which path/direction is the reactos is really going to?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

arlon1

which path/direction is the reactos is really going to?

Post by arlon1 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:12 pm

its been a long time since i had such great hopes for reactos and believed it'll leave alpha stage soon, after running the latest the 0.3.17 build of 2015(compared to the very 1st 3.17 release) on my virtual machine, i figured it might still have some chances bcoz of the great improvements; my only complain about it is the drivers. Now im thinkin of how should its user interface should be in the future and what concept should it follow or where should it be based upon... should we have that exact same concept and user interface just like in the community edition or simply build a windows clone that can bring life or revive old computer like http://lxle.net or lxle desktop os

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: which path/direction is the reactos is really going to?

Post by EmuandCo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:51 pm

Simple. The GUI will be based on the Windows NT 5 one. We are not planning any strange design concepts here. If someone wants to... Feel free to make one.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

powerplayer

Post by powerplayer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:53 pm

EmuandCo wrote:Simple. The GUI will be based on the Windows NT 5 one. We are not planning any strange design concepts here. If someone wants to... Feel free to make one.
That is good news i spent a lot of time and effort binging back the NTOS gui to windows 8 with a nifty program called classictheme.exe and another one called classic shell but that pesky dwm is hard to get rid of.

WorldBlender

Post by WorldBlender » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:41 am

powerplayer wrote: That is good news i spent a lot of time and effort binging back the NTOS gui to windows 8 with a nifty program called classictheme.exe and another one called classic shell but that pesky dwm is hard to get rid of.
I had tried to do something similar before (around Spring 2014), but on Windows 8.1. It involved me having the "go directly to the desktop" setting turned on, Classic Shell installed, and having dwm.exe renamed, instead of having it removed. It nearly went as normal, but almost all of the Metro/Modern UI things would appear black or invisible when I invoked them, and I had to stay in the desktop to avoid getting lost, although I could still click and navigate by keyboard on the now invisible items. :shock: Logging out, locking the screen, and pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete were not options, as I would not be able to see the items unless I could memorize their positions.
Worse, invoking a panel (network connections, charms bar, monitor connection, etc) made the area underneath it unclickable (it probably did not leave properly). :x Breaking functionality if I did this out of the box, Internet Explorer 11 would not display any webpages, although this did not happen with programs that used ieframe.dll (this problem didn't bother me, because I used a different web browser). For an Internet Explorer replacement, I found this open source program, myie9, that satisfied my need, if it arises (Its license is GNU GPL, but I'm unsure of what version, so I'm assuming GPL 2+).
I felt that so many of the GUI components are now very dependent on dwm.exe for rendering them. I really wanted to port the good GUI stuff from Windows 7 (including the Aero look and feel in that OS [as an option], its older Start button, the windowed versions of some of the built-in programs, and the Windows Classic theme), but I couldn't (it would take me too much time to port on my own, and could possibly run afoul of the Windows license agreements due to me having to do any reverse engineering). :evil: I wished I could go further and find a program that could replace the default explorer shell, but the efforts I already spent cost me too much time, so I renamed dwm.exe back to its original name, and continued my merry way, relieved of having to spend so much time that could be used somewhere else.

All of my screenshots I took as part of this experiment: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... =drive_web

manuel

Post by manuel » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:58 pm

EmuandCo wrote:Simple. The GUI will be based on the Windows NT 5 one. We are not planning any strange design concepts here. If someone wants to... Feel free to make one.
:( your work is admirable, I congratulate to you very much, but with respect and hoping don't offend I will make a question: why reactos should be an exact clone of windows xp?
We have simple interfaces but with many more functions which offered windows xp but I don't see anything like that here, the users have many improvements that can be traced in the various forums of reactos.org, and yet none of those new features has been implemented. I think that reactos has grow and hope that someday as well, greetings.

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:29 am

Right now, start with being as Windows-like as possible. Then once you get there, then you can see what can be varied from and still have sufficient compatibility. If others want to make some other monster, they are free to use ROS code as a base and go from there.

I don't code the modern stuff (only real mode DOS), but if I learned some C and Windows internals, and updated my assembly knowledge, I might be inclined to remove functionality I don't need, tailor it more to my specific hardware, maybe rework some things to use shortcuts, etc. And I might try assembly in critical places to try to tighten the code, though like others have said, compilers these days tend to be pretty good. And from what I've been told, I'd likely do better using a service pack approach. In fact, that might be the best way to stay synced. Uninstall the hypothetical pack, update ROS (when we get to that point), then reinstall the service pack. But it is all a pipe dream.

Or if someone wants to create a Windows-like gaming OS. For that, performance would be preferred over compatibility, since as long as it runs what the user wants as sleek as possible, they won't care that some obscure Win 3.x app won't work or that they can't use some obscure office program.

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:55 pm

hi
Reactos teem need to build the ground work before you can thinking about adding the bells and whistles

i am running windows 8.1 i use / classic shell / 4t Tray Minimizer Free / 7+ Taskbar Tweaker / Ribbon Disabler for Windows 8 /QTTabBar /Disable Full Row Select tweak / Mouse Acceleration Disable

Konata

Post by Konata » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:05 pm

MadWolf wrote:hi
Reactos teem need to build the ground work before you can thinking about adding the bells and whistles

i am running windows 8.1 i use / classic shell / 4t Tray Minimizer Free / 7+ Taskbar Tweaker / Ribbon Disabler for Windows 8 /QTTabBar /Disable Full Row Select tweak / Mouse Acceleration Disable
I never quite got this, it's a lot of extra work when you can just avoid 8. I'm just sticking with 7 until 10 comes out. Heck I stood with XP until 7 came out and I was fine. QTTabBar is an excellent tool though.

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:31 pm

Konata wrote:

I never quite got this, it's a lot of extra work when you can just avoid 8. I'm just sticking with 7 until 10 comes out. Heck I stood with XP until 7 came out and I was fine. QTTabBar is an excellent tool though.
have you looked at screenshots for windows 10? or use the TP ? you will need these tools to make windows 10 usable

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:43 pm

I prefer Clover over QTTabBar, but yeah, those are useful even in Win7.

Konata

Post by Konata » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:12 am

MadWolf wrote:
Konata wrote:

have you looked at screenshots for windows 10? or use the TP ? you will need these tools to make windows 10 usable
Have you? I've tried 10 and and it's perfectly fine, it feels like 7.