[IGG] The ReactOne by Reactor Systems

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

CodingWithClass

[IGG] The ReactOne by Reactor Systems

Post by CodingWithClass »

Link
I have started an IndieGoGo for a computer that comes with ReactOS 0.4.
From the IndieGoGo:
Sure, ReactOS is great for someone who can install it. Run Windows software without the bloat of Windows! But most people keep the OS that came with their system. The ReactOne is a system built for ReactOS and made to run on ROS 0.4 vanilla + ReactOne Updater.

I am looking to get $2,000 USD to build a computer around ReactOS, not having the ReactOS team support the hardware or anything of the sort.

EDIT: Let me rephrase this: I am looking for $2,000 to get the right combination of parts so the ReactOne runs ReactOS properly for the consumer version to work well. In other words, I need to make sure the parts I'm looking at are compatible with ReactOS, and, if they aren't, find others that are. Then the ReactOne will be released to consumers somewhere near the time ReactOS 0.4 is released.
Last edited by CodingWithClass on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dizt3mp3r

Re: [IGG] The ReactOne by Reactor Systems

Post by dizt3mp3r »

What a g.i.t. - I thought you were taking the p.i.55 when I wrote this, are you serious?

You need to post an image that looks like something half-decent not a crap image from some old site.

Your language in the IGG is obtuse and seems sarcastic in tone, makes it seem that it is a sarcastic joke towards ReactOS.

I wouldn't touch your IGG with a bargepole in its current condition. It needs a complete overhaul, images/text/everything.
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

So you're building a computer for... yourself?

CodingWithClass

Post by CodingWithClass »

karlexceed wrote:So you're building a computer for... yourself?
I updated the OP to answer this.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

dizt3mp3r wrote:What a g.i.t. - I thought you were taking the p.i.55 when I wrote this, are you serious?
I had to look up to confirm, because I wasn't 100% certain of the meaning.

$ git init
$ git add *.c
$ git add README
$ git commit -m '1. A completely ignorant, childish person with no manners. 2. A person who feels justified in their callow behaviour. '

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

You can call someone a git and get away with it, it isn't quite swearing. I really thought he was doing it as a joke, a piss-take.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

manuel

Post by manuel »

I have started an IndieGoGo for a computer that comes with ReactOS 0.4.
But is not unstable Reactos yet?

ImperialSpectre

Post by ImperialSpectre »

dizt3mp3r wrote:You can call someone a git and get away with it, it isn't quite swearing. I really thought he was doing it as a joke, a piss-take.
I thought ReactOS was open sourced meaning anyone can modify and redistribute provided that they give credit when due, if not then is ReactOS true nature proprietary? Perhaps someone can explain to me why there is this reaction to one of the newcomers and I thought also there was a policy of "don't bite newcomers".....

And just for the record the term "git" is actually swearing see http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Git

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

ImperialSpectre wrote:
dizt3mp3r wrote:You can call someone a git and get away with it, it isn't quite swearing. I really thought he was doing it as a joke, a piss-take.
I thought ReactOS was open sourced meaning anyone can modify and redistribute provided that they give credit when due, if not then is ReactOS true nature proprietary? Perhaps someone can explain to me why there is this reaction to one of the newcomers and I thought also there was a policy of "don't bite newcomers".....

And just for the record the term "git" is actually swearing see http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Git

Yes, I think technically there is no problem with it. ROS *IS* open source, after all, and thus people can use it as they see fit, as long as they subscribe to the GPL-licence. It's quite possible to make a product, or even set up a commerce, using ROS (as long as he doesn't act as if he's representing ROS or infringes trademark). If one doesn't like that, one shouldn't make it open source in the first place. So complaints about that are quite unwarranted.

That said, that was 'technically'. There are more sides to something than merely technical ones, though. I had a look, but I don't see any actual worth-addition to it. At least, not for the buyer/backer, though maybe for the one making it - but then again, why would I subsidise someone when I don't see added value in what he wants to do?

If I really wanted a computer with ROS* badly, I would have gone for the SOC they offered on their IGG project. So you *could* already get a computer with ROS there. The only thing new here is some vaunted 'automatic update', but that remains extremely vague, and isn't worth the money asked neither, to be honest. (at least, to me).

*actually, I already have a real hardware test-PC working with ROS, so I already have a 'ROS computer'. ;-)
Last edited by Webunny on Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

middings

Post by middings »

Webunny wrote:Yes, I think technically there is no problem with it.
I disagree. The names "ReactOne" and "Reactor Systems" mislead me, they appear to imply an actual connection with the ReactOS project. They may even infringe on the "ReactOS" trademark.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

middings wrote:
Webunny wrote:Yes, I think technically there is no problem with it.
I disagree. The names "ReactOne" and "Reactor Systems" mislead me, they appear to imply an actual connection with the ReactOS project. They may even infringe on the "ReactOS" trademark.
That's debatable. It's not because one uses 'ReactOS' that one can ban all other uses of things with 'react' in there.

In any case, he has the right to make a computer with ROS on it, and sell it. Whether one finds that, at this point, worth the money he's asking, is something else. As said, I don't see any added value. But that are two different issues.

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

someone can explain to me why there is this reaction to one of the newcomers and I thought also there was a policy of "don't bite newcomers
The reaction was because you gave no prior introduction to your IGG, it appeared out of the blue, the wording was very ambiguous and it looked (from the quality of the images/description) as if you were 'taking the mickey' out of ReactOS.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I don't understand the point of this. It looks like you want people to give you $2000 to buy a bunch of hardware in an attempt to build a complete computer that can run ReactOS so that you can begin selling a ReactOS-compatible computer. It is often necessary for entrepreneurs to acquire venture capital to develop a product, but this just seems absurd. A lot of people are already running ReactOS on real hardware, and you can find out what hardware they use for $0 by asking them. I really think you should incur the cost of finding compatible hardware yourself, especially if the trial and error approach that you seem to prefer to simply talking to ROS hardware testers is only going to cost $2000. If you don't even have $2000 to develop this product, where are you going to get the money to produce and distribute it? Presumably another IGG campaign. Is there any expense you don't want the general public to pay for you? Sorry, but you have to invest at least a little of your own money and assume at least a little of the risk of any venture. We do indeed live in a crowdfunding age, but I take issue with the idea of being able to just shout out into the internets that you have an idea and would like other people to finance that idea from beginning to end. Build the computer first and then go to IGG for funding to mass produce it -- I have no problem with that. Ask the internet to pay for the very small amount of money you need, because you aren't willing to risk even that much of your own money, and I see a person who has ZERO personal investment in the project and has nothing to lose if it fails. You have to "put some skin in the game". If you're not willing to risk any of your own money, you certainly aren't risking any of mine. At this point, all you're really promising in exchange for this $2000 is a free computer for yourself.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Well said.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

So, my dear friends. Now everyone cools down again and starts to use the thread for what it was opened for. Otherwise...
[ external image ]
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.