How stable is ReactOS on Real Hardware?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

MugenFighter

How stable is ReactOS on Real Hardware?

Post by MugenFighter »

I have an old Notebook I bought on ebay that I was thinking about putting ReactOS on, but the thing is to install a new OS I have to remove the hard drive and plug it in to a different computer. Because the process of removing the hard drive, installing an OS on it, and re-inserting it takes time, which I am limited on, I want an OS that I can use for about 6 months for about 3 to 12 hours a week before having to upgrade it. This computer would be used just for fun. So my question is how stable does ReactOS tend to be when it is installed on real hardware through the Boot CD?
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
Black_Fox

Re: How stable is ReactOS on Real Hardware?

Post by Black_Fox »

MugenFighter wrote:I want an OS that I can use for about 6 months for about 3 to 12 hours a week before having to upgrade it. This computer would be used just for fun.
If your definition of fun is "to test various apps and observe their crashes", ROS will deliver :-) In reality, though, you will probably hit a filesystem corruption after a few hours -> unusable until reinstall.
MugenFighter wrote:So my question is how stable does ReactOS tend to be when it is installed on real hardware through the Boot CD?
Generally speaking, even less stable than when testing in VirtualBox; mostly because VirtualBox provides constant stable environment and already installed ethernet driver, while each RealHW is different and needs additional drivers. If you need anything done at all on that machine, don't just yet go the ROS way.

Why do you have to pull the HDD out each time you want to install OS on it?
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

It probably doesn't have an optical drive, or he doesn't have CD-RWs to burn frequent updates to.

But yeah, I'd be surprised if you could go six months without having to reinstall the OS. It would be pretty awesome if you could, though!
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

Black_Fox wrote:Why do you have to pull the HDD out each time you want to install OS on it?
It doesn't have a CD Drive and can't boot from the USB drive.
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

I have decided I will install a Linux host on the hard drive and use VirtualBox to emulate hardware to install ReactOS on. Thanks for the help.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Just wondering, what kind of laptop is it?
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

Pi_User5 wrote:Just wondering, what kind of laptop is it?
Sorry I took so long to respond. It is a Dell Latitude C400.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Sorry I took so long to respond. It is a Dell Latitude C400.
That is old!!!
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

Pi_User5 wrote:That is old!!!
I bought it to test ReactOS on, didn't do enough research on it.