linux software to Windows/ReactOS, or those who want to experiment with a UNIX environment and to compile and run some obscure Github project or bash terminal applications.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Cygwin and MSYS2 are not binary compatible with Linux.
Thanatopobia wrote:Also, I know that WSL 2 uses virtualization via Hyper-V. I don't know if ReactOS already has native virtualization, and if it does I guess there can be a way to implement ENIW using a real Linux kernel or an implementation similar to coLinux.
My proposal is more secure as only one kernel runs in system mode and the other is run in user mode.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2